British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StormMarketing

League Sponsorship - How Much?

You do realise that sentence makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :blink:

Why do you think they want their brand exposed to a large number of people if not to increase sales?

Fits in nice with the rest of his ramblings then

John welcome and thank you for joining the oldace club.

Shouldnt really have to explain that one... if every sponsor got direct sales out of sponsorship then every company in the country would be doing it and splashing millions, sponsorship is a risk for any company, they buy into the EXPOSURE the sponsorship generates, everyone who dips a toe into sponsorship know full well it does not guarantee a flurry of direct sales from it.

Clearly this subject is lost on some people who cannot participate in this discussion so decide to jump on me lol I am not biting and getting into an argument with either of you because I am better than you both.

Oldace you agreed with the knows post... who first reply was "its a good question" so what is it? a good question that you are unable to contribute to, or a poor question because you know all the answers in life? just curious

Allow me to run off a quick example lol

Wrigley Airwaves became title sponsor of GSE Racing in British Superbikes a few seasons ago... "Team Airwaves Ducati" etc. this was a "Sponsorship" were the total brand exposure was X amount of million via Eurosport/ITV X amount of press coverage X amount of spectator coverage.... this was the EXPOSURE generated from this sponsorship... "The Risk"

What Airwaves did extremely well was by following this risk up with direct promotions/advertising which was more based on capturing the "EXPOSURE" and pushing forward a more direct message to get future sales i.e. not only did they sponsor the team, advertising in Bike-Related Magazines, Competitions, Promo Girls handing out FREE product at race meetings and so on....

John welcome and thank you for joining the oldace club.

Shouldnt really have to explain that one... if every sponsor got direct sales out of sponsorship then every company in the country would be doing it and splashing millions, sponsorship is a risk for any company, they buy into the EXPOSURE the sponsorship generates, everyone who dips a toe into sponsorship know full well it does not guarantee a flurry of direct sales from it.

Clearly this subject is lost on some people who cannot participate in this discussion so decide to jump on me lol I am not biting and getting into an argument with either of you because I am better than you both.

Oldace you agreed with the knows post... who first reply was "its a good question" so what is it? a good question that you are unable to contribute to, or a poor question because you know all the answers in life? just curious

You are a legend, is marketing some sort of school project your'e working on?

• Like 1

Shouldnt really have to explain that one...

You should try explaining it to yourself. Or at least re-read my posting.

Where did I say that every sponsorship was highly successful in increasing sales? No...I didn't.

I pointed out that the aim of raising a brand's profile by way of sponsorship was to increase sales. This was in response to your previous comment claiming that sposorship wasn't aimed at increasing sales... which, as i pointed out, made no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

I suppose that the amount that a sponsorship deal is worth will be a factor of the value that the sponsor gets out of their investment, and that is a factor of the size of the potential market that they are exposed to, and the likelyhood of a positive response from the market to the sponsor.

A marketeer researchin into and engaging with "the market" is a very normal thing to do, to get a feel for "the market" that a potential sponsor will be exposed to. Sadly, judging by the responses above, doing this in a BSF forum does not seem the best place to get a good impression of the kind of people that a sponsor will be hoping to sell to as a result of their investment in the sport.

You'd forgive a company for backing away from sponsoring British Speedway, not because of the way in which the sport is run, but because of the flavour of the people that follow it.

I feel sorry for you, StormMarketing, you made a valient attempt at opening up a valid discussion, but I think you're asking the wrong people.

• Like 2

Reading the above comments, I would have thought that if speedway could be associated with a young vibrant brand, such as a mobile phone company or an alcopop company, whatever and the exposure was free to the company, but speedway became part of their normal advertising somehow, that would certainly be great for speedway and would give some additional exposure to the brand, especially if both domestically and internationally. I would think that would be more valuable to speedway than receiving cash. Maybe some deals are set up this way.

• Like 1

Reading the above comments, I would have thought that if speedway could be associated with a young vibrant brand, such as a mobile phone company or an alcopop company, whatever and the exposure was free to the company, but speedway became part of their normal advertising somehow, that would certainly be great for speedway and would give some additional exposure to the brand, especially if both domestically and internationally. I would think that would be more valuable to speedway than receiving cash. Maybe some deals are set up this way.

Not really no. Any organisation looking to advertise and create brand awareness via sport sponsorship would look to a sport who's followers most closely matched the demography of the people the product was aimed at. Equally they don't want their brand perception to be tarnished by association. The SGP might be perceived as cool (although its churn rate of sponsors is quite high) but Elite League speedway would not likely be so.

we had big sponsors in the past - Coal Products I think being one but i can not remember a major sponsor since then. We simply are not an attractive demograph. I should think we are thought of as male, old and poor. whether thats true or not and there are not enough of us. Want to waste money selling to us? Don't think so!

this is very similar to when teams were "sponsored" by local radio stations - they simply plugged the speedway and teams bore the station name, e.g Stoke Signal Potters, Halifax Pennine Dukes, etc

It could work

Edited by ch958

I like your last post oldace, now you're talking... and Mr Leslie, I cant be bothered to go back and re-read, but sponsors look at the Exposure first, and direct sales are secondary as I have said all sponsorships are risks... you could reach 10 million people and get 2 million new customers, or you could get none. So in that respect sponsors look at the exposure first more in "hope" of direct sales - and this is where Oldaces last post comes in.... if the product/brand is a good fit.... then the chances are the direct sales the company would get would be higher and less of a risk...

