British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tanya

10th Anniversary Meeting - Newport

Riders confirmed in this weeks Speedway Star for this meeting are Bjorn Gustafsson :rolleyes: Anders Henriksson :):) and Emil Lindqvist :D:D

Scott Pegler is now confirmed and will be riding in the meeting. The 1997 wasps team will be starting the celebrations aswell. :):)

Edited by Dans Wasps 07

I'm looking forward to seeing Martin Willo Willis again, he was always good value.

Would love to see Ben Howe turn out too, he was like a shooting star for us: didn't last long but brilliant around QM whilst it lasted, foot up and full bore around both sets of bends, absolutely fantastic!! Track record holder for a while too.

Jon Armstrong as well. I remember his first(?) visit to QM, 15 points for Buxton at Conference level. It was really excellent to hear he was joining us later only to have his career blighted by back injuries, but he was great to watch too. Open it up and hang on.

Andrew and Chris also, products of the now defunt Mavs who did so well for us at that level in their title winning season and went on to be good Wasps as well..........

Should be a great day

Oh and how about a bit of nostalgia for us old 'uns......Neil, Phil and Jason going around the track together, surely the most succesful speedway family dynasty of all time, 2 Newport legends and one whose just a legend......I'm dreaming now.

If this meeting is marketed successfully then a really good crowd could turn up for this meeting.

Anders Henriksson should be a real draw card. Why not reunite our most successful team of 1999 that shouldn't be too difficult only really Frank that would be doubt.

I'd love to see Ben Howe turn out too for a lap or two on his own around Newport, he was a joy to watch blasting around the boards.

Has anyone been on to former Newport Wasp Vic White, Bert Harkins and their mates at the World Speedway Riders Association (formerly the veteran speedway riders)? There's still a fair few old riders who'd remember riding at Newport, or is it just for the last 10 years only?

I think that some of the favourites from Somerton Park days were mentioned in the Press release and will or have been asked.

Has anyone been on to former Newport Wasp Vic White, Bert Harkins and their mates at the World Speedway Riders Association (formerly the veteran speedway riders)? There's still a fair few old riders who'd remember riding at Newport, or is it just for the last 10 years only?

Is Tobjorn Harrysson and Sandor Levei still alive ?

Torbjorn Harrysson was at Newport a couple of seasons ago, and I remember him being manager for the Swedish Under 23's that came over in 1999.

Anyone else fear that crowdwise this meeting could turn into a bit of a damp squib.

A meeting solely based around a clubs past and present riders is never likely to attract much interest away from home, especially as most of the past team members do not ride competatively anymore. Therefore the majority of the crowdbase is likely to be home supporters.

Crowds in recent years have dropped dramatically and given the current situation are likely to drop further. We start the season with a light-weight open competition (I've seen better lineups at some training schools) and then launch into PT and league campaigns that are likely to result in a succession of home loses and away hammerings.

Added to that we now have the news that the one rider who would have put bums on seats this year is not returning.

What probably could have been an truely memorable celebration of 10 years of Newport Speedway is likely to be played out in front of empty terraces :sad:

Edited by judgejules

Desperately sad that the rider most people identify with Newport is not included to ride in the superb 1999 team which he was a major player in.

If Emil Lindqvist wasn't riding in this I'd think of boycotting it.

I, like quite a few others I suspect, will probably end up going to this meeting but, and it is a big but, if Craig ends up not being there, it will take the shine off the day and leave an empty hole in the proceedings. Let's hope common sense prevails and Craig, regardless of where he ends up riding this year, takes part in the meeting. After all, it's supposed to be a celebration. How can it be if the number 1 man is washing his hair??

I, like quite a few others I suspect, will probably end up going to this meeting but, and it is a big but, if Craig ends up not being there, it will take the shine off the day and leave an empty hole in the proceedings. Let's hope common sense prevails and Craig, regardless of where he ends up riding this year, takes part in the meeting. After all, it's supposed to be a celebration. How can it be if the number 1 man is washing his hair??

We will be there as well, those guys have given us a lot of enjoyment over the years and I for one will take great pleasure in applauding each of them for what they have given to Newport Speedway.

I don't expect overly competative racing, just a fun afternoon with plenty of laughs and riders and fans having a really good time.

I just think it would be really sad if it was all played out to a virtually empty stadium.

Edited by judgejules