British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

In the Sheffield Star:-

Taylor Poole has landed in the country to step up preparations for his first season as a Sheffield Tigers rider.

And the talented Australian is regarded as a key signing by Tigers’ chief Damian Bates who says he has the ability to challenge for the club’s number one spot.

Poole impressed during a previous spell in the UK with Ipswich and his average fits Sheffield’s plans to perfection.

Said Bates: “I am particularly pleased with the signing of Taylor Poole, he could be the key rider, for me.

With the likes of Simon Stead and Leigh Lanham you know what you’re going to get from them.

So if Taylor can challenge as a heat leader it will benefit the team.

I like the way Taylor rides and he’s super keen to become a big hit with our supporters, he’s going to be popular I am sure of that.”

The club are currently making final plans for press and practice which takes place on March 20 with the Air Fence Fund raiser as opening night, seven days later.

Said Bates: “It has been hectic since we, as a new consortium, have come to the club and everything that has needed doing.

There is a long list of things to do every day and I’m grateful for all the help we’ve had so far.

We had a fantastic night at the Legends evening last week when over £2,000 was raised towards the air fence and on behalf of all the management we cannot thank everyone enough who made the night such a big success.”

Interesting comments and you regard yourself as a friend but if Hoggart was such an excellent bloke, good at his job and sorted the takeover out single handed it begs the question why he has just got the sack.

It's clear that you don't like Hoggart, that's your choice, but don't start blaming him for other people's issues. We don't know what the new promotion promised Hoggart as part of the purchase/partnership discussions; we do know that they used him to front every press release and he was clearly the key man for them during the negotiation.

Don't know if it was because Dave Hoggart wasn't there, but at last Wednesdays 'Legends' evening it was Ian Hunter (Sheffield Window Centre)that was thanked & congratulated for being the 'middle man' between the new consortium & Neil Machin, during the long distance negotiations over the winter! If so it would appear Hoggy wasn't so important to the new guys even at that stage!

If my understanding is right, and it may not be, Ian Hunter acted as Neil's representitive in Sheffield while he was in Australia

Like what's happening in the season opener (Air Fence Fund Bonanza). Got some decent riders to come in and give our top five some competitive practice. Whilst pitting Bates & Neilsen up against some lesser competition so they've got an idea of where they are with the track/set ups etc. Can't wait for it to start - bring it on!

• Like 3

In the Sheffield Star:-

Taylor Poole has landed in the country to step up preparations for his first season as a Sheffield Tigers rider.

And the talented Australian is regarded as a key signing by Tigers’ chief Damian Bates who says he has the ability to challenge for the club’s number one spot.

Poole impressed during a previous spell in the UK with Ipswich and his average fits Sheffield’s plans to perfection.

Said Bates: “I am particularly pleased with the signing of Taylor Poole, he could be the key rider, for me.

With the likes of Simon Stead and Leigh Lanham you know what you’re going to get from them.

So if Taylor can challenge as a heat leader it will benefit the team.

I like the way Taylor rides and he’s super keen to become a big hit with our supporters, he’s going to be popular I am sure of that.”

The club are currently making final plans for press and practice which takes place on March 20 with the Air Fence Fund raiser as opening night, seven days later.

Said Bates: “It has been hectic since we, as a new consortium, have come to the club and everything that has needed doing.

There is a long list of things to do every day and I’m grateful for all the help we’ve had so far.

We had a fantastic night at the Legends evening last week when over £2,000 was raised towards the air fence and on behalf of all the management we cannot thank everyone enough who made the night such a big success.”

I think it will be interesting to see if Andre Compton can step it up at reserve he should very quickly improve his average and could be the dark horse of the team as it were .In theory he should be up to h/leader standard if it was only ring rust and bike setup that held him back last season or will he join along list of riders who never make that dream "comback ".

Edited by FAST GATER

I think it will be interesting to see if Andre Compton can step it up at reserve he should very quickly improve his average and could be the dark horse of the team as it were .In theory he should be up to h/leader standard if it was only ring rust and bike setup that held him back last season or will he join along list of riders who never make that dream "comback ".

How many meetings is Andre going to be at reserve for though?

At least 6 home and 6 away isn't it? and then it is on the basis that Andre will make a mockery of his average at reserve and that Simon N doesn't do the same in the main body of the team.

Be interesting to see what riding order they go with - I imagine it will be:

1. Simon S

2. Simon N

3. Poole

4. Lanham

5. Roynon

6. Compton

7. Josh

But they might be tempted to sacrifice Simon N and put him at no. 5 so that we have 2 solid/experienced pairings in the main body of the team to get points - like we did last year with Facu - and hope that Andre can get solid points at reserve and act like a heat leader when riding with him

At least 6 home and 6 away isn't it? and then it is on the basis that Andre will make a mockery of his average at reserve and that Simon N doesn't do the same in the main body of the team.

1. Simon S

2. Simon N

3. Poole

4. Lanham

5. Roynon

6. Compton

7. Josh

But they might be tempted to sacrifice Simon N and put him at no. 5 so that we have 2 solid/experienced pairings in the main body of the team to get points - like we did last year with Facu - and hope that Andre can get solid points at reserve and act like a heat leader when riding with him

I'd go with that top 5, but would put Andre at 7 and Josh at 6, so Josh gets inside gate in Heat 2 and we have Andre paired with Nielsen in Heat 8.

