British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Crazy robin

Heats 5 & 6

I hope they look at these 2 heats next season as they more often than not just end up in a home 5-1 in Heat 5 & an Away 5-1 in Heat 6.

• Like 2

Yes. Very badly thought out.

Couldn't agree more. Even more ridiculous that TR's are permitted in these heats!

• Like 1

Yes. Very badly thought out.

Really? I think the problem lies more with keeping the FT riders away from anyone other than second strings coupled with ensuring each rider gets a start off each of the gates over the 14 heats.

Edited by TonyE

Its no different to the heats 12 and 13 in the old 13 heat format really. Nothing to stop teams putting their best rider at 3 .

• Like 1

All good points but there is the flexibility for teams to put their top 3 riders at any of the 1-3-5 positions. Up to the team manager to choose to cover these heats by putting his best rider at 3 if he's that worried.

This is one instance which gives the team manager the tactical input they so sought during the winter when the new race format was being agreed.

Looking at all the teams in the Elite league, the senses of opinion seems to put their top riders at 1 and 5. Trying to think of the reasons for this, Team Manager want the opportunity to score 5-1's as often as possible. I like the idea of the top man being No1. Its like a mantel on his shoulder saying you're the top man and everyone knows that. Of the other two, I believe 5 has always good company of heat leaders to race with, whereas, 3 has to fend and protect a second string in some the races, so probably 3 is tougher place then 5....

The knack here is to have 3 accomplished heat leaders. Now that Rory's back to his old form, being at No 3, brings all his attributes to the fore.......

Race formula is utterly abysmal. Heat 5 with home top 2 against (usually) 2 lesser standard riders is ridiculous. And then if the home team gets ten ahead the away side is able to use a tactical in the next heat where they clearly have the stronger pair. Should have used the 1988 race formula and left it at that. You tell me how they are going to come up with realistic averages for next year.

• Like 2

At Lynn last week it was 5-1s to Lynn in hts 5 and 6! Not only that but Eastbourne TR'd in ht 6 too, so it certainly isn't a foregone conclusion.

As has been said its up to the team manager where he puts his top 2 anyway so... whats the problem??

On the whole.. With the changes in the winter, I think the race format is relatively well thought out. Yes, heat 5 does need sorting, but seeing as though it's the first season with the FT riders I think they've done well. I'm sure next season will change. All I see is moan moan moan, a small hitch is all it is!

• Like 1