British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

DON'T think anyone said it would be the envy of the world... but I would venture that the grandstand will be superior to that at any other British stadium staging speedway (other than Cardiff of course), as others have said temporary grandstands can be erected as and when required, the track will have proper drainage from the off and its shape and size should provide for terrific racing.

Can understand why some are still sceptical but not those who continually talk it down., Very few (any?) bright spots on the horizon for British speedway right now and those who have stuck diligently to the immense task in getting this through so many hoops and detours deserve some praise surely?

If the facility is available for use throughout the week then the BSPA as a whole should avail themselves of it and underline its name tag.

My understanding is that spades will go in the ground very shortly after planning permission is confirmed. The money is there, the builders are itching to get started...

Since you've weighed into this debate as usual at the first sign of criticism of the NSS,can I quote you as guaranteeing that the National Speedway Stadium will be a venue that can hold World events with a capacity in excess of 10,000 and it will adequately provide the track availability required to train and mentor the best young talent in the country.

Sunday 3hr Training

Monday 2hr Training

Tuesday 2hr Training

Wednesday 4.5hr NL match

Thursday Rest

Friday 4.5hr EL Match

Saturday 4.5hr BSPA/FIM event

Since you've weighed into this debate as usual at the first sign of criticism of the NSS,can I quote you as guaranteeing that the National Speedway Stadium will be a venue that can hold World events with a capacity in excess of 10,000 and it will adequately provide the track availability required to train and mentor the best young talent in the country.

NO... training and mentoring the best young talent in the country requires more than track availability

NO... training and mentoring the best young talent in the country requires more than track availability

What about the + 10,000 capacity for World Events ?

TO the best of my current knowledge that is still an option but what speedway event would draw a crowd in excess of 10,000? The new stadium has always been envisaged as a venue for the Speedway World Cup but even that would be unlikely to draw a crowd of that nature.

I find it odd in this day and age of new stadiums that there is only cover on one side of the stadium, im not sure of all the plans but will it be a four sided stadium for viewing and Im not taking the pee here but Manchester is well known for its rain so I would have thought at least a bit of cover for the supporters on the back straight, so people can come in from the bends incase of bad weather to shelter until it stops.

Saying that I am looking forward to seeing the finished stadium as its always exciting going to a new venue.

Just another thought, if this is to be a National Centre, one would have expected there to be plans to include an 80cc track etc to help develop the future. All I can see is a 3g Rugby League pitch. Is the future in Rugby League??

Lol!

"Training can also take place on event days"

That doesn't mean (I know it's obvious but some people!) that training can ONLY take place on event days.

There will be 7 hours 'stand alone' training a week as described plus training on event days. Each training session will be limited to 2 hours during the week and three hours at the weekend.

If I was a resident about to complain I would be saying that during the main season the stadium will be used for, say, 2 hours on a Monday, 2 hours on a Tuesday and three hours on a Sunday and there will be 43 days when events also allow a 2 hour training session to be conducted.

In the out of season there will be training for say 2 hours on a Monday, 2 hours on Tuesday and 3 hours on Saturday and there will be a 6 days when events also allow a two hour training session to be conducted.

Where do you get that training sessions on event days isnt included in the seven hours for that week? It says there may be training on event days "within these parameters", which most would interpret to include the seven hours restriction as well as the time slot restriction?
  • Like 1

perhaps Milton Keynes might be a better option as a training centre

or that place near Burton

I have to say that when I first glanced over it that was the impression I got. No doubt a deliberate attempt to hide the availability from the locals or just a genuine mistake.

"In addition, there shall be 7 hours of practice sessions 3 of which will be Sundays (main season) or Saturdays (out of season). The practice sessions shall start no later than 12:00 (midday) and finish no later than 18:00 in order to protect residential amenity. Training can take place on event days within these parameters."

However

"For the avoidance of doubt training can take place on main and out of season event days"

Clearly (or not!) the parameters referred to are the start and finish time (1200 to 1800) otherwise the avoidance of doubt that training can also take place on a Saturday ie on an event day, in the main season would be at odds with the 'parameters' (training on Saturday only in the 'out of season') had the parameters included the whole paragraph.

Thanks for asking the question in a sensible manner. Had you asked it like a diickhead the answer would have been a bit different.

Cheers

Nice one. :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

That Belle Vue do get a stadium one day is definately important.

But do we need two close-to-identical threads running here in parallel?

Besides, better late than never eh? Just ask a fan from Bradford or Oxford or Reading or Cradley or.......

There are actually still stadiums at Bradford and Oxford though, probably still with better facilities.. LOL

TO the best of my current knowledge that is still an option but what speedway event would draw a crowd in excess of 10,000?

Well, erm... a GP?

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy that you'll never get a 10,000+ crowd if you can't actually get that many into the stadium in the first place. No-one is expecting Wembley, but surely a 'national stadium' should be aiming at 10-15K, even if it's only a theoretical capacity in the initial stages.

• Like 1

There are actually still stadiums at Bradford and Oxford though, probably still with better facilities.. LOL

Well, erm... a GP?

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy that you'll never get a 10,000+ crowd if you can't actually get that many into the stadium in the first place. No-one is expecting Wembley, but surely a 'national stadium' should be aiming at 10-15K, even if it's only a theoretical capacity in the initial stages.

WAS not including a SGP in that scenario... why would they want one anywhere other than Cardiff? Sorry, let's not resurrect that old chestnut again.

I would imagine that a SWC Final at the new BV in 2016 might well attract a crowd in excess of 10,000 and as you can see from the pictorials @speedwaystarmag there is plenty of scope to adjust the usual capacity accordingly and get in well over that number.