British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rusky

Brian Griffin - RIP

It is being widely reported on Social Media that ex-promoter. and all round speedway fan, Brian Griffin has passed away in his sleep. As a promoter, Brian was (in my opinion) ahead of his time and I'm confident in saying that the opening night at King's Lynn when Brian & Waggy were the promoters was probably the most lavish & spectacular presentation you will ever see of any speedway meeting. Brian used his connections within the film & TV business to put on a show that was considered by many to be outrageous, but spectacular it was. I was travelling from the South that night having been working in London and the 'Movie Premiere Searchlights' could be seen for miles away. Nobody within a 10 mile radius of Saddlebow Road that night would not have known it was the beginning of a new era for King's Lynn speedway, albeit as the Knights, rather than the stars. It has to be said that several riders, notably Simon Wigg & Chris Louis benefitted from Brian's friendship.

Not everybodies cup of tea, but I for one think that speedway could do with more Brian Griffin's (and indeed Grahan Drury - its been a bad week for Speedway promotion).

RIP Brian, thank you for the memories

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rusky said:

It is being widely reported on Social Media that ex-promoter. and all round speedway fan, Brian Griffin has passed away in his sleep. As a promoter, Brian was (in my opinion) ahead of his time and I'm confident in saying that the opening night at King's Lynn when Brian & Waggy were the promoters was probably the most lavish & spectacular presentation you will ever see of any speedway meeting. Brian used his connections within the film & TV business to put on a show that was considered by many to be outrageous, but spectacular it was. I was travelling from the South that night having been working in London and the 'Movie Premiere Searchlights' could be seen for miles away. Nobody within a 10 mile radius of Saddlebow Road that night would not have known it was the beginning of a new era for King's Lynn speedway, albeit as the Knights, rather than the stars. It has to be said that several riders, notably Simon Wigg & Chris Louis benefitted from Brian's friendship.

Not everybodies cup of tea, but I for one think that speedway could do with more Brian Griffin's (and indeed Grahan Drury - its been a bad week for Speedway promotion).

RIP Brian, thank you for the memories

Well said.  Yep very sad news to wake up to today.  I got to know him via the old email forums donkeys years ago and in later years when i moved up to london spent a good few nights out and about.  He was still a big fan even many years after his involvement ended and was a lovely chap.  Will be missed by many.  

Back to lurk mode for me now but just wanted to comment. Cheers.  

• Like 1

I had many late night chats with Brian online with a few glasses of wine. He said he worked better fired up. Nice chap and sad news. R I P Brian.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Well said.  Yep very sad news to wake up to today.  I got to know him via the old email forums donkeys years ago and in later years when i moved up to london spent a good few nights out and about.  He was still a big fan even many years after his involvement ended and was a lovely chap.  Will be missed by many.  

Back to lurk mode for me now but just wanted to comment. Cheers.  

Ah, the email mailing list - I remember it well , and yes that was where i initially met him, and then with his sponsorship of both Wiggy & Chris before he came to Lynn. The outpouring of grief on his Facebook page is very strong, and its obvious from there just how highly respected he was in his chosen profession.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rusky said:

Ah, the email mailing list - I remember it well , and yes that was where i initially met him, and then with his sponsorship of both Wiggy & Chris before he came to Lynn. The outpouring of grief on his Facebook page is very strong, and its obvious from there just how highly respected he was in his chosen profession.

I recognise your name actually from the list, good to see you still around, seems so long ago now - the love being show on his facebook is touching, so many people across the world with with some lovely tributes. 

Yes recognise your name too I believe. Still nothing from the BSPA though I believe.....

Very sad news.

Like a few others on here, I remember Brian well from the old days and had some great discussions with him.

It always seemed like the sport didn't take best advantage of having someone so talented involved with the sport.

RIP Brian.

• Like 1