British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie4388

Newport Vs Scunthorpe/sheffield 29/10/11 6pm

The Newport Hornets last meeting tomorrow as they take on the National League Champions, A Patched up Scunthorpe/Sheffield side head to Wales for the fixture.

Teams from what i gather are.

Newport

R/R For Kurtz

James White-Williams

Brendan Johnson

Matt Bates

Jay Herne

Daniel Greenwood

AN OTHER (Rider chosen from Practice session to be held earlier in the day)

Scunthorpe/Sheffield

R/R

Sam Woods

Stefan Nielsen

Oliver Greenwood

Adam Wrathall

Conor Dwyer

Martin Wrathall

Edited by Superstar1

The Newport Hornets last meeting tomorrow as they take on the National League Champions, A Patched up Scunthorpe/Sheffield side head to Wales for the fixture.

Teams from what i gather are.

Newport

R/R For Kurtz

James White-Williams

Brendan Johnson

Matt Bates

Jay Herne

Daniel Greenwood

AN OTHER (Rider chosen from Practice session to be held earlier in the day)

Scunthorpe/Sheffield

Ashley Birks

Sam Woods

Stefan Nielsen

Oliver Greenwood

Adam Wrathall

Conor Dwyer

Martin Wrathall

According to Scunthorpe website it is Rider Replacement for number 1 not Ash. Meeting looks more like a youngsters challenge match and bit of a damp squib to end on.

Indeed. Just a meeting that has to be run hope all 12 riders come through safe. If Jay Herne dont max this meeting he should be ashamed lol.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

According to Scunthorpe website it is Rider Replacement for number 1 not Ash. Meeting looks more like a youngsters challenge match and bit of a damp squib to end on.

Sorry cant agree with you there. I wont be going but I wouldnt like to discourage anybody who lives closer and would make the trip.Hopefully a couple of 3 pointers may come from this meeting

Your comments are all that is wrong with the league, I'm affraid. Everybody has to start somewhere fortunatly Worrall's and Birks learned their trade on MX tracks so you weren't put through the pain of watching them learn.

Well done to both promotions they could have cancelled it but prefer to use the meeting wisely, due weather. Best of luck to Conor Dwyer come on lad give it all you got

The Conference league grew over the last 16 years into the National league.it has become a real speedway league,not a practice session.Now people want to reverse it back,i for one and i know of others will not spend money to watch if it is watered down,like the Elite league as been i do not go to that any more.The only league worth watching will be the Premier.speedway is a spectator sport and for that reason must be worth watching and paying to see.But i am sorry in these times when money is tight people want value for it and wont spend to watch a substandard product.I know youngsters have to be given a chance so lets start by limiting the number of foreign riders allowed per team in all leagues,slowly at first say no foreign riders at res in the Elite league,a maximum of four per team in the Premier league,and only as now british passport holders in the National league.That then would see movement up from all leagues and create places for young riders to fill at National level .Another way is for all clubs to bring back second halfs for novices to ride in that will give more rides for new comers to the sport they do it at Sheffield already,but dont please try to runn down the National league standard now or it will be a disaster.I think Scunfield should appologise to Newport and there fans for what they have done today sending that team to race.

The Conference league grew over the last 16 years into the National league.it has become a real speedway league,not a practice session.Now people want to reverse it back,i for one and i know of others will not spend money to watch if it is watered down,like the Elite league as been i do not go to that any more.The only league worth watching will be the Premier.speedway is a spectator sport and for that reason must be worth watching and paying to see.But i am sorry in these times when money is tight people want value for it and wont spend to watch a substandard product.I know youngsters have to be given a chance so lets start by limiting the number of foreign riders allowed per team in all leagues,slowly at first say no foreign riders at res in the Elite league,a maximum of four per team in the Premier league,and only as now british passport holders in the National league.That then would see movement up from all leagues and create places for young riders to fill at National level .Another way is for all clubs to bring back second halfs for novices to ride in that will give more rides for new comers to the sport they do it at Sheffield already,but dont please try to runn down the National league standard now or it will be a disaster.I think Scunfield should appologise to Newport and there fans for what they have done today sending that team to race.

