British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
george.m

A British World Champion - Does This Influence Views About One-off World Finals?

So we have a British World Champion after a long wait.

In my mind the best man across the whole 2013 season rightfully won.

If we'd had a one-off World Final its possible Tai wouldn't have won. I emphasise 'possible', because we just don't know.

Withdrew from one meeting, suffered in another a serious injury that inhibited his performance.

Under the old one-off system there's a strong possibility he may not have qualified for the final, and if he had he may not have won carrying an injury.

Undoubtedly, one-off finals generate a different type and level of excitement, but do they give us the World Champion we deserve? I would say - no.

Does Tai's win change anyone's mind either in favour or against one-off finals or GPs?

Edited by george.m

To be honest I accepted several years ago that the GP series was an improvement on the old one of world final. At the time it was suggested I was one the doubters who thought it would destroy British League racing but I admit I really enjoy the series.

In answer to the question NO. The gps are superb watching live & on the box well done to all involved & believe you get a true champion.

To be honest I accepted several years ago that the GP series was an improvement on the old one of world final. At the time it was suggested I was one the doubters who thought it would destroy British League racing but I admit I really enjoy the series.

In answer to the question NO. The gps are superb watching live & on the box well done to all involved & believe you get a true champion.

Agree with you both, I just wonder how many of those in favour of "one-off" now find it difficult to say it?

I'll admit that the GPs are a better/fairer way of deciding the championships, but there was still something magical about the one off finals and indeed the qualifiers too. Especially when the British Final actually meant something.

• Like 1

The gp is a far far better way of deciding the world champion.

Various riders have been injured this season and could have missed qualifying rounds.

Imagine a one off final without Holder, Ward, Jonsson, Woffinden, Gollob, Lindgren, Sayfutdinov, Nicki Pedersen.

Great spectacle that would be.

Yes injury can stop you being champion in the gp series as well. Holder and Sayfutdinov the obvious ones here. But it can also mean you can be injured for a fortnight miss a gp or ride throught the pain barrier and still be world champ.

Munich 1989 showed what can happen with a few injuries to key riders

• Like 1

Na sgp is rubbish, lets go back to a one off final on upright weslakes, open face helmets and cinders :P

It has destroyed the British league. The best night of the week for Speedway racing is Saturday night . Since the GP's started how many meeting do we now have on a saturday. For teams like Belle Vue their gates on Saturday's would at least be double than the coffin night of Monday. Same would apply to all the other clubs that used to run on a saturday (or even Friday ) nights. Take the GP's off TV and the crowds would be flocking back to weekend racing. On the occasion when Ipswich raced on a saturday night they always get a better crowd than a Thursday.

• Like 1

It has destroyed the British league. The best night of the week for Speedway racing is Saturday night . Since the GP's started how many meeting do we now have on a saturday. For teams like Belle Vue their gates on Saturday's would at least be double than the coffin night of Monday. Same would apply to all the other clubs that used to run on a saturday (or even Friday ) nights. Take the GP's off TV and the crowds would be flocking back to weekend racing. On the occasion when Ipswich raced on a saturday night they always get a better crowd than a Thursday.

Good point you only to look at Rye House ,Glasgow etc to see that weekend racing brings in massive crowds .

The best night of the week for Speedway racing is Saturday night . Since the GP's started how many meeting do we now have on a saturday.

Given that many clubs are tenants, how many could race regularly on Saturday anyway? Coventry- No, Poole- No, Peterborough, No, Wolves- No, Swindon- No Birmingham- No, Lakeside- No, Belle Vue- No, Kings Lynn- No. Eastbourne- Yes

So, of the 10 Elite league tracks only one is regularly available for Saturday racing anyway.

Could someone remind me why the GP series is stopping Saturday Elite league racing?

Niamh

• Like 2

Given that many clubs are tenants, how many could race regularly on Saturday anyway? Coventry- No, Poole- No, Peterborough, No, Wolves- No, Swindon- No Birmingham- No, Lakeside- No, Belle Vue- No, Kings Lynn- No. Eastbourne- Yes

So, of the 10 Elite league tracks only one is regularly available for Saturday racing anyway.

Could someone remind me why the GP series is stopping Saturday Elite league racing?

Niamh

you cant convince some people Niamh

let them live in the dark ages as far as the world title is concerned

Good point you only to look at Rye House ,Glasgow etc to see that weekend racing brings in massive crowds .

So why has the ELRC at Swindon on a Saturday night and not their usual Thursday night. Do you really think they would get more on a thurday night than a saturday

I rest my case

Saturday night is not a generally available night at Swindon...

Why do you think Swindon don't race on Saturdays on mon-GPP weekends?

Niamh

It certainly not done the top tier of British racing a lot of good but the PL has not been affected as much so it's wrong to say it has destroyed the British league.

But SGP is here to stay and it is a great improvement on one off finals.

The champion needs to prove himself over a season rather than get a lucky break by virtue of riding on a track he likes for one night.

Tai is a good example of a rider really having to work season long to get to the pinacle.

I doubt crowds would flock back to speedway here if you had strippers as it's expensive and cold and wet and has rubbish tips for stadia and strippers can be found in a nice warm pub for a lot less.

British speedways problem is not the SGP it's simply it's an anachronism stuck in an era of flat caps and pidgeons run by second hand car dealers and people who own scrapyards.

By the time it realises that it will have gone the way of the Dodo picked clean and dumped in a ditch.

It's a shame as it's a great sport but to blame the progressive attitude of the GP system for the failure of a 50s throwback like our EL/PL is too daft for words.

• Like 1

Massive? What's a massive size crowd figure these days?