British Speedway Forum
Agrotron

Pirates 2014

With a low points limit next season possibly, Matt needs to sign THJ at all costs.

A 8 point rider in a weakened league in my opinion.

Think you Pirates should get in there before the MJJ & Harris deal is signed . MJJ & Darcy in the same team would be brilliant .

• Like 2

I know of two EL 6-pointers who approached a PL club and offered to ride for £2000+£80/£85 per point. They didn't get the job but the mere fact they were given serious consideration suggests that £55 per point is not written in stone. I understand that most Pl clubs draw the line at £60 per point though.

The £55 per point was voted in at the AGM, my point is that probably no one is sticking to it, "sponsors" are making up the difference. If anyone can point to a prem no1 who is riding for a genuine £55 I will be very surprised.

• Like 1

And it sounds like a recipe for less fans and even less money coming into their coffers.

Another cunning plan Mister B the same as the last 15 years ..bring less fans in !

thats not good...... even easier to fiddle than the points limit

lots of "extra" sponsorship, it will be a disaster, only way is the points limit, not another method yet again to muddy the water.... cant think who would have thought of that!

basically its an open charter for poole to win season on season

Excellent post - and on the right thread too!! :wink: Its about time some of the other promoters got off there a***s and looked for lots of 'extra' sponsorship!! :P

And it sounds like a recipe for less fans and even less money coming into their coffers.

Why should it mean less fans? If the racing is good and the price is right and its properly and effectively promoted, then there's every chance fans will come back especially if the team is successful!

Another cunning plan Mister B the same as the last 15 years ..bring less fans in !

Do you believe they're should be no cutbacks at all ? even with the sky money clubs will have to be careful.

E-e-exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it. It will catch the watchful fans totally off guard. Doing exactly what we've done fifteen times before ...

Do you believe they're should be no cutbacks at all ? even with the sky money clubs will have to be careful.

Not sure if you notice but they have done the same for the 15 -20 years nothing new and it has never worked ...still lets do the same again .

Why should it mean less fans? If the racing is good and the price is right and its properly and effectively promoted, then there's every chance fans will come back especially if the team is successful!

That's assuming a lot and based on previous experience I think I'll be closer to the mark.

That's assuming a lot and based on previous experience I think I'll be closer to the mark.

..and you're not assuming much either???!! The 'fifteen times before' comment covers all the Sky years and a few more when the economy was booming. Prices were increased and fans paid the increase in the early days 15 years ago. That is not the case now. There is not the money around to pay top riders - the sport HAS to cut its cloth accordingly and make it cheaper (better VFM) for fans to watch. Most people are saying how much better the PL meetings have been (certainly the televised ones). They don't have any of the 'top' riders yet the racing and entertainment have been fine - it just needs a more realistic entry fee!

• Like 2

Not sure if you notice but they have done the same for the 15 -20 years nothing new and it has never worked ...still lets do the same again .

Have you noticed they're is a shortage of cash around? your pie in the sky dream that a lost generation of fans will suddenly appear through the gates.Balance the books is a must surely? or do you suggest clubs just carry on spending money they have not got.You are right the sport has to be promoted better and changes made but at the moment i would be concentrating on keeping the loyal band of supporters who are going contented.Because a few i know are dwindling away picking and choosing they're meetings now and who is to say some might give up altogether in the future. Edited by sidney

They tried a wage restriction before, and as Jimmy Nilsson once said,he gets paid his official money, then the brown envelope appears.How do we know it won't be the same again?

They tried a wage restriction before, and as Jimmy Nilsson once said,he gets paid his official money, then the brown envelope appears.How do we know it won't be the same again?

1.The envelopes are a different colour???

2.Jimmy Nilsson is to old to race now!!

3. Ummmm....Nah haven't got a third! :D

..and you're not assuming much either???!! The 'fifteen times before' comment covers all the Sky years and a few more when the economy was booming. Prices were increased and fans paid the increase in the early days 15 years ago. That is not the case now. There is not the money around to pay top riders - the sport HAS to cut its cloth accordingly and make it cheaper (better VFM) for fans to watch. Most people are saying how much better the PL meetings have been (certainly the televised ones). They don't have any of the 'top' riders yet the racing and entertainment have been fine - it just needs a more realistic entry fee!

looks like not one of the most here:

I think that watering the product down too much will be even more nails in speedway's coffin...driving the likes of Zagar out will hardly get fans flocking to the stadium and I am sure prices wouldn't drop accordingly

I appreciate tracks are struggling but some of the points limits and projected teams are ridiculous and will drive fans away rather than enticing them back.....and the league would do nothing for developing British talent as they would be riding with a false sense of security

Have you noticed they're is a shortage of cash around?

Have you noticed they're is a shortage of cash around? your pie in the sky dream that a lost generation of fans will suddenly appear through the gates.Balance the books is a must surely? or do you suggest clubs just carry on spending money they have not got.You are right the sport has to be promoted better and changes made but at the moment i would be concentrating on keeping the loyal band of supporters who are going contented.Because a few i know are dwindling away picking and choosing they're meetings now and who is to say some might give up altogether in the future.

Why do think there is a lack of cash about ? because is a lack of fans about ..because every year they bring in cuts that bring in even less fans ....yet again next years plan is the same .
  • Like 1