British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Haven't you read the thread(s)?

It does get tiresome answering the same questions time and time again.

While I'm being called a hater and told I don't want it to happen expect me to point out that I said it wouldn't happen and it hasn't. Was told SWC final in 2013 and 2015 and GPs. I see none of them. I didn't happen. Go on, tell me I'm wrong. Because people are already saying I and a number of others don't want it to happen despite none of us saying such a thing and why would we?

Yes, I'm aware Wembley is in the south, but at least it's the biggest stadium in the country and located in the capital city.

But St George's Park is the National Football Centre and that isn't the biggest stadium in the country nor located in the capital.

Damn that F.A. with their wrong misleading names!

Edited by John Leslie

But St George's Park is the National Football Centre and that isn't the biggest stadium in the country nor located in the capital.

Damn that F.A. with their wrong misleading names!

Wembley is the National Football Stadium.

Maybe the Manchester speedway stadium should be called the National Speedway Centre then? As pointed out, incorrectly named thus causing confusion.

FFS!!!

Now we finally see progress and all of a sudden the soddin name becomes an issue to some!!!

It will be the largest purpose built speedway stadium in the country therefore calling it a 'National' stadium is both apposite and gives the sport a definitive arena with which to promote itself to the outside world....

For me, well done to the managment of the aces, truly a heroic effort to get where we are, however as many have said, no point having a nice new stadium to stand or sit in which showpieces the sport wonderfully and then see Wolves turn up to race with five guests.....

• Like 1

This is a fantastic day for speedway in Britain and particularly for Belle Vue. David Gordon and Chris Morton have achieved what no other promoters have had either the vision or skill to achieve in bringing this project to the stage where planning permission was granted unanimously.

This is going to be the first purpose built speedway stadium in a built up area close to a major city centre for very many years. The facilities far outstrip anything presently available for regular racing. All of the finance is in place and the contractors are ready to start work.

We all know it has taken longer than anyone, including the Belle Vue management, hoped. The reality is that whatever they have said was based on time estimates they were given by those who supposedly were experienced in these matters but who now cares? The fact is that there may still be delays but David Gordon and Chris Morton will do what they have done throughout and show the expertise and determination which has moved on this project from what many would have regarded as a hopeless cause, to now being a short step from reality.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 5

What have you got against the North? Is it that as we are North of Watford Gap we don't matter.

Why does everyone in the north have such hang-ups?

It's nothing to do with whether something is in the north or not, but whether it's actually a national stadium for the sport concerned. It wouldn't be any different if it were at Poole or Peterborough (not sure if Peterborough is south of the Watford Gap though...)

So the FA National training centre at Burton has the wrong name? The National Tennis centre at Roehampton has the wrong name?

It's not the same thing as they're training facilities that are centrally funded by their sports' governing bodies as national facilities, and which I assume, don't stage events open to the public.

Is Belle Vue being funded by the BSPA in any way, shape or form? Will it have any sort of preferential status with respect to hosting major meeting? If not, then 'national stadium' is a misnomer for a club track, even if I understand why it's being called that.

How long before it becomes The National Speedway and Stock Car Stadium?

So why were we told it would host the SWC in 2013 and 2015 and they were looking to have a GP there? It's not us that got it wrong but the clubs statements.

Please find me a club statement that said GP. It was never said.

Humphrey, if you understand why it is being called the National Stadium then what is your concern.

So far as I know there is no BSPA funding but it will undoubtedly be given preference for major meetings simply because the likes of BSI, Sky, Eurosport and the BSPA will see and want the advantage of showing off some of their prestigious events in the only speedway stadium in the UK that will have 21st century facilities.

As for stock cars, the present promotion say definitely not.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter in the slightest what it is called (how about the Peter Craven stadium - a BRITISH world champion and a Belle Vue icon)

What matters is that it gets built.

Given the financials I have seen that can't be taken for granted. There is a difference between being sceptical and not wanting the stadium to be built - could we try and be a bit more positive instead of abusing those who remain to be convinced that the project will come to fruition.

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see the planning permission hurdle has not only been cleared but, by all accounts, comprehensively sorted out which is a great achievement in the current planning climate for any speedway club whether it's new, old or moving along its local road.

But given it's taken just over 3 years from the August 2011 Belle Vue fans forum to secure this planning permission when even the more cautious speakers that evening were hoping for permission in March 2012 and stadium-opening by the end of 2012, I'll still reserve my full congratulations until the stadium's successfully up-&-running.

I hope the amount of facilities and spectator-capacity being built (or temporarily accounted for on big-event days) will generate enough money to keep on top of the 24-year city-council loan but the figurework still looks tough to me, hence my overall reservations despite today's big step forward.

In one respect, today's news confirms perhaps the biggest challenge of all for Dave Gordon, Chris Morton and everyone else at Belle Vue involved in this project because (albeit much delayed) they've been able to obtain the planning-permission and building-loan plenty of other speedway projects elsewhere in the country have found so difficult to secure.

Now they've got no-one else to blame if they can't go on to deliver a successful finished product.

Why does everyone in the north have such hang-ups?

It's nothing to do with whether something is in the north or not, but whether it's actually a national stadium for the sport concerned. It wouldn't be any different if it were at Poole or Peterborough (not sure if Peterborough is south of the Watford Gap though...)

It's not the same thing as they're training facilities that are centrally funded by their sports' governing bodies as national facilities, and which I assume, don't stage events open to the public.

Is Belle Vue being funded by the BSPA in any way, shape or form? Will it have any sort of preferential status with respect to hosting major meeting? If not, then 'national stadium' is a misnomer for a club track, even if I understand why it's being called that.

I don't - you said it - NOT ME!!!

:blink: :blink:

So far as I know there is no BSPA funding but it will undoubtedly be given preference for major meetings simply because the likes of BSI, Sky, Eurosport and the BSPA will see and want the advantage of showing off some of their prestigious events in the only speedway stadium in the UK that will have 21st century facilities.

I thought the resident BSI scribe said 'why would the GP go to Belle Vue' or words to that effect?

I'm not sure about 21st century facilities - I'd settle for 20th century facilities at a speedway track... ;)

• Like 1

1st spade expected to go in January. Everything is in place to go go go.

• Like 1