British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Oxford v Birmingham Wed 14th June CL

It was like the night of the long knives when this happened at Perry Barr after covid, the track then was just rubbish. Mistakes happen so time to move on and learn from bad experiences. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Don't tell me they have more roadworks than round here..

Haha, yes the West Midlands has roadworks everywhere.  I ended up coming past Blenhiem Palace on the Woodstock Rd.. Not exactly sure where it was but it took about 40 minutes to get through some rotten three way control roadworks on what looks like normally a dual carriage way.

Well my first visit to Oxford Speedway, I won't be quick to return.  The track was an absolute mess and almost unrideable at the start, 40 minutes of tractoring and 2 heat 2 first turn falls I thought that would be it.  Did they empty the River Cherwell to water it pre meeting?  Blimey!
It wasn't a spectacle but I don't think the fairly feeble Brummies septet helped on that score.  Sedgeman, Morris final 3 rides (awful before that) at least gave the Cheetahs something to worry about.  Pearson wasn't far off the action but never really looked threatening, Bowtell did OK.  Kemp rode OK in his final ride, but the Thompsons were very poor.  As for Cheetah's I was impressed by Henry Atkins, knew what to expect at this level from Masters, Kerr & Nicholls.  At least between Sedgeman & Morris they were all denied maximums.
I was annoyed that having sat there for the 40 minutes of tractoring they then had an interval after heat 10!  At least the racing got better after that interval, heat 12 being the pick.  I was grateful that the promotion did race through the heats after the prolonged delay to the start.  The track did look like it could produce good racing.
Stadium is a better version of Perry Barr, the steep terracing gives a decent view from the start/finish straight and the third/forth turns.  Shame (again like Perry Barr) if on the start/finish straight until the sun goes below the trees you do an awful lot of squinting.  View from the third/forth turns was better but it was getting a bit dusty around heat 8, not that I wanted the curator to put anymore water on it!

4 hours ago, Petecc said:

It was like the night of the long knives when this happened at Perry Barr after covid, the track then was just rubbish. Mistakes happen so time to move on and learn from bad experiences. 

Yep, overwatering happens occasionally when it's hot, not the first track and won't be the last. If people want to cut their noses off to spite their faces they'd up to them but it would be more sensible to consider all the good meetings since April 2022 rather than one bad one.

The track situation was unfortunate to start with, but these things happen, but I can understand people's frustration at the delay.   Remedial work can sometimes have an even worse effect on a track, so credit for getting things improved.    Thought Brummies a little hard done by Heat 2 but overall little impact on the result and as Stewart Dickson has said today, changes needed for Brum to push for that up for grab 6th place in the league.

Very impressed by the size of the crowd and also the number of families in at Oxford, the place will be absolutely packed next week for Poole's visit I should Imagine.

1 hour ago, The H Man said:

The track situation was unfortunate to start with, but these things happen, but I can understand people's frustration at the delay.   Remedial work can sometimes have an even worse effect on a track, so credit for getting things improved.    Thought Brummies a little hard done by Heat 2 but overall little impact on the result and as Stewart Dickson has said today, changes needed for Brum to push for that up for grab 6th place in the league.

Very impressed by the size of the crowd and also the number of families in at Oxford, the place will be absolutely packed next week for Poole's visit I should Imagine.

Showers next week atm Vs Poole. Normally I would say might be a bit 50/50 if it is on or not, but seeing as they flood the track anyway, sure it will be fine!