British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Kenny Carter Book

Bob,

I can't believe some of this stuff...

Firstly, we at Retro Speedway have never, nor ever will, treat our customers "like peasants".

You're jumping to the wrong conclusion where John Berry is concerned. He had sight of the original manuscript simply because he helped me to proof read it, and also for advice on one or two points.

If anything has been left out from the original, then I can assure you that it has been for a very good reason - eg, it would have libelled somebody who would have sued the a*** of us, or was deemed inappropriate. Trust me, in a book of this highly contentious and sensitive nature, quite a bit of copy that starts out in the original does often get 'spiked' for the reasons given above. In fact, it happens in most books. You call it censorship, I call it law!

That does not mean to say that 'Tragedy' is lacking in any way shape or form. And if anyone who reads it doesn't find it harrowing, then they have no feelings. Obviously, I'm bound to defend your wild assumptions at this stage, but I will let the people who do buy the book judge whether it is up to standard and worthy of £15.99.

Bob, if you really are as steamed up and anxious to find out whether the book is as good as we say it is, then why don't you treat yourself to a copy? Or, give readers who have bought the book (many on the back of the extract they have read in Backtrack, as it happens) the chance to read it first and then give you the benefit of their opinion.

As for those who question the merit of writing the Kenny Carter story, the choice to buy it or not is simply yours. I knew when I went into this that there would be a minority who would question it, and not buy it for that reason, and so be it.

The feedback we've had so far has been nothing but positive, though. Even Peter Collins phoned to say it was "compulsive reading" - and that from a man who Kenny described as a w***** in the book's introduction!

Tony, I respectfully will defer to your view as the author. I am sure this is a wonderful book and I am sure I will buy a copy. BUT I would again stress that I have never read a book review where the reviewer said in essence " I am privileged to have access to some critical info that you don't-so there" which was the tone of Mr. Berry's comments-I will always wonder what this was-may be more of a criticism of the reviewer rather than the book- perhaps he didn't put himself into the shoes of the potential paying public. Let's leave it at that.

Guest Donsking

Perhaps the piece that should've been censored was John Berry's review, then this thing would never have started.

As it is, the question has been asked; what is it that has been uncovered could possibly lead to the publishers having their 'arse sued off'?

Given that any comments made by the subject of the book are rendered invalid by the fact that he is dead, why can't we be told the complete story?

Edited by Donsking

My copy of the Carter book arrived on saturday and i have finished it by Thursday. I could not put it down for long. Many happy memories were brought back, along with the tagic ending. There are some startling revelations in there too, so any body thinking of buying this book do so , i will be surprised if you are dissapointed. :)

Thanx Gary sounds great will do.

In addition to my last post i can now say after all these years of wondering that i can now understand what was going on in Kenny's head when he finaly lost it. This book clearly sets out the many problems that he had, some of which will come as a surprise to all who know anything about top speedway riders and the way they opperate. I also believe, like many other Halifax fans do that Ivan Mauger cost Kenny the 1981 world title, why ? I well remember seeing Kenny come out on Ivans bike which as he left the pits was misfiring badly. The Halifax fans were all shouting out for him to go back and change it. After doing a practice start he did so but was sent back out by Ivan, Why ? Did Ivan believe Kenny was too young to be world champion ? What if he had gone on to win ? Anybody else remember this incident ????? :):)

I pre-ordered this book form Amazon, but the delivery to them has been held up, only dispatched today! I await its arrival!

got my copy yesterday

already up to chapter 12 , page 106

and i dont do book's / reading as a rule

but this one as got me hooked

great stories & pictures so far

Guest sjl
I pre-ordered this book form Amazon, but the delivery to them has been held up, only dispatched today! I await its arrival!

Mine too very frustrating especially hearing other people's posts!!! Mine expected 9th July can't wait! :)

In addition to my last post i can now say after all these years of wondering that i can now understand what was going on in Kenny's head when he finaly lost it. This book clearly sets out the many problems that he had, some of which will come as a surprise to all who know anything about top speedway riders and the way they opperate. I also believe, like many other Halifax fans do that Ivan Mauger cost Kenny the 1981 world title, why ? I well remember seeing Kenny come out on Ivans bike which as he left the pits was misfiring badly. The Halifax fans were all shouting out for him to go back and change it. After doing a practice start he did so but was sent back out by Ivan, Why ? Did Ivan believe Kenny was too young to be world champion ? What if he had gone on to win ? Anybody else remember this incident ????? :)  :)

A complete and stupid suggestion. You obviously do not know the man and what's important to speedway riders. It was in Ivan's interest to be associated with the "new" world champion" and your saying that he put him out on a duff bike so his rider would lose a world championship. Utter nonsense.

Be interesting to hear Steve Hone's reaction to such a suggestion. :(

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

Be interesting to hear Steve Hone's reaction to such a suggestion

what can i say, Ivan was and is a winner, and anything he puts his name to he would want to succeed.

no point replying, people have their opinions.

Kenny and Ivan both heroes of mine so maybe i'd be biased, but i know Ivan wouldn't make a stupid decision like that.

Hi Steve and Tsunami, were you at Wembley for the 81 world final ? I was and so were several friends, we all saw what happened, can you think of a reason why Ivan told Kenny to go back out on that misfiring bike. We all said it would not last for four laps and look what happened. :)

Hi Steve and Tsunami, were you at Wembley for the 81 world final ?

yeah, and 82, and 83, and 84

can you think of a reason why Ivan told Kenny to go back out on that misfiring bike.

i'll ask him sometime

Edited by stevehone

nothing to argue about ... it was 26 years ago and i can't say i remember how the bike sounded.

i will certainly ask the question though.