This argument has gone round and round and round. Every rider has to have their first race in the higher league be it in the NL PL EL (I think you will agree some PL riders look like novices in EL racing). The 'Old' generation Scunfield have walked away with the Trophy this season. At Newport this afternoon you could be seeing the 'New' Generation Scunfield, if they run. There is a lot happening second half wise as Connor Dwyer who rides this afternoon will possibly attribute a lot of his progress this season. Give the lads a chance.

Surely it's better to 'blood' young riders in a meeting of no consequence...

Everybody has to have their first meeting. At least some teams give youngsters a chance - rather than use 'has-beens' and 'never-was' riders who have never been good enough for the PL.

Wouldn't it be better to be able to say 'I saw that EL rider in his first ever ride' - rather than 'that nipper would have made a good rider - but nobody ever gave him a chance'...

They have little choice in the matter as this match has already been postponed at least once, possibly twice, when I expect they would have put out a much stronger team.

As it happens, both Worralls are en route to Australia, and I know Birks was hoping to go too.

They already have Irving out for the season, and Compton is probably too busy cutting hair.

The NL rules are not too kind when it comes to replacements allowing only a guest for your number 1 rider. The rest of the sides has to be filled with 3.00 guests.

I said give the young lads a chance, but if no one moves up a league there are no spaces to be filled. If say twenty Premier riders moved up that would mean getting rid of the doubling up rule to replace foreign riders in the elite thats two new res more could then move up from national to replace them.Then there would be twenty spaces to be filled in the national league.That would be heaven but it aint going to happen.

.I think Scunfield should appologise to Newport and there fans for what they have done today sending that team to race.

And what would you have done ?? The twins are on a plane to Aussie today!!!!!

Also maybe Newport should appologise to there fans and Scunny for scrubbing this fixture over a month ago when they couldnt get medical cover,yet run a training session,with medical cover i presume!!!

Good luck to the kids today,you never know,this could be the seeds of the next title winning team from Scunny

And you moan about scunny sending this team,it was less than two years ago that folked moaned when Scunny turned up with "wobblers" and that it was a discrace,a title and 4 x prem league riders later............................

In all honesty I think both promotions will just want to get this final fixture out of the way.

I don't think either side are taking it too serious really, Scunny haven't bothered splashing out on a guest for their #1 and Newport are not fielding their number one, despite him riding lastnight for the Wasps.

Should be a huge Newport win I would imagine and like someone said, if Herne doesn't get a max I would be stunned.

Surely it's better to 'blood' young riders in a meeting of no consequence...

Everybody has to have their first meeting. At least some teams give youngsters a chance - rather than use 'has-beens' and 'never-was' riders who have never been good enough for the PL.

Wouldn't it be better to be able to say 'I saw that EL rider in his first ever ride' - rather than 'that nipper would have made a good rider - but nobody ever gave him a chance'...

I do take issue with your 2nd paragraph a tad (but thats is for another day)

For the most cracking post Scribbler and I hope the lads riding this afternoon take onboard your thoughts rather than some of the others on here. It would be interesting to see if the, shall we say, less positive people have actually seen the 'wobblers' rideor are they just guessing they cant ride because they have never heard of them.

It will be nice to see how Sam Woods goes another lad who has had so little opportunity in this country has had to go to Denmark for the season.

Edited by Great Central

I do take issue with your 2nd paragraph a tad (but thats is for another day)

For the most cracking post Scribbler and I hope the lads riding this afternoon take onboard your thoughts rather than some of the others on here. It would be interesting to see if the, shall we say, less positive people have actually seen the 'wobblers' rideor are they just guessing they cant ride because they have never heard of them.

It will be nice to see how Sam Woods goes another lad who has had so little opportunity in this country has had to go to Denmark for the season.

The bit you bolded...

I didn't like writing it... but sadly it is true.