British Speedway Forum
IAN2

High Beech 2009

My Bro is bringing bikes up to the show by all accounts, not sure which ones he is bringing as has gathered quite a collection now and is in the process of re-building a 1950's JAP (I think that's what he said it was, am sure he will correct me if it's wrong) if it's finished in time he will take that as well no doubt.

He's really looking forward to it, I hope it's a great success if I'm off on that day I will hopefully come along if only to catch up with old friends.

I only went along to High Beech once, afraid it didn't hold my interest for more than half hour and I also found it difficult to find a safe place to leave my car.

You couldn't find a "safe place to leave your car"..??!! At High Beech..??!!! :shock:

What were you afraid of...: a bunch of car-jacking badgers...??!!! :wink:

If, for the various reasons given, the High Beech venue is not capable of holding the event in 2009 then how does is it become viable in 2010. Utter nonsense.

As previously described the annual commemerative meeting of fans at High Beech cannot be beaten. Its there because thats where it all started thats the whole point. The stallholders seem to operate under worse conditions at Cardiff so this is a red herring.

Personally I have never been a supporter of the Museum as after the way the funds were raised by the fans then those same fans were then expected to pay for entrance to a park that most had no interest in. I felt for Linda and George as to me their efforts were tarnished by what has become a venture for financial gain which surely was never the original intention

With you 100%.

By all means have a 'museum day' if you all so wish,but please drop the High Beach celebration.Its a total sham.

With you 100%.

By all means have a 'museum day' if you all so wish,but please drop the High Beach celebration.Its a total sham.

Having read the various posts about "The Celebration of Speedway" at Paradise Wildlife Park, I thought I had better get my tuppence-worth in.

I can understand people feeling sad about leaving High Beech, but for all the various reasons given earlier in the forum, we are trying to make this event as memorable and comfortable as possible for everyone.

I am sorry that a few fans have such a negative attitude to PWP and, as stated earlier, the Park makes no money from our Museum and were it not for the generousity of ex-rider and PWP owner, Peter Sampson, there is no way we could have funded or run a Speedway Museum.

Apart from buying the land to build the Museum, just think of the running costs, building costs, electricity, security (at the Park we are protected by lions & tigers so no-one will break in!) business rates, staff, even down to paint for the floors and walls, etc. all of which have been funded by the Park, so for anyone to say that moving from High Beech is a money-making exercise, then they are very much mistaken.

George & Linda did a fantastic job in fund-raising dedicating a part of their lives to the cause, but, George had said that once money was raised, he would like to take it a bit easier and take a step back.

The Museum Committee and the WSRA (World Speedway Riders' Association) appreciate everything that George & Linda have done and although others played their part, G&L were the "public face" of the museum fund raising.

Now that the Museum is well and truly up and running, 8th February will be a great chance for everyone to check it out and form their own opinions. Exhibits are forever changing, so if you have already visited the museum, then you are sure to see something new each time you drop by.

I was also disappointed that one correspondent said that he, and many others had no interest in the Wildlife Park, well, I think he should reserve judgement until he visits as it is a great day out for all the family and now there is a Speedway Museum to visit too, so look on the bright side. Your kind donations have been gratefully received and the VOLOUNTEERS who run the Museum and the Committee are doing their very best to promote the sport we all love and keep it's history alive..

Hackney, West Ham and Edinburgh fans will be pleased to hear that one of our favourite Swedes, Bengt Jansson, is flying over for the event and invitations have gone out to many other riders, including World Champion, Nicki Pedersen and former double World Champion, Freddie Williams.

So come along to the "Celebration of Speedway incorporating High beech at Paradise Wildlife Park on 8th February 10am till 3pm and enjoy a great day out FREE OF CHARGE!

Bert Harkins

WSRA President ,

Speedway Museum Committee

WSRA Committee

Ex-Rider and All Round Good Guy!! (I hope!)

Having read the various posts about "The Celebration of Speedway" at Paradise Wildlife Park, I thought I had better get my tuppence-worth in.

I can understand people feeling sad about leaving High Beech, but for all the various reasons given earlier in the forum, we are trying to make this event as memorable and comfortable as possible for everyone.

I am sorry that a few fans have such a negative attitude to PWP and, as stated earlier, the Park makes no money from our Museum and were it not for the generousity of ex-rider and PWP owner, Peter Sampson, there is no way we could have funded or run a Speedway Museum.

