British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Berwick vs Plymouth SGB Champ 7pm 09/09/23

Well..... you wouldn't think there was a meeting on at Berwick tonight.  5 and a half hours before tapes up and neither team have a preview on their websites.  The BSPL have TBC in both teams, so heaven only knows what the line-ups are.

If the teams (particularly the hosts) can't be bothered, then why should the fans.

And they wonder why the sport is dying on its backside.

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 6

On the Plymouth side Steve I suppose it depends on if howarth is fit after his off last night, and now Birmingham are out of the playoffs I bet sedgeman will have a really good night. If I lived in Berwick it would be a tough one to part with me money if I didn’t no who was riding. After reading berwicks statement about next year I can totally see why they will only be running one team next year I hope we find out soon what Plymouth’s plans are for next year soon.

1 minute ago, Mike0310 said:

On the Plymouth side Steve I suppose it depends on if howarth is fit after his off last night, and now Birmingham are out of the playoffs I bet sedgeman will have a really good night. If I lived in Berwick it would be a tough one to part with me money if I didn’t no who was riding. After reading berwicks statement about next year I can totally see why they will only be running one team next year I hope we find out soon what Plymouth’s plans are for next year soon.

Sedgman rode well last night for his own team 

If I’d known, I might have made the trip for this, as I’ve not made it to Berwick this season. But if they can’t be bothered, I can’t either.

• Like 1

"Preview" (if you can call it that) on the Plymouth website:

The Plymouth Prow Park race their final meeting of the 2023 Cab Direct Championship when they take on The Berwick Bandits at Shielfield Park tonight (9th September) 

Following last night’s defeat against Edinburgh, the Gladiators will be looking for a result to avoid picking up the wooden spoon, with both teams tied on 4 points at the bottom of the table.

Justin Sedgman and Matt Marson again come in for the injured Ben Barker and Dan Thompson, with rider replacement operating for the injured Dan Gilkes. 

Tapes up at 7pm

Berwick Bandits:1.Rory Schlein 2. (tbc) 3. Jye Etheridge 4. Leon Flint  5. Hans Andersen 6. Jacob Hook 7. Luke Killeen

Plymouth Gladiators:1. Kyle Howarth, 2. Rider replacement (Dan Gilkes) 3. Matt Marson, 4. Justin Sedgmen, 5. (Guest for Richie Worrall tbc), 6. James Pearson, 7. Ben Trigger."

This is copied and pasted from the site, so don't blame me that they can't spell Sedgmen correctly. Also note the new name of the visitors!!

6 minutes ago, StevePark said:

"Preview" (if you can call it that) on the Plymouth website:

The Plymouth Prow Park race their final meeting of the 2023 Cab Direct Championship when they take on The Berwick Bandits at Shielfield Park tonight (9th September) 

Following last night’s defeat against Edinburgh, the Gladiators will be looking for a result to avoid picking up the wooden spoon, with both teams tied on 4 points at the bottom of the table.

Justin Sedgman and Matt Marson again come in for the injured Ben Barker and Dan Thompson, with rider replacement operating for the injured Dan Gilkes. 

Tapes up at 7pm

Berwick Bandits:1.Rory Schlein 2. (tbc) 3. Jye Etheridge 4. Leon Flint  5. Hans Andersen 6. Jacob Hook 7. Luke Killeen

Plymouth Gladiators:1. Kyle Howarth, 2. Rider replacement (Dan Gilkes) 3. Matt Marson, 4. Justin Sedgmen, 5. (Guest for Richie Worrall tbc), 6. James Pearson, 7. Ben Trigger."

This is copied and pasted from the site, so don't blame me that they can't spell Sedgmen correctly. Also note the new name of the visitors!!

Simon Lambert guesting for Plymouth

• Thanks 1

Can the meeting go ahead tonight Plymouth don't have a full team. They are 3 short plus rider replacement ??

4 minutes ago, Audiscore said:

Can the meeting go ahead tonight Plymouth don't have a full team. They are 3 short plus rider replacement ??

Only works in the Premiership.

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Well..... you wouldn't think there was a meeting on at Berwick tonight.  5 and a half hours before tapes up and neither team have a preview on their websites.  The BSPL have TBC in both teams, so heaven only knows what the line-ups are.

If the teams (particularly the hosts) can't be bothered, then why should the fans.

And they wonder why the sport is dying on its backside.

Ukraine v England in the football, England v Argentina in the rugby, free guided walks along the Union Chain Bridge along with a silent film with live music at Norham Village Hall all creates the perfect storm that will see many not bothering tonight, and no amount of free parking will save the day. 

Personally the tripe that I sat through in Glasgow`s demolition of Berwick a few weeks ago was enough to end my season there and then and the efforts at Scunthorpe last night have done nothing to convince otherwise. Also the apathy shown from both clubs is another good reason not to bother.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, screm said:

Ukraine v England in the football, England v Argentina in the rugby, free guided walks along the Union Chain Bridge along with a silent film with live music at Norham Village Hall all creates the perfect storm that will see many not bothering tonight, and no amount of free parking will save the day. 

Personally the tripe that I sat through in Glasgow`s demolition of Berwick a few weeks ago was enough to end my season there and then and the efforts at Scunthorpe last night have done nothing to convince otherwise. Also the apathy shown from both clubs is another good reason not to bother.

...and Last Night of the Proms...

Or is that just me?

• Like 1

I’m gutted for the promoter what’s he meant to do injuries have ravaged our season but I bet if there’s no team tonight he will kop a fine for it we are both out of the playoffs why can this not go ahead next week, it matters not a jot to anyone it’s no good for berwicks promotion having to run a pointless meeting like this against the football and the rugby they will be out of pocket it’s not fair all round to either promotions Berwick will run up a cricket score which as much as you want to win is going to cost there owners a fortune with the supporters not there tonight to cover it.

No preview from Bandits as the Gladiators don’t have a team yet and Berwick don’t want to announce riders that aren’t coming, like what Plymouth do for away meetings (Glasgow away being the example). Not blaming Plymouth for not having a team either, been very unlucky with injuries this season, and guests just aren’t interested most of the time. Bad night in store all round really.

7 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

I’m gutted for the promoter what’s he meant to do injuries have ravaged our season but I bet if there’s no team tonight he will kop a fine for it we are both out of the playoffs why can this not go ahead next week, it matters not a jot to anyone it’s no good for berwicks promotion having to run a pointless meeting like this against the football and the rugby they will be out of pocket it’s not fair all round to either promotions Berwick will run up a cricket score which as much as you want to win is going to cost there owners a fortune with the supporters not there tonight to cover it.

There are Plymouth fans here for the meeting so you want them to go home and come back next week when there is an NDL meeting as well

• Haha 1

I’m speaking because Plymouth don’t have a team at the moment my heart goes out to them loyal Plymouth fans but as it stands they won’t have anything to watch as has been quoted Plymouth don’t have a team.