British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

What affect will this SACKING have on the rest of the team? How is Steve going to raise morale? Will they all be looking over their shoulder now? Sadly the first two meetings were against teams having much stronger riders and though David did not score well it is a new track and HOME ADVANTAGE does not yet exist, I am sure that with less able riders visiting shortly, the ability of David to inspire the youngsters would have shone through and his own average would have been met. His knowledge of the away tracks would have been invaluable to the youngsters. The sport is a lot about confidence and if that is lacking in a rider then he needs to be helped not kicked in the teeth.

There are three main issues being played here as far as I can see, there is a certain blurring between the lines of each in some areas perhaps but nevertheless you have; 1) Personal 2)Speedway 3)Business.

The latter two reasons are more prevalent when trying to be successful than the former. David Mason is a nice bloke and has clearly put a lot into being prepared for the season, I feel for him and I'm sure that the fans do too but you can't expect people to turn up each week just to see a nice bloke unfortunately.

The paying public want to see a winning team and if they don't they'll soon lose interest which cannot happen from a business point of view. The three pointers at the bottom end are a necessity when accommodating a rider like Steve Boxall. In Boxall the Kings have the National League's best rider, something to be proud of and every time Steve has been on track at Central Park, the atmosphere has been tangible. He comes with a high average but it is good for business as he brings the punters in. Morley is doing his thing and once he settles in at Central Park he will be a very good foil for Boxall, the fans have taken to him already too, why? He has been winning races. Any three pointers in this league are going to be raw, there may be better out there than the Kings trio but there also may be worse options. Kingston and Kirby look very tentative but both have scope to improve and they have shown that on track, that improvement will come with rides, that is something you can afford three point riders though. Woods does seem to be struggling but it's early doors. Coles is a talent, having watched him at Rye last season I can confidently say the lad is a racer. He seems to have added gating to his arsenal over the winter but his machinery is holding him back. Connor Coles on a competitive bike is one of the National League's finest young prospects.

That left Mason, he is the rider likely to drop the most points from his average on the track and was always going to be vulnerable if the axe was to fall on any King during the season. It has struck early admittedly but from a Speedway and Business point of view the Kings have done what they had to. On a personal note it is a shame. I'm not taking sides as I can see both, these things need to be looked at from a measured perspective.

• Like 2

buxton and kent are very similar as they both are 3 man teams with basically 4 reserves, unless 1 or2 of the lower riders become an overnight sensation then both these teams are going to struggle as most of the other teams are better balanced

i dont think compton for mason will help i think they should have droped boxhall for compton and brought in another 7 pointer in place of 1 of the bottom 4

Difficult to let your top man go Builderbob and the three pointers are learning the craft... The team needed to settle in perhaps!!! Too late now the deed is done.

Not for the first time averages have possibly ended a rider's career because he had to make way for another big scorer. It leaves riders of lesser score power still in place and possibly careerwise never going to equal what David `Mason has achieved.

What has happened here is one of the reasons why speedway is increasingly not being taken seriously by the mainstream media.

I yearn for the old days when there were speedway CLUBS not speedway teams. Riders continuing with the same club season on season - new riders fighting for their place through novice heats and second-half races. No guests, no rider-replacment.

I know that this set-up will never return but under it riders won their places in sides through graduation and went the reverse way if and when their ability started to wane.

The "sacking" of David Mason is going to baffle new supporters of Kent Kings as they see a reasonable scorer depart yet lesser scorers and possibly in some cases (?) lesser talent still in the side. The practice will disenchant some newcomers to speedway as they realise that speedway teams are not all they seem - more so when they see the star of a visiting side possibly turn up a few weeks later as a guest for a visiting team, then revert to his original side if they make a return visit to Central Park.

David Mason - as other riders have been - is a victim of the system and not failed on his riding ability.

Well said.Would not of said anything different.I follow Stoke and this is not a dig at Kent but speedway in general. All we want is to see the best lads in the country race against each other and not a system that "weeds" out the good to allow the lads of; shall I say, lesser ability at present get a ride. Very much disenchanted with our great sport.

I hope dave get sorted with a new club he would be great some where like Buxton where he can help the youngsters. :)

• Like 1

I think Len has finally flipped !!!!!

Why sack one of your top three after two matches? One that scores points, turns up each time on good equipment, helps out other members of the team, is a fan friendly and always ready to assist with promoting the club and speedway.

Over the years Rye has had a list of riders that should have been cast aside during the season but Len said the fans were wrong and he would do things his way coz he knows best.

Well this time he sure has done it his way and its totally out of character for him .......... lets wait and see if he is right and the results start to change and the wins come in thick and fast. (I have my doubts somehow) :unsure:

There are three main issues being played here as far as I can see, there is a certain blurring between the lines of each in some areas perhaps but nevertheless you have; 1) Personal 2)Speedway 3)Business.

The latter two reasons are more prevalent when trying to be successful than the former. David Mason is a nice bloke and has clearly put a lot into being prepared for the season, I feel for him and I'm sure that the fans do too but you can't expect people to turn up each week just to see a nice bloke unfortunately.

