British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Great Entertainers

Loved Moggo to bits but its a BL list, come on!

Surprised that Mike Lee hasn't got a mention yet. Soren Sjosten is a great call also.

ron preston

eric broadbelt

john langfield

Guest Christophers Dad

Bob Kilby

The greatest gater i have ever seen :approve: and a nice bloke

Bob Kilby

The greatest gater i have ever seen :approve: and a nice bloke

Have to agree Bob was a great gater and by all accounts a fine fella as well, but I wouldn't have him down as an entertainer.

Guest Christophers Dad
Have to agree Bob was a great gater and by all accounts a fine fella as well, but I wouldn't have him down as an entertainer.

Then obviously you have not been with him and Malcolm Holloway at the bar :o

Bobs electric gating was the most entertaining thing i have ever seen,he was also good to watch on the odd occasion he missed the gate.

Bob Kilby was always entertaining when he broke the tapes. High spot of the night, that was.

Anyway - Shawn McConnell was/is the most entertaining rider EVER.

Sorry guys Electrifying gating whilst a great skill it does not equal entertainment in my book.

Agree that Shawn McConnell was something special. I remember watching him at Plough Lane about 1984 and he rode lines round there that nobody else ever tried.

Entertainers from the BL 1970 - 1990

Although he did much more after these dates, Sam Ermolenko estanlished himself as a great entertainer in the 80's which ended the decade with his big accident. A definate contender.

I see Shawn McConnell put down and he was good, but there were two Americans bought over to ride for Birmingham and the other was a showman. That was Keith Chrisco aka The Chrisco Kid who used to ride the wall of death up the wire fences.

The list of Americans is quite large from that era with Scott Autry possibly the least show off type American but Robert Pftezing was a great showman and at the Shawn Moran Testimonial he won the wheelie competition on a Honda 50cc moped fitted with a shopping basket.

John Cook was one of the most spectacular riders around along with both Kelly and Shawn Moran who were great riders who balanced on the edge of falling, but mainly made breath taking passes.

I agree with Roman Matousek who was one of a kind. Anyone who can go through a fence, ride a lap around the outside and then re enter the track using the whole he made and then wonder why he was excluded deserves to be in the list.

Kenny Carter was a big draw to the fans as an entertainer, an older version of Nicki Pedersen, you loved him or hated him, but you could never ignore him.

Although he was never a big favourite of mine on the track, the parties and image of Simon Wigg will long be remembered by manywith affection.

Other names that have to be in the list are some of the most entertaining riders around during that period like Hans Nielsen, sheer brilliance but also compelling to watch. Jan O Pedersen a great rider who could throw a bike into any gap. Andrew Silver who looked wild but made great passes around the boards or cutting back at the last second. Peter Collins was a true legend as much again for Chris Morton who possibly won 60% of his races but only gated in 10% of them.

Going further back, then Tom Leadbitter, Dave Jessup, John Louis, Billy Sanders, George Hunter, Chris Pusey and Bert Harkins were characters of the sport and had their moments of being entertainers.

I have seen Barry Thomas and Kelvin Mullarkey mentioned, both reknowned names, but did they feature in the British League or National League ?

If I had to pick one out of those mentioned, I would have to go for Hans Nielsen who to me was number one at everything he did.

Bob Kilby was always entertaining when he broke the tapes. High spot of the night, that was.

Anyway - Shawn McConnell was/is the most entertaining rider EVER.

always seem to remember that whenever he crashed he alwayys went over the handlebars no matter which way he was facing

OK, thanks to all for your input. The BL list is published and all will be revealed in the next issue (which will be mailed out this Thursday evening).

In the following issue we will be publishing a Great Entertainers National League fixture, so please see the new thread and your suggestions are, as always most welcome...

And is Peter Carr (Sheffield era) a possible contender?

definately! and don't forget neil collins too.

Being a Coventry fan...

1) Nigel Boocock.

2) Les Owen.

3) Gary Guglielmi

THATS JUST THREE....:)

But Booey for sure.

Entertainers from the BL 1970 - 1990

I have seen Barry Thomas and Kelvin Mullarkey mentioned, both reknowned names, but did they feature in the British League or National League ?

Thommo was at his most entertaining in the British League around 1977, but was still entertaining in his later NL days although he admitted in an interview that he found it harder to pass riders as his career reached it's final stages. So he could feature as a great entertainer in both leagues at the specified era. Spent over 10+ years in the BL. Who remembers his brilliant leg trailing rides at the 1978 Jubilee meeting?