British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whowasthatberntpersson

Peter Craven Book

There is a Peter Craven book listed at Amazons Online, however it is only available to pre order.

Does anyone know when this book is likely to be released?

I believe it's due out in the middle of August...or thereabouts.

September the 20th might be appropriate as it will be the 40th anniversary of his death

September the 20th might be appropriate as it will be the 40th anniversary of his death

That may well be why the publication date is mid-August. It allows for a little slippage and time to get it out to the shops for the anniversary.

Actually that was the date of the crash (Friday) I believe he died in hospital on the Monday or Tuesday, but it is probably fitting as his last race.

Scottish BBC TV are producing a 'piece' about the same time as the 40th annivsersary of PC's death. They are keen to contact any riders that were there on the night at Edinburgh he crashed.

Alas George Hunter is no longer with us but I still have the programme and can provide team names if required.

A sad footnote is that a junior rider I helped in the pits at the time had made arrangements to buy a bike from Peter Craven that night. I am sure he is still around but I have lost contact with him.

Also on reading Ian Hoskins book he says that Peter started from 20 yards back that night but that is not my recollection. I am sure they all went from the gate.

Great idea Dick (where did you get that name from?)

Any comments re the book from the late great PC's widow would be interesting.

Scottish BBC TV are producing a 'piece' about the same time as the 40th annivsersary of PC's death. They are keen to contact any riders that were there on the night at Edinburgh he crashed.

The programme goes out on BBC 1 Scotland on September 19th. at 6.30pm

The programme is available to all through Sky television.

(Thanks to Jim for the info)

I really enjoyed this book, it gave me an insight into one of the sports great riders, someone who i was too young to see ride.

Interesting to read about the beach (sand) races and cycle speedway connections.

Sports Pages in London (Charing Cross Road) has a wide range of Speedway books. I think I counted 11 titles (including the Craven book and some by a member of this forum - you know who who are Norbold :wink: ) when I was in there last week.

Five years ago that would have seemed like an impossible aspiration :D

Sports Pages  in London (Charing Cross Road) has a wide range of Speedway books. I think I counted 11 titles (including the Craven book and some by a member of this forum - you know who you are Norbold :wink: ) when I was in there last week.

Five years ago that would have seemed like an impossible aspiration :D

Although I am normally such a modest chap, I think I should explain how Tempus first got interested in publishing speedway books and hence the phenomenal rise in speedway literature over the last two or three years.

I have had a number of books on local history published. In 2000 I wrote one for Tempus, who are a well-known local history publisher. I took my manuscript to their office in Stroud. While I was there I noticed that they had published a number of sports books, mainly football (of course) but also a few cricket and rugby league books. I asked how sports fitted in to their local history publishing and their sports editor, James Howarth, told me it had started off as a bit of a sideline as they saw the history of small football clubs, e.g. Scunthorpe, Rochdale and the like, as a part of the social history of a town, but the sports section had expanded and they were now publishing sports books as sports books in their own right.

I asked him if they had ever thought of publishing a book about speedway and James said they hadn't because they didn't think it would sell. We discussed the possibility a bit further. I told him I thought there was a big enough following in areas like East Anglia where there were still four tracks operating to make it viable. He said he didn't think they would be able to publish a book on the history of one track but thought that maybe a regional book might just break even, though he doubted it.

He asked me if I knew anyone who could write a book on speedway in East Anglia. So I coughed and looked suitably modest and he gave me a contract, much against his better judgement.

They printed 1200 copies and it sold out in less than a month. James told me it was their fastest selling sports title and outsold their football and cricket books. After that he couldn't get enough of speedway books. He signed me up again to do my London book (which, you may remember, reached number three in the Sunday Times national sports book charts) and asked me if I knew anyone else who could write speedway books about different regions. I suggested Ian Moultray and Jim Henry for Scotland and Robert Bamford for the Thames Valley area.

And that folks is how it all started.

Edited by norbold