Apart from buying the land to build the Museum, just think of the running costs, building costs, electricity, security (at the Park we are protected by lions & tigers so no-one will break in!) business rates, staff, even down to paint for the floors and walls, etc. all of which have been funded by the Park, so for anyone to say that moving from High Beech is a money-making exercise, then they are very much mistaken.

George & Linda did a fantastic job in fund-raising dedicating a part of their lives to the cause, but, George had said that once money was raised, he would like to take it a bit easier and take a step back.

The Museum Committee and the WSRA (World Speedway Riders' Association) appreciate everything that George & Linda have done and although others played their part, G&L were the "public face" of the museum fund raising.

Now that the Museum is well and truly up and running, 8th February will be a great chance for everyone to check it out and form their own opinions. Exhibits are forever changing, so if you have already visited the museum, then you are sure to see something new each time you drop by.

I was also disappointed that one correspondent said that he, and many others had no interest in the Wildlife Park, well, I think he should reserve judgement until he visits as it is a great day out for all the family and now there is a Speedway Museum to visit too, so look on the bright side. Your kind donations have been gratefully received and the VOLOUNTEERS who run the Museum and the Committee are doing their very best to promote the sport we all love and keep it's history alive..

Hackney, West Ham and Edinburgh fans will be pleased to hear that one of our favourite Swedes, Bengt Jansson, is flying over for the event and invitations have gone out to many other riders, including World Champion, Nicki Pedersen and former double World Champion, Freddie Williams.

So come along to the "Celebration of Speedway incorporating High beech at Paradise Wildlife Park on 8th February 10am till 3pm and enjoy a great day out FREE OF CHARGE!

Bert Harkins

WSRA President ,

Speedway Museum Committee

WSRA Committee

Ex-Rider and All Round Good Guy!! (I hope!)

Bert I fully appreciate what you say but my income, the same as most people is limited. I do on average 60 meetings per year, often more, which is around £900.00 in entrance fees alone more than the cost of a seat for the season at my beloved West Ham Football Club. As such I have to be more prudent with regard to spending money at other times. As a Scot I am sure you appreciate this.

I haven't been to the Museum because I can't justify the cost to see something (The Wildlife Park) in which I have no interest. The point I have tried to make is that if the cost to enter the museum is prohibitive because it is viewed by the proprieter as part of the Wildlife Park then I'll not go. This doesn't show bad feeling against Mr Sampson but simply if i want to view the Museum it should be possible to do so as a stand alone. It should also be remembered that without the donations from people like me the Wildlife park wouldn't have an added attraction. This is me just trying to illustrate that there are two view points as in every argument.

The Committee has made their decision and I fully understand that however I still feel very sad that with the date coming up soon High Beech will remain silent as far as speedway bikes are concerned. I wish the Museum nothing but success and all power to the Committee for the time and hard work that is surely involved. But I still feel that High Beech deserves more otherwise it will dispaear from the Calender once and for all which will be very sad.

All The best

Harry Ward

Edited by westhamboy66

I appreciate your views Harry but as has been said if we didn't have the Speedway Museum in Paradise Wildlife Park we probably wouldn't have one at all.

I also appreciate your views about High Beech, though there is nothing to stop anyone else organising an event there. However, as the event and entry to the Museum will be free on 8 February perhaps you might consider coming along and giving it a go. :)

Edited by norbold

I appreciate your views Harry but as has been said if we didn't have the Speedway Museum in Paradise Wildlife Park we probably wouldn't have one at all.

I also appreciate your views about High Beech, though there is nothing to stop anyone else organising an event there. However, as the event and entry to the Museum will be free on 8 February perhaps you might consider coming along and giving it a go. :)

Norbold,

I see on this thread that it is continuly stated that entry to the park and museum is free next Sunday, however I see in the advert in this weeks Speedway Star that entry is free with the advert in the Star.

There are 5 of us heading down from Mildenhall, 4 adverts and 1 child, could you please confirm what it the correct situation, as we do not want to turn up with out 5 speedway star advert's and end up being asked for £75!

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

Entry will be free for the event. Just say you are going to it and you will all be let in free.

When we were shown the draft of the advert and leaflet at the last Committee meeting, Bert Harkins and I asked why it said "entry free with this advert/leaflet" and asked for it to be removed as we had agreed that entry would be free for all to the event and the museum.

The reason the Park gave for wanting it on there was so that they would have some idea at the gate who was coming for the celebration and who was just a normal visitor to the Park, who will, of course, still be charged entry. However, they agreed to tell the people on the gate that if anyone said they had come for the "Celebration of Speedway" they were to be let in free with or without the advert/leaflet.

