British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
george.m

A British World Champion - Does This Influence Views About One-off World Finals?

Question regarding the one off finals, i know that they went to semi finals at the end but in the older days it was 5 from the continental finals and 11 from the inter continental finals. If this was still in play today what do people think would be the qualifyer numbers from both qualifyers

Tai's GP average was 13.40

Emil's was 12.67.

Plus Tai's injuries came in GP's and would have hampered his average through lost points resulting from that.

Totally deserving Wotld champion despite injuries to other conteners. Also, he had the highest average and was leading at the time of Emil's injury.

Think you have done same as me. Those are the averages on the SGP website but they dont take into account the last two GPs

It is all irrelevant anyway because, as you say, Tai is a most deserved world champion

Think you have done same as me. Those are the averages on the SGP website but they dont take into account the last two GPs

It is all irrelevant anyway because, as you say, Tai is a most deserved world champion

Ah right. In any case, Tai rode the last two rounds knowing what he needed to do.

It was interesting on Polish tv when they interviewed Tai (in English) after he won. The interviewer said to him: "I'll tell you the difference between your championshp and Mark Loram's championship. The difference is YOU were the man to beat."

So 12.58 to 12.67 means Emil is the real champ.

Tai is a paper champ, A bit like Carl Froch in the super middleweight division.

Edited by Hougaard Racing Fans

Its been creaming its knickers over being able to say something like that. Just ignore her

• Like 2

So 12.58 to 12.67 means Emil is the real champ.

Tai is a paper champ, A bit like Carl Froch in the super middleweight division.

what a total fool you really are do us all a favour and keep your mouth quiet if you not got anything decent to say

• Like 1

what a total fool you really are do us all a favour and keep your mouth quiet if you not got anything decent to say

Who is the real fool here I wonder...

• Like 3

GP's everytime.

After the one off, I occasionally felt cheated as good riders dropped a chain and that was it, end of world final for them.

oddly though, Tia winning the world championship has rekindled my brothers interest and he hasn't been since Tatum rode for Cov!

GP's everytime.

After the one off, I occasionally felt cheated as good riders dropped a chain and that was it, end of world final for them.

oddly though, Tia winning the world championship has rekindled my brothers interest and he hasn't been since Tatum rode for Cov!

Was hoping Tia would make a reappearance, fed up with everyone going on about this Tai fellow...

• Like 1

Actually, it's topics like this that hold Speedway back, continuously focusing on what was, Yes, world final nights under the twin towers were fantastic occasions, but speedway was probably the only big time motor sport that _didn't_ have a grand prix system to decide it's world champion. We've moved on - a long time ago, actually. OK, the British Final meant a lot more back then, but so what - it's just part of the rich historical tapestry of the sport, doff your cap to it, remember some great meetings, but it's in the past. It's swings and roundabouts, and not much stands still - we've now got something that is among the best motor sport on two wheels around and long may it continue.

• Like 1

Actually, it's topics like this that hold Speedway back, continuously focusing on what was, Yes, world final nights under the twin towers were fantastic occasions, but speedway was probably the only big time motor sport that _didn't_ have a grand prix system to decide it's world champion. We've moved on - a long time ago, actually. OK, the British Final meant a lot more back then, but so what - it's just part of the rich historical tapestry of the sport, doff your cap to it, remember some great meetings, but it's in the past. It's swings and roundabouts, and not much stands still - we've now got something that is among the best motor sport on two wheels around and long may it continue.

Perhaps I could have made the initial post clearer davidncohen.

The point I was trying to make is to those who want to go back to a one off final, which I disagree with.

They have the British world champion they wanted, but he probably wouldn't be world champ under the one off system.

Perhaps I could have made the initial post clearer davidncohen.

The point I was trying to make is to those who want to go back to a one off final, which I disagree with.

They have the British world champion they wanted, but he probably wouldn't be world champ under the one off system.

george.m - No, I think your post was clear to me. To be a bit clearer myself, the point is, why even ask the question in the first place? It's coming up for nearly 20 years since the SGP started, and yet we still feel it necessary to ask questions like this. Why? Where does it really get us? Who cares about the people who still want a one-off World Final. Why even give them the media space, the credibility, in the first place? Hope this makes it a bit clearer. Do you think the BBC and all the other media organisations who covered Tai's great success even for one tiny moment asked this question? The answer is no. So why should we bring it up and give anyone the opportunity? It's a bit like asking would the stars of the 60's have beaten today's current crop, given equal motor bikes (No, it's OK, no-one has to answer this :-)

I am a big Emil fan and wanted him to win this year.

But the pressure got to him and Tai overhauled his lead.

Tai is a thouroughly deserved world champion and did it the hard way.

Emil may well end up as one of those greats who never win a world title.

I do hope that is not the case as he is such a great rider.

But to belittle Tai's world championship win is a bit silly.

The guy won it fair and square and probably would have done it whoever was there.

He had his share of injuries and who is to say he would have not scored more points if fit.

For me the world champion deserves to be world champion by virtue of beating those he has to beat.

Injuries have always played a part in this sport and always will.

Sometimes those deserving of something become injured and fail to get it.

Welcome to Speedway :)

And as far as one off finals go. No is my answer.

Under the old system we would likely never get a Brit champion.

The GP system seperates the men from the boys in a way the one off system never could.

Babbling on about qualifiers and some mythical fairness the old system had is pointless.

The GP system ensures the best are fighting it out in a way qualifiers never could.

I was at Wembley when Penhall won.

Great crowd and great atmosphere but OK racing and the field was not the best 16 riders by any means.

Forget Wembley and what once was.

That crowd no longer exists here and they struggle to get 40000 in Cardiff.

History is great and speedway has a great history but living in the past should be left to Jethro Tull.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 2