British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Dave Jessup In Next Issue

.......remembering of course that Doug's Sheffield career pre-dates 1977 by quite a few years...............

Yes, I know it does, but I can't speak with authority on pre-1977 happenings as I didn't start going until then :)

Not that that stops some folk on this forum LOL

I can only remember Doug riding number 1, I definately don't remember him riding at number 3 or 5.

I do, and here's a couple of examples............

No. 3

http://www.sheffield-tigers.co.uk/exeter19061975.html

No. 5

http://www.sheffield-tigers.co.uk/whitecitybl05051976.html

Edited by WATigerman

I remember Doug being at 5 for the majority of 1974, paired with Arnold Haley.

Bob Valentine at 1 and Reg Wilson at 3.

Swindon v Sheffield. April 10th 1976. Doug Wyer rode at no 5. Swindon won 53-25. Doug scored 13 - more than half the Sheffield total.

Reg Wilson at 1. R/R for Arnold Haley at 3.

What else? Bob Kilby won the second half from Tommy Jansson (who was there for the Golden Helmet).

Like I say I can only go back to 77, and for four season up to 80 Doug rode number 1.

I remember Doug being at 5 for the majority of 1974, paired with Arnold Haley.

Bob Valentine at 1 and Reg Wilson at 3.

Now there's 4 decent riders to have in your top 5.....

:D

Edited by WATigerman

i thought this thread was supposed to be about DJ, all due respect to the Flyer.

i thought this thread was supposed to be about DJ, all due respect to the Flyer.

Yes, but given that the initial relevance of the thread has now gone (i.e. Backtrack complete with DJ feature now published) surely you can forgive us Sheffield fans a little self-indulgence?

Edited by WATigerman

yeah why not ! whatever happened to Bob Valentine one year a top rider the next a virtual novice , i believe he had some sort of hang gliding mishap but this was a very quick fall from stardom  ( no pun intended ) perhaps Backtrack could do a story

After he left Sheffield he went to Coventry under the old rider control system. If memory serves me correctly he broke both his ankles in a hang-gliding accident during the close season and then moved on to Birmingham where he was never the same rider. I think he finished his career at Cradley.

Edited by WATigerman

Bob Valentine finished his career at Cradley with a 1 year stint for the 1977 season, after which he retired.

From what I recall he was very popular at Dudley Wood and finished with a 6.50 average which was more than acceptable in a troubled year best remembered for the sackings of Anders Michanek and Bernie Persson.

thanks for that as Bob was my favourite rider at the time really p----d off when he was allocated to Coventry after Sheffield had brought him through as a novice just a shame on his later visits to Sheffield he was struggling at the back, anybody know where he is now ?

Go to the Cradley website and look under Bob's name under the riders link.

Nice appreciation of his time at Cradley followed by an update as to where he is now along with a pic from 1999.

Might be wrong but I'm nearly certain I saw a more recent pic of him in either Backtrack or possibly Speedway Star in the past few months.

thanks for that as Bob was my favourite rider at the time really p----d off when he was allocated to Coventry after Sheffield had brought him through as a novice just a shame on his later visits to Sheffield he was struggling at the back, anybody know where he is now ?

Bob did pay a visit to Sheffield last season, cannot remember what he said he was doing at the time.

I was channel hopping last night and stopped on Sky Sports 1 watching a celebrity golf affair in the Algarve, and DJ was one of the celebrities. Plays off 3 apparently, certainly looks a good golfer (not that I'd be anyone to judge with my shocking technique). His team was third going in to the last round and he was winning the celebrity section by some distance, hope he hasn't carried the bad luck onto the course else he might have lost his ball or broke a club or something on the last hole to lose by 1 shot :P

Why do most people think he was born in Kent?

Well, he wasn't born in Kent, KB..: but as you can see in this month's series of articles on DJ he moved to the county when he was just three years of age and so spent all the rest of his childhood, youth and school-days in Kent; and learnt the sport in the county and at Eastbourne. This more than qualifies him for being one of Kent's greatest ever motorcycling products.

BTW, what did you make of the Crayford article in the same issue..??!! ;);)