British Speedway Forum
stumper

Redcar v Scunthorpe KO Cup Semi Final (2nd Leg) 06/10/23

Just now, scorpion61 said:

after that masterclass you’d have big super simon over anyone. He did lawson and flint in 15 like they were stood still. Even carried on for a rare, dodgy wheelie which topped off the masterclass! 

TBH Simon has had one, if not his best season ever, which is great to see. He's "stuck at it" when others might have been tempted to "chuck it in". 

• Like 5

Just now, StevePark said:

TBH Simon has had one, if not his best season ever, which is great to see. He's "stuck at it" when others might have been tempted to "chuck it in". 

he attacked bends 1&2 which not many of them were doing and it payed off. Best season of his career!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Seemed everyone was struggling with second bend. Several riders going into it and virtually stopping to get the bike turned. Tractors did their 26 laps up to heat 13, spoiling the flow of the meeting as usual at the STMP.  Well done Scorpions you did us proud, just the Pirates left to beat to  finish the season off in style- A big ask but who knows over 30 heats?

Tractors only went out at Scunthorpe riders requests but let’s not spoil the flow of a meeting to keep you happy and your riders unhappy.

Best team won, good luck at Poole.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

In my opinion we have not had a good track since the last meeting before the CLRC. This is not knocking the track staff or the club, it is the weather we have had leading up to the meetings or on the day. We have used covers, graded dirt off, put dirt on etc and the track has not been its usual self. Off the top of my head:

CLRC- rain before hand

Glasgow- rained off after 12

Oxford- rained before start

Glasgow-rained most of week before 

Scunthorpe- poured down Thursday

Not looking to make an excuse for preparation, just had a bad throw of the dice weather wise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Tractors only went out at Scunthorpe riders requests but let’s not spoil the flow of a meeting to keep you happy and your riders unhappy.

Best team won, good luck at Poole.

Isn't it the home riders or manager/promoter that gets to change the track or the referee if he feels that the track is unsafe?

Didn't you have a meeting early season due to the track being too soft & spongy(weather related). 

2 hours ago, Biffa said:

In my opinion we have not had a good track since the last meeting before the CLRC. This is not knocking the track staff or the club, it is the weather we have had leading up to the meetings or on the day. We have used covers, graded dirt off, put dirt on etc and the track has not been its usual self. Off the top of my head:

CLRC- rain before hand

Glasgow- rained off after 12

Oxford- rained before start

Glasgow-rained most of week before 

Scunthorpe- poured down Thursday

Not looking to make an excuse for preparation, just had a bad throw of the dice weather wise. 

That’s why theses fixtures should have been raced earlier in the season when tracks are drier and can be worked on 

9 team s in a league , BSN series and knockout cup fixtures and still riding in mid October is crazy

• Like 5

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Isn't it the home riders or manager/promoter that gets to change the track or the referee if he feels that the track is unsafe?

Didn't you have a meeting early season due to the track being too soft & spongy(weather related). 

Anybody, rider, team or managers can REQUEST a track grade, it’s upto the Ref if he allows it.

17 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Anybody, rider, team or managers can REQUEST a track grade, it’s upto the Ref if he allows it.

Always thought it was Clerk of Course who dictates track grades.

Anyone can request it

45 minutes ago, weatherman said:

Always thought it was Clerk of Course who dictates track grades.

Anyone can request it

No, The CoC is just the referees assistant and pits coordinator, he/she has no power to require a track grade, he/ she would merely pass any requests to the ref.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

No, The CoC is just the referees assistant and pits coordinator, he/she has no power to require a track grade, he/ she would merely pass any requests to the ref.

Not correct. The ref asks the Clerk of the Course when you are grading and when interval is.

That I know as fact having assisted many a time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherman said:

Not correct. The ref asks the Clerk of the Course when you are grading and when interval is.

That's true but the coc cannot tell the referee when it will be grading only team managers and the track curator can also. Hopefully that clear's that up? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SSL84 said:

That's true but the coc cannot tell the referee when it will be grading only team managers and the track curator can also. Hopefully that clear's that up? 

He can I assure you

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weatherman said:

As a current clerk of the course I can inform you this is all sorted at a pre meeting discussion . The referee runs the meeting, and track grading is sorted between the ref, the team managers and the track curator .

Team managers, riders etc can ASK for track grades during a meeting at any time, this occurred on Friday, but it’s upto the ref if he allows it.

Some tracks don’t have intervals , Redcar being one of them.

Im sure every Clerk has his own club protocol to discuss with a referee before a meeting.

Edited by KK62
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, KK62 said:

As a current clerk of the course I can inform you this is all sorted at a pre meeting discussion . The referee runs the meeting, and track grading is sorted between the ref, the team managers and the track curator .

Team managers, riders etc can ASK for track grades during a meeting at any time, this occurred on Friday, but it’s upto the ref if he allows it.

Some tracks don’t have intervals , Redcar being one of them.

Im sure every Clerk has his own club protocol to discuss with a referee before a meeting.

Time to come clean.

As a clerk of the course I  seek advice from team managers but I tell track curator and ref when we grade.

It's not set in stone but it's a democratic discussion as to when and where we have them. 

Interval as well  can also tell you the promoter has a say in this as well.

1 hour ago, weatherman said:

Time to come clean.

As a clerk of the course I  seek advice from team managers but I tell track curator and ref when we grade.

It's not set in stone but it's a democratic discussion as to when and where we have them. 

Interval as well  can also tell you the promoter has a say in this as well.

Wow! I wouldn’t even imagine telling my track curator ( Jonathan ) when to do his job !

and I don’t seek advice from team managers either . The Ref is in charge and the promoter tells me what he would like to happen.

I wouldn’t be in the role long if I told them their jobs !