British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Is Speedway A Family Sport

12 year old Johnny

Don't think I would risk using that, chuck it away and buy some more

• Like 4

Midday on Good Fridays etc makes for poor tracks and racing imo. I see Lakeside are now promoting their meetings as 'The Original Extreme Sport' - it would be interesting to hear from Hammers fans if there is any difference to crowd numbers??!

I have recently seen Horse racing advertised as an extreme sport , that made me laugh , but not as much as the one advertising cricket as an extreme sport . Well having thought about it Cricket is extremely boring !!

I have recently seen Horse racing advertised as an extreme sport , that made me laugh , but not as much as the one advertising cricket as an extreme sport . Well having thought about it Cricket is extremely boring !!

That is your opinion. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by The White Knight

I think the tag 'family sport' is meant to be used in the context that it is suitable for all family members to see and not in relation to convenience in regard to the time when a meeting starts or finishes.

We are really lucky that the Rebels race on a Friday as it means I can take my soon to be 6 Grandson as its not a school night. Added bonus the track is just 15 minutes from home, happy day's!

Another factor is that many people prefer Speedway under floodlights.

Have to agree with this.... Watching the National pairs last week it simply got better as it got dark, true of most meetings of course but with such a large crowd (for us) the atmosphere also felt better under lights.....

Surprised you don't take your slippers with yeh WK, ? without US old folk going wouldn't speedway be in the mire.?

so true but not good for the sport in 10-20 years time - not enough youngsters watch the sport. Be interesting to know the average age of supporters, I think it might be close to 50!

so true but not good for the sport in 10-20 years time - not enough youngsters watch the sport. Be interesting to know the average age of supporters, I think it might be close to 50!

You could be right sadly. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Its actually 78.

Always prefer to watch racing under the lights.Its definitely a family sport, but too expensive for most familiies thesedays. You don't see many families there now, certainly not at Blunsdon on a chilly Thursday. Too many cheaper alternatives.

Edited by bertie boy

there were plenty of families with kids at central park last night. the 6.30 start time works for some people. i was leaving the stadium at 8.15 in bright sunshine!.

Its actually 78.

Always prefer to watch racing under the lights.Its definitely a family sport, but too expensive for most familiies thesedays. You don't see many families there now, certainly not at Blunsdon on a chilly Thursday. Too many cheaper alternatives.

You dont see hardly any individuals either....... :o

The starting time did not seem to stop youngsters attending years ago

But there were less attractive things to tempt them elsewhere in those days...or stay indoors 'surfing the web,'

I have gone to speedway since I was less than one. I spent hours in the car sleeping off a journey back from Newcastle on a Sunday night.

The start time for me is not a massive issue. I along with many others were brought up on the 7.30 start. Speedway is still friendly banter with rival fans. Pleasant to stand and watch. For me it will always be a family sport

Another factor is that many people prefer Speedway under floodlights.

I used to like it when the terrace lighting went off during races, more atmosphere!!!!

• Like 1