British Speedway Forum
brianmaxtedfan

BL2 Pairs Championship, Reading 4.9.88

Does anyone know the complete results of the  British League Division 2 Pairs Championship held at Reading on 4th September 1988.  The Speedway Star does give a very limited report - naming Wolverhampton (Ade Hoole and Lee Edwards) as winners, Belle Vue (Carl Stonehewer and Paul Smith) second, Bradford (Bryan Larner and Phil Hill) 3rd, Coventry and Ipswich tying for4th.  I would like to know more details, plus which were the other two teams in it.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, brianmaxtedfan said:

Does anyone know the complete results of the  British League Division 2 Pairs Championship held at Reading on 4th September 1988.  The Speedway Star does give a very limited report - naming Wolverhampton (Ade Hoole and Lee Edwards) as winners, Belle Vue (Carl Stonehewer and Paul Smith) second, Bradford (Bryan Larner and Phil Hill) 3rd, Coventry and Ipswich tying for4th.  I would like to know more details, plus which were the other two teams in it.  Thanks 

Can probably dig this out, but am on holiday at present. If you are still looking for the result in a week's time let me know

On 1/24/2024 at 12:02 PM, arnieg said:

Can probably dig this out, but am on holiday at present. If you are still looking for the result in a week's time let me know

Hi Arnie,  I wondered if you were able to find out the result of this meeting, thanks, Alan

Final Group:

1 Wolves 21 (Lee Edwards 14, Ade Hoole 7)

2 Belle Vue 20 ( Paul Smith 12, Carl Stonehwer 8)

3 Bradford  17 (Brian Larner  9, Phil Hill 8)

4 Ipswich 15 (John Cooper 15, Mark Lindup 0)

4 Coventry 15 (Mick Bacon 6, Trevor Clarke 0, reserves 9)

There were three qualifying groups, with top 2 from groups A & B and winner only of group C advancing.

Gp A

1 Ipswich 17 (Cooper 12 & Lindup 5)

2 Coventry 15 (Clarke 8, Bacon 7)

3 Swindon 13 (Mathew Cross 11, Stephen Rose 2)

4 Cradley 9 (David Haynes 5, Matthew Powell 4)

Gp B

1 Wolves 15 (Edwards 11 & Hoole 4)

2 Belle Vue 14 (Smith 12 & Stonehewer 2)

3 Sheffield 13 (Mike Long 9 & David Clay 4)

4 Reading 10 (Troy Smith 8 & Gary Tagg 2)

Gp C

1 Bradford 10 (Larner 8 & Hill 2)

2 King's Lynn 9 (Adrian Stevens 6 & Roger Horspool 3)

3 Oxford 8 (Paul Muchene 6 & Kevin Pitts 2)

Paul Smith was unbeaten apart from an exclusion  in ht 5 of the final, and also recorded the fastest time (in ht 3 of final).

Note all scoring 4-3-2-0

Edited by arnieg

Hi Arnie.  Many thanks for this, appreciated.  If you get a few minutes spare, could you let me know the results of the three races involving the Sheffield pair.  Thanks,  Alan

On 2/12/2024 at 1:18 PM, brianmaxtedfan said:

Hi Arnie.  Many thanks for this, appreciated.  If you get a few minutes spare, could you let me know the results of the three races involving the Sheffield pair.  Thanks,  Alan

Ht 2 Edwards, Long, Hoole, Clay

Ht 10 Paul Smith, Long, Stonehewer, Clay

Ht 13 Clay, Long, Troy Smith, Tagg (ret)

On 2/18/2024 at 9:11 AM, arnieg said:

Ht 2 Edwards, Long, Hoole, Clay

Ht 10 Paul Smith, Long, Stonehewer, Clay

Ht 13 Clay, Long, Troy Smith, Tagg (ret)

Thank-you, appreciated.