British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

First Rider To Carry A Sponsor's Name On Their Leathers?

8 hours ago, chunky said:

SHORT??? It consisted of one meeting, two rides, and a point. At Newcastle on 18th May, 1981.

Yes if I recall he had been signed by Cradley (who ran the show at Cowley at the time) and loaned out to the "Cheetahs" and as you say it was short-lived...he did ride in a second half or two at Cowley if I remember?

On 8/24/2023 at 7:23 PM, RS50 said:

It says he had the backing of top trials rider Peter Fletcher who owned a motorcycle business in Leeds.

Fletcher also sponsored Eric Boocock - he actually refers to him on our Memories of Halifax Speedway DVD.

• Like 1

Briggo & Ivan were works riders, so no real surprise they had Jawa on Leathers

I seem to recall the one of the first with no apparent connection to speedway, was Smith Crisps with Jim McMillan.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, steve roberts said:

Another teaser and although some riders had the leather manufacturer's logo emblazoned on their leathers not sure if they were necessarily sponsored by same? I'm sure that Ivan Mauger must have been one of the first? I recall some of his early leathers displaying "valvoline" and he did display "TT Leathers" who sponsored him and "Jawa" as did Briggo. Both Garry Middleton and Eric Boocock wore Lewis Leathers who sponsored them and they also carried the logo on their leathers. Of couse much later there was Ray Wilson with his famous "Bostik" leathers but by the middle seventies many riders carried sponsored brands on their leathers.

Noah

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Noah

?