The paying public want to see a winning team and if they don't they'll soon lose interest which cannot happen from a business point of view. The three pointers at the bottom end are a necessity when accommodating a rider like Steve Boxall. In Boxall the Kings have the National League's best rider, something to be proud of and every time Steve has been on track at Central Park, the atmosphere has been tangible. He comes with a high average but it is good for business as he brings the punters in. Morley is doing his thing and once he settles in at Central Park he will be a very good foil for Boxall, the fans have taken to him already too, why? He has been winning races. Any three pointers in this league are going to be raw, there may be better out there than the Kings trio but there also may be worse options. Kingston and Kirby look very tentative but both have scope to improve and they have shown that on track, that improvement will come with rides, that is something you can afford three point riders though. Woods does seem to be struggling but it's early doors. Coles is a talent, having watched him at Rye last season I can confidently say the lad is a racer. He seems to have added gating to his arsenal over the winter but his machinery is holding him back. Connor Coles on a competitive bike is one of the National League's finest young prospects.

That left Mason, he is the rider likely to drop the most points from his average on the track and was always going to be vulnerable if the axe was to fall on any King during the season. It has struck early admittedly but from a Speedway and Business point of view the Kings have done what they had to. On a personal note it is a shame. I'm not taking sides as I can see both, these things need to be looked at from a measured perspective.

So its simple in terms of business eh, get a grip. What you are intimating is that if Benji does not perform in 7 rides he also will be out of work?

Realism is that the management bottled it. Every new fan who went will be dumbfounded at the decision, but eh Di Matteo was booted out for failing. Ahhhhhh but the owner is a billionaire and not adverse to throwing his toys out and getting his own way.

Good luck Benji, hope you do well and David, with contacts like the ones who sold you out you know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

Let's be honest newcomers won't know how the sport works so why would they be dumbfounded?For all they know this happens all the time....i doubt after two meetings that many newcomers have suddenly got emotionally attached to any of the riders.Doesn't sound good,might have been an action taken too quick,but i guess they thought something had to be done.Some seem to be over-reacting in how newbies will see this though

And if they are dumbfounded now then it will keep them in good stead for the future.I remember when i first started going on my own and taking notice of riders....there was a guy called Jim Tebby who wasn't in the team but we were told would be trying to get in by riding second halves....whoops a week or two later he was riding for Newport!Were we dumbfounded? Few years later we were told our number 1 would be Christer Lofqvist.He was even in the programme as our number one for a few weeks,but never turned up!Not sure how dumbfounded we all were at the time.....

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

So its simple in terms of business eh, get a grip. What you are intimating is that if Benji does not perform in 7 rides he also will be out of work?

Realism is that the management bottled it. Every new fan who went will be dumbfounded at the decision, but eh Di Matteo was booted out for failing. Ahhhhhh but the owner is a billionaire and not adverse to throwing his toys out and getting his own way.

Good luck Benji, hope you do well and David, with contacts like the ones who sold you out you know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

How have they "bottled it" may I ask? Surely if they hadn't got the backbone to lose a rider who won't score to his average then that is "bottling it."

I'd say a rider being dropped and replaced by another is one of the more straight forward things in the Speedway World to understand. Kent Speedway need to build a reputation for winning at home at least and the promotion have taken steps to achieve this. As I said before you can't hold on to someone because they are a nice guy. I'm a nice guy but I'm sure no-one would pay to watch me ride a Speedway bike.

I hope David gets fixed up, I honestly do as I grew up watching him dominate the Conference League at Rye House. He is a victim of his average perhaps but that's the way the sport has been for a very long time.

I hope David gets fixed up, I honestly do as I grew up watching him dominate the Conference League at Rye House. He is a victim of his average perhaps but that's the way the sport has been for a very long time.

...and it's stupid rules like this and many others that over the years have and are continuing to do so ruined the sport.

...and it's stupid rules like this and many others that over the years have and are continuing to do so ruined the sport.

There is always going to be team strength controls and there has been rider control for a long time, even before the averages came into play. A few seasons back when the grading system was used in the NL David was a Grade 11 and if that system was still in place he still would be and wouldn't have got a look in as Steve Boxall would have been too.

The National League is always going to be unique because are standalone sides and second sides, when he was at Rye House David was a great rider to help bring the youngsters through with his experience. The Kent side is a standalone one however regardless of Len Silver and John Sampford's involvement and they have to build a winning side which would rely on David scoring his average on track too.

For all the rights and wrongs of this move,let me just say ....................................... Welcome Benji and lets hope you pile up the points for the Kings. :D:t:

• Like 1

For all the rights and wrongs of this move,let me just say ....................................... Welcome Benji and lets hope you pile up the points for the Kings. :D:t:

And in happier times....

http://kentkings.co/david_mason.html

I know he lives a long distance away but, Liam Carr would be far better than any of the 3 pointers you have

Liam Carr would be a good signing wish he was at Stoke. The logistics would be a big problem though 840 ml round trip, 7hrs plus each way.