spin king

What Happen To

Can anybody tell me whatever happened to the following;

Shawn Moran

Doug Wyer

Bernie Persson

Eric Broadbelt

Roman Matousek

All ex Sheffield riders who I was just wondered what had happened to them. :lol::lol::lol:

Roman's whereabouts has been on here before.

It said he joined the police on his retirement, got into problems with drink, ended up in the nick, however, I believe he is now working on a farm in the Czech Republic.

Not the best of tales, but hope it helps

Doug Wyer's career finished following a dreadful accident at Middlesborough (I think) in a qualifying round of the fours. He was in a crash with Rob Grant of Berwick Bandits (the father not the son!) and after a lengthy spell in hospital he retired as a result of his injuries. He rode with Les Collins in the Edinburgh Monarchs team at the time and along with Les was a tremendous inspiration. In fact he and Les won the Pairs Championship at Hackney (I think).

Eric Broadbelt suffered a horrendous crash at Edinburgh's Powderhall stadium which effectively ended his career. I saw the accident and I honestly thought he was dead when he landed on the track (along with most of the rest of the crowd). He came out of the second bend rather wide and down the back straight his footrest got caught up in the wire link fence. The bike made a dead stop and Eric was thrown from his machine with enormous force into the air. He hit the lamp standard full on with his back and slid to the ground unconscious. I've never seen a stadium go as quiet as it did that night.

Eventually, after a long spell in hospital, he made a recovery and rode for a bit at a lower level but he was never the same. This can be such a cruel sport.

Sorry if this is a bit depressing but there it is.

Guest wes lake

Eric Broadbelt runs a shop in Burnley selling household goods. Still loves his speedway. He was a rider who showed no fear and took some horrendous crashes remember at Long Eaton tried to go round Middlo and took a big one, the boy could crash!!!!!!!!!

i think Eric should be under the thread "He was a tough un". That man ate dynamite for breakfast.. ;)

Yes, I remember Doug, well both him and Reg Wilson carried Sheffield for sometime in the Mid Seventies. There was Doug in his white leathers with the flowing tassles on the arms of his leathers, he was a joy to watch.

Eric like everybody says was as strong as an ox, I once saw lift his whole of bike of a trailer as if it was nothing,and believe when he did crash the doctors did say that it was only his fitness that saved him.

Memories Memories :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not one of the riders mentioned but Chris Morton currently sells ISA's/Insurance in and around the Chester area.

Chris Morton selling insurance, god whats the world coming to, I remember at my home club Sheffield blasting around the boards,absolutely hopless out of the gate but an extremely great passer. You did him complain about the track, been unfair to home riders, mind you not many opposing riders did. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I remember Eric Broadbelt having an accident where he collided either with a track raker or a grading tractor(?) I still recall the picture of him on the track with a badly cut face. I guess that must have been around 1974/75 time.

Phil Collins, what rider, of all the collins clan for me Phil was the most spectaular, he was an absolute joy to watch, he obviously settle in the States.

I like a lot of people thought he would be the best of the clan, but some how he never for one reason or another fullfilled his true potential.

WHAT A RACER

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think Phil was the most naturally gifted of the brothers Collins,i think he was to nice a guy,had he been mentally tougher then he would have been world Champ.

Could not agree more, Phil Collins was fine racer and on his day could beat anyone. :P:P:P

I think Phil was the most naturally gifted of the brothers Collins,i think he was to nice a guy,had he been mentally tougher then he would have been world Champ.

:blink: Sorry guys I just can't let you get away with it. Phil Collins was smashing rider, but he was still some way short of being as gifted as Peter. Indeed many could quite legitimately argue PC was the most talented rider in the world ever, never mind just within a family.

Surely I am not alone in thinking this? :shock: