British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

First Time Triumphs & Disasters

FIRST TIME TRIUMPHS AND DISASTERS

OUR social media forum theme this week is all about ‘the first time’.

Tell us about the most memorable rider debuts for your team (good or bad) and/or opening night meetings. Maybe a new signing romped to a thrilling maximum, or crashed, or had mechanical gremlins and didn’t score a point?

I appreciate that the disastrous postponed Belle Vue NSS curtain-raiser in March 2016 will be readily recalled by many but please try and look beyond that – and the quirkier the better.

An explanation (rather than just simply typing a rider's name or track name) would also be most helpful and much appreciated.

Best responses will be included in my forthcoming Speedway Star feature.

Thank you,
Tony Mac

One of my favourite debuts for Somerset was Matt Read. Must of been back in 2003 if memory serves me correctly, as we had been pretty rubbish and he came in as a new signing against Exeter.

He romped to a paid maximum from his programmed rides before finishing on 12+2 from 5 rides and featuring one of my favourite speedway photos of years gone by as seen below.

He became abit of a cult hero at Somerset… even more so when he had an almighty crash and ended up clearing the safety fence. Unfortunately his career was cut short but a long track crash I think it was but a definite triumph!

MattRead2.jpg

• Like 3

He cleared the fence on bend 2 at Newport, minus the bike, looked to be an horrendous accident as he flew through the air and disappeared out of sight,1Minute later he popped back over the fence like nothing had happened !

2 hours ago, piston197 said:

He cleared the fence on bend 2 at Newport, minus the bike, looked to be an horrendous accident as he flew through the air and disappeared out of sight,1Minute later he popped back over the fence like nothing had happened !

Unless he managed the same feat at Newport too, he 100% cleared the fence at Somerset. I can’t recall who that was against though. 

On that note, I remember Jordan Frampton crashing and going up and over the fence at Somerset aswell along with his bike. Got up, walked back to the pits and then scored a maximum against us. Some effort!

6 hours ago, Najjer said:

Unless he managed the same feat at Newport too, he 100% cleared the fence at Somerset. I can’t recall who that was against though. 

On that note, I remember Jordan Frampton crashing and going up and over the fence at Somerset aswell along with his bike. Got up, walked back to the pits and then scored a maximum against us. Some effort!

Got feeling that 'trip over the fence' was courtesy of James Grieves' back wheel which was why the Somerset fans never liked him much after that when he visited the OTA.

I remember that Readie debut as well!

Yes perhaps he made a habit of it, deffo went over at Newport as well. some of the worst looking crashes miraculously end up with no one hurt, and the most simple slide offs can be life changing ,I remember seeing Marek Mroz straighten up on turn 3/ 4 at Haley Meadows and hit the pit gate head on at full throttle, hard enough to burst it open, and yet walk away from it ! and Will Beveridge attacking Emil Lindqvist after Sean Courtney came to grief in a heat , putting Emil out of the heat  with a broken collarbone

Speedway: Not guilty says Tigers star in punch-up row. - Free Online Library (thefreelibrary.com)

Edited by piston197