For example sheilas wheels who target women would get very little return but as Oldace has suggested someone a bit closer to the sport or the demographic would, with the domestic "ageing" scene Tena For Men, Life Insurance, Nivea For Men, a Tyre company i.e. Pirelli etc. etc. there are quite a few people who would be best suited to speedway domestically but "is it seen as big enough and more importantly cost effective compared to other sports"..... thats a whole new debate

But yes, I agree with your last post oldace an alcopops brand would not gain the right kind of exposure in the Elite league, but perhaps the poster was suggesting if a young vibrant company got involved, and proactively promoted their involvment in the sport, it could potentially attract a new younger audiences?? I would say its too much of a risk for a company to do that....

Not really no. Any organisation looking to advertise and create brand awareness via sport sponsorship would look to a sport who's followers most closely matched the demography of the people the product was aimed at. Equally they don't want their brand perception to be tarnished by association. The SGP might be perceived as cool (although its churn rate of sponsors is quite high) but Elite League speedway would not likely be so.

But....don't you think it is us, the speedway fans, who have a 'flat cap' perception of speedway. I think the majority of the non-speedway fans, would say, 'is it still going?' or 'first one out wins'. I don't think the general public would say, 'it's a sport for old boys'. At the end of the day, it is 4 guys, mainly young guys, tearing around a track in colourful clothing, on colourful bikes, surely, with the right advertising and the right portrayal, that has value for a brand that is selling to young people. Speed, colour, glamour is a young persons thing. But I do think, it would be difficult to expect a cash injection, but advertising exposure, maybe possible.

Edited by Ray Stadia

This is becoming a bit of a 'MONSTER' debate!!!

Sponsorship of anything should not be considered on its own. As has been rightly pointed out, sponsorship should only be part of 'The Marketing Mix' which includes advertising, promotions, PR etc etc.

I'm not sure what Meridian Lifts hoped to get out of their many sponsorships over the years, but imo they are not an obvious 'fit' with the sport?!

Many years ago I was involved in some media (local newspaper) sponsorship of an Elite team, which at the time was selected to increase the brand awarenessand readership of the paper in that particular area - hopefully leading to increased sales. However apart from the direct cost of the sponsorship, there were also freebies, giveaways, stickers, Free team poster with every copy etc etc. (I think the Argus do similar stuff with Eastbourne, even though they are not the main sponsor).

However, a possible drawback of having a media sponsor (Sky Sports??!), apart from the increase in coverage within that media, is that it can risk isolating the product from all other media!??

We all bemoan the lack of media coverage/interest for speedway - and usually blame the product or lack of marketing of it!! But it could just as likely be a reaction to 'Sky Sports Speedway' that reduces interest elsewhere?!

I think the sport should be looking at companies with a good fit, where their product or service is used within or can be linked to the sport! How about for example, Mercedes Vans, Oil or Pressure Washers or............??

Value? Worth? God knows.

Edited by Skidder1

I would happily to a comparison to what a client pays to sponsor another form of motorsport in the UK and what coverage they get, then see what their exposure is vs what speeday provide.

Sky sponsored to sport to increase its subscription, there are still may households who have no sky... if they splash £1million divide that by £30 per smonth subscription usually tv/internet etc. thats £360 per year.... 2777.78 subscribers.... have sky managed this through Speedway... I think so yes, are 2777.78 subscribers going to cancel their sky if they ditch Speedway? It will be a percentage but not many... as Sky would have opened up more programs to keep people interesting.... only the die hards who dont like other sports sky offer will cancel... so Sky has done well.

I would happily to a comparison to what a client pays to sponsor another form of motorsport in the UK and what coverage they get, then see what their exposure is vs what speeday provide.

Sky sponsored to sport to increase its subscription, there are still may households who have no sky... if they splash £1million divide that by £30 per smonth subscription usually tv/internet etc. thats £360 per year.... 2777.78 subscribers.... have sky managed this through Speedway... I think so yes, are 2777.78 subscribers going to cancel their sky if they ditch Speedway? It will be a percentage but not many... as Sky would have opened up more programs to keep people interesting.... only the die hards who dont like other sports sky offer will cancel... so Sky has done well.

But it is not just what Sky get as additional subscribers, the big picture is the companies who wish to advertise on SKY TV and speedway may attract companies who would not normally advertise on SKY. Advertising has to be a big slice of their revenue.

and that Ray - and apologies for not saying your name earlier and just calling you another post - thats rude.

I dont watch speedway on sky regularly but havent noticed any specific speedway related advertisers

Sky Sports have incidently just dropped show UCMMA which is arguably one of the top 3 British mixed martial arts promotions and MMA/Cycling are the two fastest growing sports in the World - why? well Sky Sports are bidding for the rights to purchase the International rights to the UFC in the states which is ending its deal with ESPN.... in this country UFC is better known as its the biggest in the world.... what does this mean.... more pay per view nights