British Speedway Forum
bigred

Edinburgh “24 Team

4 hours ago, crescent girl said:

But you also thought Cookie was a good captain, didn't you? 

Yes.

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Don’t think being captain is that big a deal in speedway you flip a coin and pick heads or takes for the gate pick which as a team you discuss before hand anyway. 

Depends a bit on mentality. Some feel a lot of pressure from it. Others aren’t bothered. At Glasgow last year, Tom was definitely the former, and Bomber was the latter.

• Like 2

All the best to max Clegg with his future endeavours with his announcement of his retirement from the sport. 

A young Brit who has been shafted on several occasions over the years from others self interests. 

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

A young Brit who has been shafted on several occasions over the years from others self interests. 

Would you care to list and provide details of these "several occasions" you refer to? My memory isn't as good as it used to be.

That aside, all the very best to young Max. A rider who I first saw pootling around Owlerton as Sheffield mascot and whose scores I followed from a very early stage of his career, even more so after discovering he was a Wayne Carter protégé.

One of the few riders who can say they've won a race with a broken leg!

Was absolutely delighted when he signed for the Monarchs in 2015. One of the most entertaining riders to watch at sunny Armadale. There were quite a few meetings when he achieved more successful passing manoeuvres than the rest of the riders put together. Mundane fixtures could be brought to life when Max was on track.

Granted, he could also be quite frustrating to watch at times. While there was no doubting his talents, his generally poor gating did appear to hinder his scoring, especially on away tracks. However, I always defended him when others seemed intent on criticism.

An excellent servant to the clubs he rode for throughout his career. Pleased he collected so many medals, team and individual, and I hope he has lots of happy memories to look back on from his time in the sport.

Good luck Max :)

• Like 2