British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vicar

Leicester 1959

Thanks, E.I. I was at both of those meetings.

4 hours ago, norbold said:

Thanks, BL. Do you know how many attended West Ham's opening meeting in 1964?

Georgia Smithson and I looked at NL and PL attendances for the early part of the season in the course of research for our book on Sunderland in 1964.  The East London Advertiser suggested that the crowd at West Ham on opening night was in the region of 12,000, although Speedway Star claimed 15,000 were there.  The Advertiser subsequently reported that the attendance rose to 15,000 for the third home meeting, against Ove Fundin and Norwich.  When Barry Briggs and Swindon visited West Ham on 26th May, the Swindon Advertiser estimated 8,000 attended.

• Like 1

Is a mystery solved? -BL65 are you Keith Corns?? The  mention of you and Georgia Smithson seem to give it away, if so your Sunderland book was great a super read

On 1/3/2024 at 3:02 AM, BOBBATH said:

Is a mystery solved? -BL65 are you Keith Corns?? The  mention of you and Georgia Smithson seem to give it away, if so your Sunderland book was great a super read

Many thanks Bob.  Georgia (now Dr. Smithson BSc (hons), MA, PhD) and I are glad you enjoyed the book.