Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

chunky

Members
  • Posts

    24,276
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    29

Everything posted by chunky

  1. I've just stumbled across a couple of Australians who sadly lost their lives on track. However, I am not familiar with their names, and was looking for more information. Don McKinnon was killed at the Brisbane Ekka in 1972. Terry Madden (from Brisbane) was killed at Lismore, NSW, in 1974. If anyone can add details - in particular, confirm that they were solos - I'd very very grateful. Thanks, Steve
  2. Must admit, I haven't seen too many like Finn Jensen! He was a great stylist, but never mastered the art of consistency. Steve
  3. Still think you'd be better posting a bunch of names instead of one every few weeks... Steve
  4. Patrick was a New Zealander (from Christchurch) who came over to Plough Lane in 1979 to join Larry Ross, and also made a couple of appearances for Exeter the following year, I believe. He was there alongside Dave Brewer (Tatum didn't appear until 1983). Born April 20, 1957, I suppose the highlight of Pat's career was scoring a couple of points in our huge win at Hackney (56-22, I think). Funny you should mention Graham Knowler; I was at Ipswich the night we fielded Alan Johns at No 1, and Graham at No 2. Obviously a very weakened team, were were holding the Witches until Roger Johns blew his engine while leading in his third ride - after two wins. Steve
  5. Lee wasn't doing it as a 14-year-old, though. There have been many kids with potential who never made it to top class, it's true, but two who deserve a mention are Dugard and Havelock. Steve
  6. Not according to this : http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=mriders&action=display&thread=1883 Steve
  7. This is news to me! Is this something that has only just happened? There I was, labouring under the misapprehension that Scotland has ALWAYS been smaller, with less facilities and less people... Never stopped McKinlay, Hunter, McMillan etc from becoming stars, did it? There is absolutely NO REASON for us not to see a Scot in Team GB, except that there don't seem to be any with the desire and determination at the moment. Sure, population and facilities help, but it didn't stop riders like Ole Olsen, Rune Holta, or Armando Castagna from making the grade, did it? Steve
  8. The more I look at the more I think it's Rayleigh. Go to http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Rayleigh.htm, and check out the 1960 team pic. The track lighting in particular looks identical, and the surroundings seem rural enough. Even the individual pics above this (Johnny Fitzpatrick and Alan Smith) showing the pits area looks the same. See what you think... Steve
  9. Sad thing is, I remember them all too... Anyway, I think I'd put Dandy Nichols in instead of Irene Handl... Steve
  10. I've been noticing the proliferation of comments regarding tonight's start tarts. Not sure if that is reflection on modern speedway (and a lack of excitement) or a reflection on the frustrated old saddos on this forum!!! Steve
  11. That has to be one of the best races I have ever seen. If only every race was like that... Good performance from the Russians. Steve
  12. There was another thread on here before, asking the same question, and speedyguy even suggested Aldershot, which was another I had considered. Steve
  13. Not sure, but I wonder if it is Rayleigh? There was a trial at an "Essex" track, and Rayleigh would seem the logical choice. Steve
  14. What about Bruce Hughes, then??? Steve
  15. I'm sure that Bob Hughes was Welsh, and thinking about, so was Ivor Hughes. As I said, Bob, I never knew that Howard Cole was Welsh, but he was born in Cardiff. Steve PS Just thought of another Welshman - Phil Vance.
  16. I can't disagree with either statement, but I do feel that Sanders had really come of age. I honestly never knew that Howard Cole was Welsh! In that case, he should slot in there with Leo McAulliffe. Of course, there have been other Welsh riders over the years (including Bob Hughes and Tom Brown), but without wishing to be disrespectful, there have been surprisingly few top-liners. Steve
  17. I would definitely put Phil between Cyril and Leo, Bob. Steve
  18. I always held Billy Sanders in the highest esteem (he was very popular at Plough Lane), but in 1983, I too felt that he really was one of the men to beat. He was always very good, obviously, but he seemed to develop into the complete rider. Steve
  19. Legend... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Morris_(speedway_rider) Steve
  20. As an individual who only became a naturalized New Zealander toward the end of his career (after a long and successful career as an Englishman), I find it difficult to include Bob on such a list. Steve
  21. With the greatest of respect, I would put many other Kiwis ahead of Bunyan, including Bruce Abernethy, Dave Gifford, Bryce Subritzky, David Bargh, and even Wayne Briggs. All great choices... Steve
  22. Can't argue with that, and would even say that other than Briggo and Mauger, we could stretch that to 40 years... Looking back at the list of Swedes, I think that Bengt Jansson and Torbjorn Harrysson should both be ahead of Henka, and perhaps some of the others. Steve
  23. Don't forget names like Peter Moore, Ron Johnson, Frank Arthur, and Lionel Van Praag... Steve
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy