British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fast Freddie Challenge

Fast Freddie Challenge - Sunday 10th March, 5pm @ Monmore Green

can we go a bit more overboard about Darcy? he won a meeting he should win against guys who have seen better days.

if he wants to be a gp challenger he should win meetings like this.

fair play to him stepping in at last minute for 'sicknote' Nicki

congrats to freddie a true servent to british speedway and wolves fully deserving of a testimonial

shant be saying the same thing when Kasprzak has his!!

• Like 1

Well done darcy for taking the late booking and beating the "PAST IT" line up. Overall the weather played a huge part in the racing as a spectacle and was unbearable at times but freddie got a huge turnout and im glad we came down and showed our support. If only every track had a Porky in the centre green the guys made me laugh with his antics each time ive been to monmore green and he deserves a pat on the back for staying positive during the meeting and showing energy. l spoke to Darcy after the meeting and seemed really happy with the win his attitude to racing and desire to win cant be faulted.

As a speedway fan of thirty odd years I've always entered a stadium when the weather isn't good but the meeting is still on 'at my own risk' ie if the racing is poor or it gets called off before the end then its my own fault as I'd seen the forecast but still chose to pay to get in and chance it just in case I miss a good meeting. Not sure why the track wasn't made slick to cope with rain/snow but I can't believe anyone entered the stadium expecting to see a classic.

• Like 3

As a speedway fan of thirty odd years I've always entered a stadium when the weather isn't good but the meeting is still on 'at my own risk' ie if the racing is poor or it gets called off before the end then its my own fault as I'd seen the forecast but still chose to pay to get in and chance it just in case I miss a good meeting. Not sure why the track wasn't made slick to cope with rain/snow but I can't believe anyone entered the stadium expecting to see a classic.

Didn't expect to see a classic, but also didn't expect riders to just leave the track when they felt like it....

Well said.

It is as expected, some loving to have a good moan at any chance to knock the sport they are supposed to love.

Just what did ANYONE expect from a meeting in the 2nd week of March right in the heart of a cold snap of weather???

Were the New year classics at Newport ever a thrill a minute?? (i recall meeting reviews as processional till the latter stages).

Have all the Ben Fund meetings been passes a plenty??

You go to these sort of meetings (ben fund, testimonials) in early March to support the cause or the rider, NOT for a thrill fest!!

Just what do people expect in freezing conditions?????

OK, IMHO they should have bladed the track after 4 heats. It looked clear nothing was going to improve. When weather is cold like that a quick procession of heats is what you want. That is the only fault i can make of the meeting. Once they bladed it after heat 8 the track was raceable at least.

I agree on comments made regards rider coasting and not doing 4 laps, going back to the pits after 3 laps.

A GREAT line up that was spoiled by the weather.

I suppose the cold snap of weather and freezing conditions is Freddie`s or Speedways fault ?????

I was delighted the meeting was on as i expected it to be weathered off, so getting to see a bit of action was a huge bonus. Yes it cost me money for that too happen. I'm delighted to have paid to see a star of the EL getting a just reward.

I am not surprised at all that some feel a need to moan about the meeting.

Well I travelled from Preston and yep it was freezing and track conditions/weather played a huge part in what was always going to be a Testemonial but I arrived home at just gone midnight having run out of fuel at Wigan and had to walk down the hard-shoulder at minus 3 but still having enjoyed me day out , perhaps Im easily pleased :)

Chris

And thanks to the guys who posted updates on here prior to the meeting

I always love monmore green i been down to england over 60 times and never met a twit once, real good people but the speedway family always get on and the friendliest folk around. Dont you just love the english

Well said.

It is as expected, some loving to have a good moan at any chance to knock the sport they are supposed to love.

Just what did ANYONE expect from a meeting in the 2nd week of March right in the heart of a cold snap of weather???

Were the New year classics at Newport ever a thrill a minute?? (i recall meeting reviews as processional till the latter stages).

Have all the Ben Fund meetings been passes a plenty??

You go to these sort of meetings (ben fund, testimonials) in early March to support the cause or the rider, NOT for a thrill fest!!

Just what do people expect in freezing conditions?????

OK, IMHO they should have bladed the track after 4 heats. It looked clear nothing was going to improve. When weather is cold like that a quick procession of heats is what you want. That is the only fault i can make of the meeting. Once they bladed it after heat 8 the track was raceable at least.

I agree on comments made regards rider coasting and not doing 4 laps, going back to the pits after 3 laps.

A GREAT line up that was spoiled by the weather.

I suppose the cold snap of weather and freezing conditions is Freddie`s or Speedways fault ?????

I was delighted the meeting was on as i expected it to be weathered off, so getting to see a bit of action was a huge bonus. Yes it cost me money for that too happen. I'm delighted to have paid to see a star of the EL getting a just reward.

I am not surprised at all that some feel a need to moan about the meeting.

Have you read the reports on the Tomas Topinka testimonial,it is possible to have a testimonial in March on a good track with competitive racing,entertainment aplenty and all riders trying.Yes we all accept the sentiment involved but for £17 we still expect something resembling a competitive speedway meeting particularly with the worlds best on show Edited by New Science

Have you read the reports on the Tomas Topinka testimonial,it is possible to have a testimonial in March on a good track with competitive racing,entertainment aplenty and all riders trying.Yes we all accept the sentiment involved but for £17 we still expect something resembling a competitive speedway meeting particularly with the worlds best on show

The key is, it needs good track conditions to race on with weather conditions in its favour.

I have read MANY March testimonials and been to a couple of Ben Fund meetings with excellent line ups. The racing has been tepid at best.

I have no doubt that if the temperature hadn't plummeted over the weekend and we hadn't had ground frost the track would have held up to some good racing.

I think you will find it a rarity that anyone raves about a March testimonial meeting as being a stand out meeting for the level of excitement and action we can expect once the season starts.

We had something like a competitive speedway meeting after heat 8.

The one thing that got me about Darcy in this meeting was that he seemed to be riding to just enjoy it and that was good enough to win the title. .... Freddie gated in front of him, Darcy sits back and on the second lap he is popping wheelies down the back straight with this foot on the rear mudguard.

When he needed to win, he just pulled the throttle open a bit more and won easily.

There were cash prizes for the fastest race times each four races. Nicolai Klindt, Rory Schlein, Darcy Ward and Freddie twice were the winners.

Edited by T.N.T.

To be fair we were very fortunate with the weather in Lynn last Friday, it was mild and the forecast rain arrived 6 hours late. The track was however prepared for every eventuality, difficult to understand why Wolves didn't do the same.

To be fair we were very fortunate with the weather in Lynn last Friday, it was mild and the forecast rain arrived 6 hours late. The track was however prepared for every eventuality, difficult to understand why Wolves didn't do the same.

Blimey,if you thought it was mild at Kings Lynn,i'd hate to somewhere where you thought it was cold. :o

:D Should have been a bit clearer, I meant that taking all things into consideration ie the time of year, how cold it can be and has been at the NA, and the change in the weather since Friday, it was reasonably mild. Well I thought so anyway :D been several coats colder than that this week!

One could ask why hold it in March anyway? There must be plenty of spare dates later in the year????

Re Darcy, lets not forget he was also on 'borrowed' bikes!!!

I'd imagine for the same reason as Tom did, ie people like AJ and Pedersen want pre GP practice and once they've jollied orf to New Zealand you're probably not going to get them back in the UK again until next pre season, or get GP riders who ride over here to turn out for an indi.