British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

First Ever BL Race

21 hours ago, BL65 said:

By the closing weeks of the season, in my view, Wolverhampton had the best-balanced team in the league.  Three riders (Pete Jarman, Jim Airey and Bob Andrews) ended the season with averages over 8.00; Tommy Sweetman and Cyril Francis averaged above 7.00, with British Finalist Gordon Guasco just a fraction under 7.00; reserve Brian Maxted at around 5.50 was keeping Jimmy Bond (4.50) out of the team.  The team had an impressive late-season run, with results including wins against Wimbledon (50-28), West Ham (52-26), Exeter away (48-30), Newport (64-14 - sorry, Bob), Glasgow (56-21) and Hackney 44-34 (the last two without Aussie-bound Airey. In between, there was a narrow defeat at Swindon (36-42) when the Robins had to resort to using Barry Briggs as a tactical substitute.

Thanks for reminding me BL65. As I recall it was October 8th (my birthday-don't bother to send me a card!!) when Wolves beat the Wasps  64-14. I was 19 in my first week at Nottingham U.- I got german measles and was in isolation. To add insult to injury it meant I couldn't go to any of the social functions like the Pre-Sess hop for freshers.  This meant I probably missed out on a good chance to meet a potential girlfriend. This is the story of my life........................

And then,  when I was at such a low ebb, I heard the dreadfu result!!!

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, chunky said:

I seem to recall reading about an individual whose "First ever race" was at New Cross on Wednesday, April 17, 1946. Perhaps iris123 noted the identity of that individual?

I think there were several people at that meeting including Speedyguy, Gustix, Mr Hyam and someone called Jack Keen who I believe came from Erith in Kent.

Edited by norbold

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I think there were several people at that meeting including Speedyguy, Gustix, Mr Hyam and someone called Jack Keen who I believe came from Erith in Kent.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

An expensive night out if all four of them had to pay to get in.  Thank goodness for press passes when Eric Linden turned up in later years, at Wimbledon in particular, accompanied by Angus Kix, Rick Eldon, Danny Carter, James Oldfield, Bob Charles and co.  Ronnie Greene clamped down on the number of free passes during the 1950s but Eric always sneaked his 'mates' in unseen.  Perhaps he had copied John H's earlier methods.

• Haha 2