British Speedway Forum
MrDaniel95

How Do You Start?

Hi, Im 16 and a big fan of speedway I go to watch Wolverhampton and Dudley regularly and its my dream to become a pro rider for a team. Can someone help me on how to start and youth teams, I have never ridden before and need to learn, can I get a bike and learn my self or Will I need to go to a speedway school, can anyone help me. And if you know of any local schools. Thanks

hello i would suggest you go to a training school first to see if you like, there is a few about my first skid school , scunthorpe, lydd, sittingbourne and prob many more ive not mentioned (sorry if i have missed you out) then take it from there , if you like it then i would recomend you getting your own gear as you can get used to your own bike, im from wolverhampton too there is a great little training track about 40 mins from us up at burton http://burtonmotox.com/news.php but as you get better and quicker i would suggest going to a track , scunthorpe is about 2hours from us they always have things on all through year , but i would go and try before you buy , it does look easy watching the pro's do it!!!! all the best in what you choice and maybe see ya on a track soon!!

http://www.myfirstskid.com/

Edited by chris naylor

You can learn from scratch with your own bike but please don't spend too much money on it - you might not like it! If you have a bike then there are amateur clubs such as www.southerntrackriders.co.uk or dragons and others. My advise would be go to a school first and hire a bike to see how you get on. You can also attend amateur meetings as they're usually free to enter and talk to people there.

Gary O'Hare now theres a blast from the past :t:

Edited by starshooter

Hi, as written above really, my advice is to attend a speedway school, there are many around, I think mine is the best of course, www.myfirstskid.com, but to be fair to all, there are other tracks which also provide great support where you can hire bikes from; such as Ride N slide, Scunthorpe, Stoke, Sittingbourne, Newcastle, Lydd, absolutely everyone is very keen to help and I have strong personal interest in supporting our youth... infact My First Skill are holding a 16 and under's day at Leicester in July, July 8th, but check the website. Chris is also right, once you have done a few schools you will want your equipment, buy wisely, and you want it to last and dont skimp on safety equipment try to buy new if you can (check hedgehog boots and gloves). So now that I have been completely neutral time for a bit of self promotion :) My First Skid has an amazing take up to the sport from those who attend our school.. currently its 10 percent.. so about 25 riders who attended our school, have gone on to buy all their own equipment and still come to our schools (£40 with own kit) where our only objective is to help riders improve safely and properly. Only 15 percent come to one school, once you have the bug you are hooked. If you want to reach me you can email me via here and I will bounce you my private details...always available to talk and discuss your options, as I am sure most of the posters on here are.

• Like 1

Hi MrDaniel, thanks for your enquiry. Our next two outings in the 'Midlands' are on Wednesday July 11th at Leicester and then four weeks later on Wednesday 8th August we are at Coventry.

Hope this is of some help.

All the best, Russ

What about a slightly overweight (a bit bigger than Screeny)52year old who rides a road bike ? Is it worth me having a go ? Just to see if it's as hard as some riders make it look .lol

What about a slightly overweight (a bit bigger than Screeny)52year old who rides a road bike ? Is it worth me having a go ? Just to see if it's as hard as some riders make it look .lol

You will be very welcome at Wayne Carter's Training/Experience day on the Scunthorpe training track - http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=49922 Just give me a call if you want on 07832-402167

I am almost the same but a bit younger go for it you won't regret it

Edited by phillwhitewasmad