British Speedway Forum
iris123

Andrew Silver

Excellent clip Grachan!

Made this "Old Fart" remember why I still go to speedway each week. :D

I reckon his 'decline' came about because he had his hair cut, kinda like that Samson bloke. (No, not Lou or Mike! The one in the bible!)

Must say that i always remember him with the long flowing locks,but looking back in my photo collection he went through hairstyles like Beckham :D

Great mpeg Grachan, what was the meeting? who were the other riders involved?

Wouldn't it be great to have a thread on the forum with everyone chipping in their favourite video clips, I mean quality clips like this.

Witchnut

Guest maddriver

Was that Kenny C he overtook??

Guest maddriver

Ooh nooo, just read the answer on another topic, my original thought was Donkey but somehow convinced myself it was Carter..:oops:

A truly brilliant rider to watch, very exciting and stylish to boot. We had hopes of him signing for Cradley after some great guest appearances in the mid 80's, but he went to Swindon. A great racer.

I remember the first time he came to Owlerton in 1988,in his first race he went charging into the 3rd turn flatout (arms and legs trailing allover the place lol) pulled a huge locker mid turn,span round and fell off,picked himself up,bowed to the highly amused crowd,hopped back on the bike and took it slower the the next time round!

He was rumoured to be on Sheffield's shopping list for 1989,along with Joe Screen... :sad:

The race is Heat 4 of Swindon v Ipswich on 29 August 1988. Final score: Swindon 51 Ipswich 37.

See my signature for the riders in the race.

Young Sunbrite Lions vs. The Wallabies ,Hackney sept 12 1986

A.Silver 14+3b.points

A.Galvin 14+3b.p

P.Thorp 16

M.Dugard 10+6b.p

J.Luckhurst 6

G.Havelock 8+1

A.Stevens 0

N.Tatum 6

Admitedly against a poor Aussie side but Silver and Galvin were only beaten in race 1 by Steve Regeling

When was Andy riding for Eastbourne then? The only time i went to speedway between 91 and 2002 was 95 Eastbourne vs Bradford and he wasnt in the team

Edited by iris123

Andrew was at Eastbourne sometime between 1989 and 1992 i think but cannot remember exactly when. I think Len was involved in the promotion team at the time.

Was riding for Swindon at the last meeting when the Dons finished in 91,so must have been the year later :unsure:

Put a few pics on www.community.webshots.com/user/maccattack

Hi-oh joined Eastbourne in the winter of 91-92. 1992 was the year when Swindon finally got relegated to Division Two and one of the matches that sent them down was a clash between Arena and Eastbourne.

Brian Karger (having been dropped at Swindon mid-season) and Bo Petersen riding for Arena and Hi-oh and Peter Nahlin riding for Eastbourne. if memory serves correctly Eastbourne needed a win over Arena to stay up and the riders involved in a last heat decider were those previously mentioned.

without doubt Andrew Silver was one of my teenage heroes and one race i remember most vividly was in 1987 when he after tracking down Eriksen and Stekkers (Wolverhampton) for two laps rode straight through the middle of them coming out of the fourth bend. the roar from the crowd was one of the loudest i've ever heard at Blunsdon.

Edited by KiddlyKestrel

It was 1992 ! I am glad my brain is still working a bit. :o It must have been 1993 when Andrew was at Coventry in an Eagles v Bees match and retired. What a loss to speedway. This thread has brought back some happy memories for me. B)

Nice to see Andrew Silver remembered. He was one of those riders you loved to hate as an opposition rider - kind of like an early version on Nicki P and one of my favourites from the early 90s. Hard as nails but always looked forward to watching him as an opposition rider beacuse you never knew what was going to happen. Remember some right goings on when we visited Arlington and some races involving our Tom Knudsen (not the Bees one) and then Boycie with first Tom ending up under the fence and then Silver a couple of races later.

Shame he left the sport when he did - definitely one of the characters. Good to hear he's still kind of still in contact with the sport through Rye House :D

www.community.webshots.com/user/maccattack

Is the address correct? I can't get anything.