I hope that helps.

Norman

Hi Phil

Entry will be free for the event. Just say you are going to it and you will all be let in free.

When we were shown the draft of the advert and leaflet at the last Committee meeting, Bert Harkins and I asked why it said "entry free with this advert/leaflet" and asked for it to be removed as we had agreed that entry would be free for all to the event and the museum.

The reason the Park gave for wanting it on there was so that they would have some idea at the gate who was coming for the celebration and who was just a normal visitor to the Park, who will, of course, still be charged entry. However, they agreed to tell the people on the gate that if anyone said they had come for the "Celebration of Speedway" they were to be let in free with or without the advert/leaflet.

I hope that helps.

Norman

Thanks for clearing that up Norman.

Looking forward to next sundays event :approve:

Phil

I know a few weeks have passed, but it was clear to see that the Speedway Museum was a good choice for this year's celebration of Speedway. A lot more room, even Hagon setting up a display tent.

I know a few weeks have passed, but it was clear to see that the Speedway Museum was a good choice for this year's celebration of Speedway. A lot more room, even Hagon setting up a display tent.

The traditionalists won't like it, but I have to agree with you Andrew.

Edited by Shadders

The traditionalists won't like it, but I have to agree with you Andrew.

Well I certainly could not, by any wildest estimation, be called a High Beech "traditionalist" as actually I only ever went to one of the events there...: ironically the 80th. anniversary in 2008: what looks like being the LAST time such an event will be held at the King's Oak... :shock::cry:

And I AM a big supporter of the Museum - having helped out in a modest small way with George & Linda's fund-raising and having the massive privilege of being invited by them to the Opening Day in ‘07...: when a starting gate was erected and Luke Bowen and Chris Neath broke the tapes on their bikes to open the place... :approve:

But I am puzzled nonetheless by the decision to 'move' the early Feb anniversary event to Paradise Park from the place (High Beech) it surely obviously should be at... Seems to me the 'solution' is to have a big event every year at the Museum...; but NOT to have this replace the hugely symbolic pilgrimage to that extraordinarily evocative place deep in Epping Forest at the point our sport here in the UK remembers its dramatic beginning... :neutral:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Well I certainly could not, by any wildest estimation, be called a High Beech "traditionalist" as actually I only ever went to one of the events there...: ironically the 80th. anniversary in 2008: what looks like being the LAST time such an event will be held at the King's Oak... :shock::cry:

And I AM a big supporter of the Museum - having helped out in a modest small way with George & Linda's fund-raising and having the massive privilege of being invited by them to the Opening Day in ‘07...: when a starting gate was erected and Luke Bowen and Chris Neath broke the tapes on their bikes to open the place... :approve:

But I am puzzled nonetheless by the decision to 'move' the early Feb anniversary event to Paradise Park from the place (High Beech) it surely obviously should be at... Seems to me the 'solution' is to have a big event every year at the Museum...; but NOT to have this replace the hugely symbolic pilgrimage to that extraordinarily evocative place deep in Epping Forest at the point our sport here in the UK remembers its dramatic beginning... :neutral:

I agree that, from a purely historical viewpoint, it would be a shame if High Beech ended up being forgotten, but what other date has any significance that could be lent to the museum?

Coming at it from the angle of nothing but a punter, it would be nice if I could enjoy the museum and the park for free and in warmer weather, but I think it's fair to say the owner has put more than enough into it for us not to expect him to give up a day's revenue in high season, just for speedway supporters.

I think now might be a good time to let go of the past and start thinking ahead; there's never going to be any more racing at High Beech, it isn't up to the task of hosting a major event, and the date is the best excuse possible for attracting (much needed) visitors to the museum.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by DK Rides Again

Well, of course, the original idea was to alternate between the two venues, so that High Beech would not be forgotten. However, there has been so much positive feedback about the event at PPW and how much better the facilities are compared to High Beech that this might have to be reconsidered.

As I have said before, the Speedway Museum does not have a monopoly on organising speedway events and maybe someone else could organise a get together at High Beech on or near the anniversary. It wouldn't have to be a big event but just something to honour the memory.

Over to you, Derek! (We could put up a set of traffic lights on red and you could give a demonstration of driving during the day... :P )

Over to you, Derek! (We could put up a set of traffic lights on red and you could give a demonstration of driving during the day... :P )

'Salright...: I made it to and from High Beech in one piece once...: no need to risk it again...!!!! :wink: