British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Who Would You Like To See An Article On?

I don't want to be morbid but Backtrack had some great articles on seriously injured riders, but what about an in memoriam section? I so want to know more about Gary Peterson who was my first fave rider as a Wolves fan, and reading the Bobby Mac piece with the Vic Harding/Steve Weatherley crash brought a tear to my eye - we really need a 'let us not forget section, so many great guys we lost in the 70s and 80s on track, we all need to remember the ultimate sacrifice given in our entertainment. It seemed that we lost 2-3 riders every year globally during the backtrack years - so, so sad, thank goodness for greater use of the air fence!!

RIP Gary - still loved, and never forgotten, thanks for the memories!!

I don't want to be morbid but Backtrack had some great articles on seriously injured riders, but what about an in memoriam section? I so want to know more about Gary Peterson who was my first fave rider as a Wolves fan, and reading the Bobby Mac piece with the Vic Harding/Steve Weatherley crash brought a tear to my eye - we really need a 'let us not forget section, so many great guys we lost in the 70s and 80s on track, we all need to remember the ultimate sacrifice given in our entertainment. It seemed that we lost 2-3 riders every year globally during the backtrack years - so, so sad, thank goodness for greater use of the air fence!!

RIP Gary - still loved, and never forgotten, thanks for the memories!!

A nice idea this. I think we should remember all Riders who have passed away in the service of the Sport we love. I can only re-iterate - thanks for the Memories.

John Harrhy

Would be interesting to read his views on speedway in the 70s, how his 1973 crash affected him given that some think he could have gone all the way to the top....as well as his recent attempt to buy Brandon when the Ochiltrees put it up for sale.

Just read the latest Backtrack magazine and have to say that it is very good again, particularly enjoyed the Rod Haynes column.

Just read the latest Backtrack magazine and have to say that it is very good again, particularly enjoyed the Rod Haynes column.

So did I - didn't know that he almost signed for Sunderland in our disasterous final Season. Perhaps if he had - it MAY not have been our final Season. DAMN !!

Dunno if it's been done, but Rob Hollingworth would make a good article.

Dunno if it's been done, but Rob Hollingworth would make a good article.

What about Jim Wells, John Knock, Brian Whaley, Robin Adlington, The Bass Brothers, Joe Hughes, Tim and Tony Swales, The Templeton Brothers, The Beatons and Alan Mackie.

Just a few more names to jog a few memories.

How about Chris Bevan(ex-Workington & Barrow), Wayne Jackson(Workington) and Mark Dickinson(Workington/Barrow) for future 'You are on 2 Minutes' interviews?? :wink:

Edited by Lake Bodom Comet

What about a Collins Brothers special?

Glad somebody reads my posts!!!

So did I - didn't know that he almost signed for Sunderland in our disasterous final Season. Perhaps if he had - it MAY not have been our final Season. DAMN !!

Hi Ian, only just seen your posting as I've been very busy recently. I'm not at all sure that the promotion up at Boldon park would have lasted any longer with my input as a rider even though it's nice of you to speculate, the side was fairly competant from the begining of that season as it contained a balanced cross section of team members. From what I heard from various sources at the time it appeared the new promoters vastly undercapitalised the business from day one, although their collective efforts weren't nearly enough to prevent lack of support from dropping dramatically causing the demise of the Stars. As I stated in the article it's such a pity teams like that always seem to go under because the track lent itself to good racing. If ever Sunderland were given a chance to emerge again for racing it would be interesting to see how a new promoter could drum up adequate support by actually diong some old fashioned PROMOTING ( remember that ) in the region.

Regards Rod Haynes.

Hi Ian, only just seen your posting as I've been very busy recently. I'm not at all sure that the promotion up at Boldon park would have lasted any longer with my input as a rider even though it's nice of you to speculate, the side was fairly competant from the begining of that season as it contained a balanced cross section of team members. From what I heard from various sources at the time it appeared the new promoters vastly undercapitalised the business from day one, although their collective efforts weren't nearly enough to prevent lack of support from dropping dramatically causing the demise of the Stars. As I stated in the article it's such a pity teams like that always seem to go under because the track lent itself to good racing. If ever Sunderland were given a chance to emerge again for racing it would be interesting to see how a new promoter could drum up adequate support by actually diong some old fashioned PROMOTING ( remember that ) in the region.

Regards Rod Haynes.

Hi Rod

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Please keep doing your pieces for Backtrack - I enjoy reading them very much. I do wish we could go back to the old days - upright two valves etc. Speedway was better then. There were accidents in those days but not as many as now. Tracks haven't changed that much from 1928 BUT the bikes are so much faster. Your articles bring back many memories. THANK YOU.

Zenon Plech

Andrew Silver

Andy Galvin

Barry Thomas

Karl Fiala

Paul Whittaker

Laurie Etheridge

Garry Tagg

Daily Mirror / Volkswagen Grand Prix

Durex Test Series :shock:

Golden Greats Meeting

Paul 'Jumpin' Johnson