British Speedway Forum
Trees

England V Australia At Under 23 Level!

Exciting news for the fans of these three clubs, wish one of these tests was at Lynn :(

Missed this news when it came out on the BSPA website and haven't read about the matches on here so thought I'd post, Wolverhampton on the 8th September, Swindon 11th September and Somerset 12th September!

You lucky people, sound like some pretty exciting matches!!!!!

The Wolves programme ran a column about this saying Tai Woffinden and Joe Haines should be in the England team and Ty Proctor in the Aussies team.

Most likely Chris Holder, Troy Batchelor, Daniel King, Lewis Bridger and Ed Kennett will also feature in what looks like some interesting meetings.

There should be more test matches like in the 70's and 80's as the England V Denmark clashes were great .... bit one sided at the moment, but we could always take on America with confidence now ;)

The Wolves programme ran a column about this saying Tai Woffinden and Joe Haines should be in the England team and Ty Proctor in the Aussies team.

Most likely Chris Holder, Troy Batchelor, Daniel King, Lewis Bridger and Ed Kennett will also feature in what looks like some interesting meetings.

There should be more test matches like in the 70's and 80's as the England V Denmark clashes were great .... bit one sided at the moment, but we could always take on America with confidence now ;)

Would love to see an international against Russia, that would be interesting.

I'd like to see a test match against Ivory Coast or someone like that.

We'd atleast see our boys win for a change.

Edited by screamer

For gord's sake don't turn this thread into a piss take, win or lose the matches give the young riders some much needed experience riding as a national team, as I said I wish one of the tests was at Lynn, it would be great!

Edited by Trees

For gord's sake don't turn this thread into a piss take, win or lose the matches give the young riders some much needed experience riding as a national team, as I said I wish one of the tests was at Lynn, it would be great!

This sound really good, I'm looking forward to the Swindon test already :approve:

Tai is captain for the three tests. Interesting choice IMO.

Tai is captain for the three tests. Interesting choice IMO.

Really? Interesting move, since he will probably be the youngest rider in the team!

But he is certainly mature beyond his years, and it shows the faith that the authorities have in him.

Both countries have some exciting young talent, should be a great series.

In the past, EL fans haven't supported meetings like this too well when the top riders aren't there. I think these meetings may get better crowds if held on PL tracks?

Just my opinion

P.S Apparently this really is ENGLAND v Australia, not Great Britain

Edited by TwoMinuteWarning

For gord's sake don't turn this thread into a piss take

That's how I feel each time you post on a GP thread :rolleyes:

Quite like to look of this.

Let's hope they get the Swindon boys in for their "home" meeting - that should get the crowds out.

To quote the Press Release sent out to Rebel Fans by the club Press Officer:

"The list of riders is not definitive and they are all being contacted about their availability as this Press Release goes out. We have Tai Woffinden as Captain again, as we did in the Under 21's, and the intention is to use Josh Auty, Joe Haines, Robert Mear and Jordan Frampton at 1 or 2 of the 3 meetings at reserve. Clearly, availability will dictate a certain amount of our plans and we will know more on this next week."

None of these lads will be under any illusion that the opposition won't be tough as the Aussie list of eligible Riders is topped by Chris Holder, and includes Troy Batchelor, Cameron Woodward, Cory Gathercole and Somerset’s Jason Doyle amongst the 15 other names, all of whom would be tough opposition.

Indeed it is England vs. Australia, and not Great Britain. Cant wait for the final (and possibly deciding Test ;)) Test at Somerset, as Woffinden, Barker, King, Holder, Batchelor and Doyley have all had some outstanding scores at some point at the OTA. Each test will be run under the usual 7 rider, 15 heat format too I believe.

Edited by Najjer

Why just England? Missing out on Lawson and Tully possibly?

Also would imagine young Josh Grajczonek will be in the Aussie line up as is certainly a great talent.

Wish i was able to see these, especially the Somerset leg.

U23 international matches - what a great idea. Really looking forwrad to it for a number of reasons

1. give some youngsters the experience in this type of competitive arena

2. do not have to worry about Elite league performers not being availabel to ride for thier country because of previous commitments

3. much prefer the 'old' test match to the current world cup - I know they are two different things but all the effort seems to be in the WTC

How about making U23 test series a proper part of the yearly calender? So next year lets have a three test series against Aus; three tests aginst Poland ( hoem and away)?

In 1969 we had Young England V Young Czechoslovakia - I remember the meeting at Rayleigh

Ian Turner injured first race.

Next year 1970 it was V's Young CZ and Young Sweden - John Louis made his International debut afeter 50 days

of riding or something like that.

Then 1971 was Young Sweden and Young Australasia. - enter Phil Crump

These meetings gave the likes of Louis Jessup Kennett Collins and many others their first experience of

International competition.