In theory we should have no weak races (particulary at home) with that.

Edited by Tigerite

The Sheffield Star is doing well this week:-

Joe Screen has vowed to be a hands-on manager of Sheffield Tigers this season.

The former British Champion, who quit racing last season after a glittering career, says he wants to focus on working closely with riders in a coaching capacity – as well as brushing up on the rulebook.

And Screen says he is happy to get his hands dirty on a race night if members of his team need help in the pits.

“I’ve always been a hard worker in speedway and always got my hands dirty when needed,” said the former Bradford and Belle Vue star.

“And I will continue to do so as a manager, I have no problem with that. I want to work with the lads and if there is something they need help with on their bike I will be happy to give them my opinion.

“I know the rulebook is complicated at times, but for me a big part of management is working closely with the lads, making sure they have respect for you and helping them along the way.

“We have a talented group of lads and I think the team spirit will be fine. We’re all getting together next week for the press and practice, and I’m confident we will get along great.

“I’m looking forward to working with the younger lads like Josh Bates; he reminds me of when I was first starting out and I think I can offer him some help. And me and Simon Stead have always got on great, it’s good to have him as skipper .

“It’s a new chapter in my life and I’m pleased to be at a club like Sheffield. The new people seem nice guys and I’m sure the supporters are in for an exciting season.”

New Tigers signing Taylor Poole will line up in the opening meeting of the Owlerton season. Poole, who jetted back into the UK from his Australian base over the weekend, will link up with the remainder of the top five from the revamped Sheffield side for the Air Fence Fund Bonanza on Thursday, March 27 (7.45).

He will be joined by fellow countryman Cameron Woodward, who is once again riding for Elite League Eastbourne this season.

Season ticket holders will be offered a £5 discount on admission for the meeting.

The Sheffield Star is doing well this week:-

Joe Screen has vowed to be a hands-on manager of Sheffield Tigers this season.

The former British Champion, who quit racing last season after a glittering career, says he wants to focus on working closely with riders in a coaching capacity – as well as brushing up on the rulebook.

And Screen says he is happy to get his hands dirty on a race night if members of his team need help in the pits.

“I’ve always been a hard worker in speedway and always got my hands dirty when needed,” said the former Bradford and Belle Vue star.

“And I will continue to do so as a manager, I have no problem with that. I want to work with the lads and if there is something they need help with on their bike I will be happy to give them my opinion.

“I know the rulebook is complicated at times, but for me a big part of management is working closely with the lads, making sure they have respect for you and helping them along the way.

“We have a talented group of lads and I think the team spirit will be fine. We’re all getting together next week for the press and practice, and I’m confident we will get along great.

“I’m looking forward to working with the younger lads like Josh Bates; he reminds me of when I was first starting out and I think I can offer him some help. And me and Simon Stead have always got on great, it’s good to have him as skipper .

“It’s a new chapter in my life and I’m pleased to be at a club like Sheffield. The new people seem nice guys and I’m sure the supporters are in for an exciting season.”

New Tigers signing Taylor Poole will line up in the opening meeting of the Owlerton season. Poole, who jetted back into the UK from his Australian base over the weekend, will link up with the remainder of the top five from the revamped Sheffield side for the Air Fence Fund Bonanza on Thursday, March 27 (7.45).

He will be joined by fellow countryman Cameron Woodward, who is once again riding for Elite League Eastbourne this season.

Season ticket holders will be offered a £5 discount on admission for the meeting.

Good luck to Joe and the Tigers his enthusiasm could be infectuous i hope they have a good year.

I'd go with that top 5, but would put Andre at 7 and Josh at 6, so Josh gets inside gate in Heat 2 and we have Andre paired with Nielsen in Heat 8.

In theory we should have no weak races (particulary at home) with that.

Makes sense to have Andre at 7 at home in my book too.I think the Poole/Lanham combo could be awesome once they get dialled in.Looking forward to an injury free season and a succesful one too.

• Like 1

Good luck to Joe and the Tigers his enthusiasm could be infectuous i hope they have a good year.

Certainly hope so, the last couple of seasons have been dank, dismal and depressing/

Have more fun at funeral.

Certainly hope so, the last couple of seasons have been dank, dismal and depressing/

Have more fun at funeral.

There were times when it looked like Ricky Wells was at a funeral.

• Like 2

1. Simon S

2. Simon N

3. Poole

4. Lanham

5. Roynon

6. Compton

7. Josh

I am hoping that Big Joe will juggle the riding around.

For home meetings I would go with.

(1) Simon Stead

(2) Simon Nielsen

(3) Taylor Poole

(4) Leigh Lanham

(5) Adam Roynon

(6) Josh Bates

(7) Andre Compton

then for away meetings

(1) Simon Stead

(2) Simon Nielsen

(3) Taylor Poole

(4\) Adam Roynon

(5) Leigh Lanham

(6) Andre Compton

(7) Josh Bates

• Like 1

Looking forward to the visits of Sheffield at the EOES, should be belters! But IMO shouldn't change riding orders for riding at home and away, you'll get no consistency with the riders, just stick with the 1-7 home and away.

• Like 1