British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BilaHora

time for the english grand prix...

You thinking of Calais?

Guest BilaHora

All

Taking into account the posts of Mr Norbold, let us all wear our poppies with pride this year.

Regards

BilaHora

There was also a part of the Hamburg Docks that was Czech territory.Something to do with shipping and customs laws.

Indeed so. In fact, there are quite a few historical examples of such things, e.g. the British quay in Shanghai, the French port of Pondicherry in India, and the Pakistani town of Gwadar that belonged to Oman. In fact, there was even part of England that belonged to Wales!

And throw in the free port of Gdansk/Danzig that belonged to no-one.

Rico :rolleyes:

I believe there is an general FIM rule that restricts each country to one GP per year in each motorcycle discipline. That's why the Gothenburg and Bydgoszcz GPs are officially the Scandinavian and European respectively.

In addition, with the exception of regional GPs, I think GPs must carry the title of their host federation - 'Great Britain' in the case of the ACU.

I therefore think an English GP wouldn't be allowed on both counts.

Sorry to drag this debate back a couple of days, but I haven't been online for a while.

I can't really see that this rule would genuinely pose a problem if they wanted a British and English GP. This year, Spain have hosted the Catalunyan, Spanish and Valencian Grand Prix in the Moto GP series!

And throw in the free port of Gdansk/Danzig that belonged to no-one.

Rico  :rolleyes:

Gdansk was quite heavily populated with Scots.There was even an area called Stary Szkoty-Old Scotland.Of course from these early Scots came the polish saying "skapy jak Szkot" -mean as a Scot :D So its not just the English.Also here in Germany something cheap is often advertised with a stereotypical red headed kilt wearing man with "schottenpreise".Had me wondering at first when i saw one outside a bakers,thought they had tattie scones or something :(

Guest BilaHora

All

Do not forget Gauntanamo which is in Cuba but belongs to the United States - politics anyone?

Mr Henry W

An additional Grand Prix in the United Kingdom could be called the "Atlantic Grand Prix".

Regards

BilaHora

Do not forget Gauntanamo which is in Cuba but belongs to the United States - politics anyone?

Without wishing to be pedantic, Guantanamo still does belong to Cuba. The USA only leases it, although Cuba always refuses to cash the rent cheque! :)

Stop the Madness!!

Is there a venue in England that could currently support crowds of 40K+ AND would be happy to have it's ground ripped up to lay a track? And most importantly could guarantee to host the British GP whatever the weather?

Edited by Kit

Stop the Madness!!

Is there a venue in England that could currently support crowds of 40K+ AND would be happy to have it's ground ripped up to lay a track? And most importantly could guarantee to host the British GP whatever the weather?

Much as I would like to see speedway return to the National Stadium (that's Hampden Park in the Second City of the Empire) for a Scottish GP, (OR WHATEFFER!!!) I have to agree with Kit - anything else would be:

1. a pale imitation of Cardiff'

2. no roof = risk of rain-off NOT EVEN WEMBLEY!!! my that big arch is goney keep the rain away NOT!

No if it aint broke don't fix it!

Edited by BTL