British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
george.m

A British World Champion - Does This Influence Views About One-off World Finals?

details 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png London

Wembley Stadium 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Jack Young (12+3 pts) 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Split Waterman (12+2 pts) 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Jack Biggs (12+1 pts)

BritPete. There can be no doubt that the GP format is a lot fairer than the old one-off world final, but nothing can quite compete with the tension and excitement of the old finals, whereby one mistake, engine failure, or fall, would mean the end, because no one ever won a world title with less than 13 points.

Tell that to Youngie's heirs mate. :approve: . Regards. Alan.

Wembley Stadium 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Jack Young (12+3 pts) 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Split Waterman (12+2 pts) 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Jack Biggs (12+1 pts)

BritPete. There can be no doubt that the GP format is a lot fairer than the old one-off world final, but nothing can quite compete with the tension and excitement of the old finals, whereby one mistake, engine failure, or fall, would mean the end, because no one ever won a world title with less than 13 points.

Lol, I didn't go to that one!

Sam ermolenko won his title with 12, coming home last in his final ride.

I think Hans lost a run off for the title after finishing on 12 also.

Both in the 90s, possibly reflecting tougher fields after the swap to two semi finals instead of continental final qualifying route?

Lol, I didn't go to that one!

I was 7 and the BBC showed heats 13 to 20 on a Thursday night with Alan Weekes commentating. Jack Biggs had 12 from his first 4 rides, needing one point from his last ride to be crowned champion- and he came last! Youngie was a Monarch then and the first(and only ?) second division rider to triumph. For those who complain about Sky or tv coverage today, that was it for speedway fans on the television then. "See you next September". All the best. Alan.

• Like 1

Both in the 90s, possibly reflecting tougher fields after the swap to two semi finals instead of continental final qualifying route?

Jesus, I can't believe I got this so wrong! Must be age!

Jesus, I can't believe I got this so wrong! Must be age!

That's always my excuse. :lol: Not sure if i am the ultimate vet on the board, but, at 69, i have to be up there. :t: Still love it though and get "the tingle" every time i see 4 lads come up to the tapes. Regards. Alan.

I think the two semi-finals came in around 1991, and didn't Jan O. Pedersen win the world final that year with a 15-point maximum? Havelock also won the following year with 14 points - 3 points clear of Per Jonsson in second place.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

On the other side of the coin 14 points was only good enough for third place in 1960!!!!

Hans lost three run offs altogether, the one you mention was 1994 against Rickardsson. He also lost in 1985 on 13 points and 1988 on 14. Both times to Erik Gundersen

I have changed my opinion a little over the years, the series now is in a great way and i do enjoy it.But for me the one off meetings were exciting and believe it or not apart from Jerzy generally the right riders won it.Ok sometimes in the wrong year (Briggs would of won in 72) Olsen unlucky) Nielsen unlucky but his class carried him through.For me to qualify on MERIT EVERYEAR is so different to now now there is a safety net to win a one off final was a different quality and mental strength needed.Now the series has moved on buggered our league up but it is a great product no doubt about that.