British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Phil Crump

With son, Jason, having recently collected the GP crown, it seemed a good time to make his dad - Phil - our next 'main man' and our front cover subject for issue 5 - on sale around mid-November.

Before he returns to Oz to escape our winter, Phil has agreed to be exclusively interviewed at length for Backtrack, so please let's have your questions to put to him.

What are your memories of Crumpie from his days in the BL with Crewe, King's Lynn (briefly), Newport, Bristol and Swindon?

Any special moments, great races or possibly even something a little more obscure to recall about the tough, formidable Aussie star?

We usually prefer to avoid too much technical talk but as Phil was obviously at the forefront of the mid-70s four-valve revolution, we'll obviously be talking to him about his key role in the sudden emergence of the Street convertion - and how that led more or less immediately to Weslake's period of dominance.

But what would YOU really like to know about Crumpie and his time in the sport?

I'd be delighted to hear from you via this site...

Tony Mac

Asked my husband who can remember Phil racing for King's Lynn. His reply was can you ask Phil about his relationship with Howard Cole. He also remembers after he left Lynn and went to Newport, the match races (Golden Helmet?) against the Lynn number 1's (Terry Betts and Michael Lee) when he just blew them away using the "Neil Street Conversion".

It would be interesting to know why Phil was (I assume) happy to ride every week at Somerton Park, while many others hated the track.

Phil Crump was and remains one of the most genuine people one could ever wish to meet.I regard himas a friend and I hope that is reciprocated.

I took over an ailing and very badly disorganised Australian Team in 1984 my intro coming from my big mate Billy Sanders. I did not know Phil and was slightly apprehensive with dealing with such an experienced and class performer.

It must be said that every dealing, each meeting, every social event I have ever had with Phil remains a genuine pleasure.

It mattered not the distances we had to travel, the almost hopeless task we were faced with such a decimated team, he was always a total delightful guy to deal with.Never a moan,never a whinge, always that relaxed grin.

I am sure that Tony Mac will enjoy the interview and the article will be as interesting,amusing,striaghtforward,honest and deatailed as the recent superb interview with Anders.

I was obviouslyd delighted that Jason won the World title, but even more happy that Phil was involved and recieved some of the plaudits.

A lovely man,a truly great racer,hard as nails, but one of the very best.

SPIEGAL

Two that come to mind:

1) Newport coming to Swindon and Phil and Neil Street sompletely dominating on the 4 valves. Absolutely unbelievable. The match was then followed by hundreds of Newport fans marching round the greyhound track celebrating their victory.

2) Swindon v Cradley 1983. Cradley that year were possibly the best ever side and they came to Swindon and won 29-49. Crump scored a mximum though and was absolutely superb. On the Cradley lap of honour it was the Swindon fans that were on the greyhound track, chanting his name to a bemused looking Heathens side.

It would be interesting to know if he feels he could/should have achieved more in the World Championships as he generally under achieved.

Also, what was his opinion on the famous Carter/Penhall clash in 1982, seeing as he was the man with probably the best view in the stadium.

Another thing that would be interesting to hear about is the time he refused to join Reading and stating that he would stay in Australia unless he could join Swindon. What were his reasons for that?

Finally, does he feel like he has finally won the World Final now that Jason has done it!

He probably won't want to talk about it, but I remember the time when he broke his thigh at Sheffield 1977 in the Best Pairs meeting.

I'd be interested to know more about Crumpie's relationship with Billy Sanders. The two of them spent a few years vying it out to be Aussie no1 and I think they had a few coming-togethers.

I also cannot recall them ever getting together for the World Pairs, which was strange because they were clearly their country's best at that time.

My question would have to be, Does he think he would have been World champion if there wasnt so many world class riders around in his time (there were probably 15 top boys in those days if not more every club had two riders worth going to see, now there is only about 6!

I'd be interested to know more about Crumpie's relationship with Billy Sanders. The two of them spent a few years vying it out to be Aussie no1 and I think they had a few coming-togethers.

I also cannot recall them ever getting together for the World Pairs, which was strange because they were clearly their country's best at that time.

Yes, maybe it's a bit delicate, but did they ever really patch things up before Billy left us?

I'd be interested to know how he felt about the 1976 World Final and then winning the WTC at White City a couple of weeks later.

Phil and Billy were a World Pair in 1977 at Belle Vue, but finished bottom as Billy had engine trouble throughout - in one of my Ivan Mauger's Speedway Extravaganza books it says an engine blew up in the pits just as someone bent down to listen for any trouble :o

I certainly would be interested to hear more of the Crump/Sanders relationship and I'm sure Tony Mac is well capable of handling it sensitively. It just seems like rather an untapped area.

Was interested to see they rode together once at the World Pairs in 77, but never again. I would have thought a Crump/Sanders combo would have been in with a shout of winning the World Pairs in the late 70s/80s, but we never really got the chance to find out. :blink:

Will all the questions be about the past? If not it would be great to hear Phil's opinion of the GP's, are they good for the sport, do they put too much pressure on the riders, would he have liked to have competed in them and what does he think of the one-off tracks and the guy who who is in charge of them ..... hehehe

It would be interesting to hear some of Phil's thoughts concerning the County Ground @ Exeter. It is well known he was something of a master at the track - always went home with a hatful of points, no matter what the conditions, circumstances or what meeting it was. Thought it might be good to get an insight given so may riders loathing of the place & it's likely exit from the sport for good in the not too distant future.

Who did he rate as his main rivals when he rode and what was his favourite tracks.