British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

Great having Joe back. Now suprise us with 6 good sighning's.

Great first signing. Doubt anyone is unhappy with that and I can see why all parties are happy to get it sorted early. Hopefully we'll be as happy with the other 6!

• Like 1

Simon Stead will be tony moles 1st signing to lead workington for 2013..........watch this space

Tony Mole Workington Promoter?

• Like 1

http://www.thestar.c...eason-1-5053321

SHEFFIELD could be looking at a dramatic change of race night as they look to bounce back from a difficult season.

Club co-promoter David Hoggart has admitted the Premier League in general is struggling after a tough season at the turnstiles coupled with spiralling costs.

Tigers have been no different and Hoggart says the priority now has to be winning back the fans who stayed away after a combination of poor performances and the dreadful weather.

He said: “We may even look at the Thursday race night because we realise it may no longer be the best night for everyone.

“We want to encourage youngsters to come and support the Tigers every week and we have a meeting with our landlords very soon to discuss many aspects of the business.

“There are also a lot of Premier League riders who double up with Elite League clubs and Thursday night is busy in the Elite League. We are looking at keeping costs under control and that includes rider wages, so if we can look at avoiding clashes with Elite League dates it may help us in our talks.

“This is only something we are looking at and we may take it a stage further but it’s very early stages for us right now.

“We also noticed when Redcar opened on a Thursday we lost a hefty number of supporters from north of the M62, so a change of race night may just allow fans to go to both tracks.

“We’re open minded on everything.

“The Premier League has a major issue to deal with right now because it’s been a bad year financially for most clubs and now is the time to be proactive to try and change things, turn things around."

I'm grateful to Machin and Hoggy for the time and effort they put in to run Sheffield, but I honestly feel there losing the plot this year. I'd see it as they'd loose more fans if they changed the regular race night from Thursday. Surely they isn't much choice in this because of greyhound nights.

They want to bring in more young fans but put the price up for kids this season.

I feel all promoters need to get away from trying to get the old fans back and concentrate on getting fresh new fans through the turnstiles. Then when the atmosphere changes the old fans will return.

I'm grateful to Machin and Hoggy for the time and effort they put in to run Sheffield, but I honestly feel there losing the plot this year. I'd see it as they'd loose more fans if they changed the regular race night from Thursday. Surely they isn't much choice in this because of greyhound nights.

They want to bring in more young fans but put the price up for kids this season.

I feel all promoters need to get away from trying to get the old fans back and concentrate on getting fresh new fans through the turnstiles. Then when the atmosphere changes the old fans will return.

Or could they be thinking of striking up a deal with the stadium owners to switch race nights with the greyhounds on Tuesday.

No other Premier League track runs on a Tuesday so no fixture classes, and no Elite club rides on a Tuesday.

Also running on a Thursday clashes with Swindon, so running on a Tuesday would free up a Sheffield born rider to sign for the club and double up with Swindon.

Simon Stead appears to be the fans popular choice to lead the club next.

But then again new Workington Promoter Tony Mole is about to bring Simon back to Workington.

If Sheffield are wanting to encourage more youngsters, I would have thought either Friday or Saturday as no school the following day, but then that clashes with most of the Premier League race nights. I can't see Tuesday encouraging more people to attend either. Personally, I'd keep it on a Thursday.

• Like 1

To get more kids in it would have to be Friday night, which has happened in the past, or sunday afternoon / tea time, if not stick to thursday

If the promotion are saying we've lost fans to Redcar then I can't see why they'd try and run on the same night as Scunny.. personally I hope we stick to Thursdays!

• Like 1

If they have lost fans to Redcar changing race nights would not automatically bring them back. They may not have enough time money or deisre to go to both

• Like 1

Thinking about it if we switched to Friday they would have to run the dogs thursday afternoon and night, cant see that happening.

so it must be Sunday or just another load of waffle

This is not good......not good at all......