British Speedway Forum
stoneylegend

Top Teams So Far?

With the majority of the teams just about in place (Plymouth aside) whats everyones thoughts on how the Premier League is shaping up for 2013, who’s your stand out teams riders etc?

Personally as they look now my top teams are:

Newcastle- Although they are still waiting of their final signing they are looking a strong unit throughout, stranger things have happened but I cannot see them being pushed around their home track too many times this season. Definitely ones to watch

Somerset- With Aussies Doyley, Moris and Grajczonek all riders who can impress at most tracks again another team to watch. It’ll be interesting to see how Nielsen performs as a few teams were talking of him at the end of this season, but his partner at reserve Tom Perry is sure to bag some points at reserve imo.

Workington- I’m expecting a playoff position with Lawson improving every year along with Rene we should have a top 2 as good as most. I believe Roynon moving to Leicester was a spanner in the works but Aarnio on the right equipment and Rusty with his head in the game will fill out middle order nicely. Howarths going to shock I few this coming season to I think, Campton and Morris have plenty of potential and overall so I’m happy with our team.

I only really wanted to choose 4 teams and it was a pick of Scunthorpe and Leicester until I had a good look at

Berwick- who I must say are another team like Somerset without any real weak links, hopefully they only show them when visiting Derwent Park ;-) Robin Aspegren is a rider who will makes big strides this year.

Ive no doubt upset a few people by not including their team in my top 4 but next year is set to be another beauty with lots of teams in contention, rolll on March! :D

Edited by stoneylegend

With the majority of the teams just about in place (Plymouth aside) whats everyones thoughts on how the Premier League is haping up for 2013, who’s your stand out teams riders etc?

Personally as they look now my top teams are:

Newcastle- Although they are still waiting of their final signing they are looking a strong unit throughout, stranger things have happened but I cannot see them being pushed around their home track too many times this season. Definitely ones to watch

Somerset- With Aussies Doyley, Moris and Grajczonek all riders who can impress at most tracks again another team to watch. It’ll be interesting to see how Nielsen performs as a few teams were talking of him at the end of this season, but his partner at reserve Joe Jacobs is sure to bag some points at reserve imo.

Workington- I’m expecting a playoff position with Lawson improving every year along with Rene we should have a top 2 as good as most. I believe Roynon moving to Leicester was a spanner in the works but Aarnio on the right equipment and Rusty with his head in the game will fill out middle order nicely. Howarths going to shock I few this coming season to I think, Campton and Morris have plenty of potential and overall so I’m happy with our team.

I only really wanted to choose 4 teams and it was a pick of Scunthorpe and Leicester until I had a good look at

Berwick- who I must say are another team like Somerset without any real weak links, hopefully they only show them when visiting Derwent Park ;-) Robin Aspegren is a rider who will makes big strides this year.

Ive no doubt upset a few people by not including their team in my top 4 but next year is set to be another beauty with lots of teams in contention, rolll on March! :D

It`s Tom Perry at Somerset-Joe Jacob`s is Glasgow.

It`s Tom Perry at Somerset-Joe Jacob`s is Glasgow.

Well spotted :oops: looking at that many names i was sure to come unstuck;-)

Edited by stoneylegend

Last few years there has been a genuine standout side, don’t know if there is this year, each team has their strengths and weaknesses in equal measure IMO.

Newcastle do look decent, but Nedermark and Lemon (despite a below par season last year) are a massive miss, as well as that the twins are both coming back from pretty serious injury.You could make the same sort of + and – minus points for a lot of sides across the league.

Decent shout but I agree there is not particularly one standout side so far.

Somerset perhaps look the strongest to me, but Ipswich are another that could be strong, particularly now they have a genuine number 1. Edinburgh are shapping up well depending on the last two signings and Workington, Newcastle, Leicester, Redcar, and Berwick all look solid.

I really like the look of Scunthorpe's top 5 and if they can get points at reserve they could be a real threat.

I'm not sure about Rye House, they are perhaps a rider short but the only teams that don't look to strong to me are Glasgow & Sheffield (assuming Sheffield's final 7 is the rumoured side). Glasgow though could yet be decent if they get the last two signings right.

At the moment though I would go for a top 4 of Somerset, Scunthorpe, Ipswich & Newcastle, but I don't say that with a lot of confidence.

Edited by NJC71

For me has to be Somerset that stands out as potentially the team to beat.

But things can change and a team that is unfancied can make a change in the team.

But for me I think everyone will be chasing Somerset if they stay injury free.

Scunny andSomerset but all very even.

Should be a cracking competition in 2013

• Like 1

Rye House. Lykke is going to shock a few, and Mellgren will make huge strides. Should Lambert and/or Lykke move up into the team then you've got Garrity, Bunyan and Nelson to replace them at reserve. 2 strong reserves all season, with a big hitter at number 1.

Rye House. Lykke is going to shock a few, and Mellgren will make huge strides. Should Lambert and/or Lykke move up into the team then you've got Garrity, Bunyan and Nelson to replace them at reserve. 2 strong reserves all season, with a big hitter at number 1.

Allen and Steady will bring 2 big hitters to the PL, personally cant wait to see them against our lads.

Ipswich are the team to beat Somerset and Scunthorpe dark horses lets not forget with the riders still not fixed up yet Plymouth could put a good team together

Last years top 7 looking strong again. Will go for Somerset Ipswich Leicester Newcastle top 4.

newcastle,somerset scunny and workington look very strong.cant see sheffield been up there,too many question marks to start the season with.the gambles could go either way.hopefully they will be successful.need to win all home meetings but cant see that happening.time will tell.

• Like 1

Edinburgh (Even though two to be announced)

Newcastle

Somerset

Leicester (Just ahead of Berwick)

.... for me.