British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Looks like the Phillips can't run a Pub as well as a Speedway Team, this is a review on Tripadviser on there Pub,The Brook Inn Redditch

My local for more than 30 years is in a desperate state. The current landlord cannot arrange for there to be any beer or a decent lager. The glasswasher has been leaking onto the bar floor for months and their ice has to come from a supermarket - if they can be bothered. Three out of three beers off tonight plus the Peroni and another lager. Place is pretty much empty every night. Time for the present management to move on and let someone with half a clue about running a pub take it on.

Edited by Bentley

Looks like the Phillips can't run a Pub as well as a Speedway Team, this is a review on Tripadviser on there Pub,The Brook Inn Redditch

My local for more than 30 years is in a desperate state. The current landlord cannot arrange for there to be any beer or a decent lager. The glasswasher has been leaking onto the bar floor for months and their ice has to come from a supermarket - if they can be bothered. Three out of three beers off tonight plus the Peroni and another lager. Place is pretty much empty every night. Time for the present management to move on and let someone with half a clue about running a pub take it on.

so he really can't organise a p**s up in a brewery either it seems ?

• Like 1

From what I've heard tonight since posting on here and Facebook, Charles is the sole reason why Birmingham closed and I'm quite confident on that information.

• Like 1

From what I've heard tonight since posting on here and Facebook, Charles is the sole reason why Birmingham closed and I'm quite confident on that information.

Wow! And to think he had the gall to ask us fans for the fighting fund to help him run in 2015!!!!

• Like 3

Wow! And to think he had the gall to ask us fans for the fighting fund to help him run in 2015!!!!

The same as Tony Mole was asking for a hundred grand to help him run this year !

• Like 1

Bentley you forgot to add it averaged 3.5 out off 5 by tripadvisor which seems quite reasonable for English food.The person who gave it 1 could be compitition

Bentley you forgot to add it averaged 3.5 out off 5 by tripadvisor which seems quite reasonable for English food.The person who gave it 1 could be compitition

Also those giving it 5 could be Phillips or friends of, plenty of fake reviews of various places on tripadvisor.

Personally I think Cradley going to PB is bad news for all concerned, with only 1 night a week allowed, that's the Brummies finished for the forseeable future, and it would also let Dudley Council off the hook with less pressure to find Cradley a proper home in their actual area instead of squatting at Birmingham, net result is Brummies are dead and Cradley probably won't return to Cradley/Dudley for over 20 years.

The same as Tony Mole was asking for a hundred grand to help him run this year !

Tony Mole is more reliable wouldn't you agree? When the Phillips's lips moved what were we to believe....

Edited by Deano

No that £100k included his own investment,he was looking to raise sufficient working capital to take it beyond 2015 and required additional investors to share the pain of rebuilding it and to give suppliers who had been let down some comfort and once in the Mole will never default whatever the circumstances.

• Like 1

Whether we (Brummies), or Cradley fans, like it or not, NO SPEEDWAY at Perry Barr in 2015 will certainly mean the end of The Brummies in my lifetime, and quite possibly the end of The Heathens as well.

I can well appreciate the views of both sets of fans regarding The Heathens being at Perry Barr, but, as I've stated above, I believe that No Speedway at Perry Barr will certainly mean the end.

Speedway back at Perry Barr in 2016, after a years break, - NO CHANCE whatsoever.

No that £100k included his own investment,he was looking to raise sufficient working capital to take it beyond 2015 and required additional investors to share the pain of rebuilding it and to give suppliers who had been let down some comfort and once in the Mole will never default whatever the circumstances.

How much was Tony Moles's investment ?

How much was Tony Moles's investment ?

£30,000

Perhaps there is another way to keep the Birmingham Speedway track (as opposed to simply The Brummies) in existence.

I'm not sure whether this would be feasible or not (perhaps someone with "inside" knowledge could enlighten me), but, would it possible for a series of 5/6 "Top Quality" meetings to take place at Perry Barr?

For example, Test Matches against Sweden, Denmark and possibly Poland. The SWC match, perhaps the British Final etc.

If these were properly marketed surely there would be enough interest for the events to pay for themselves.

What Benfits are there?

The GRA would be paid the rent, and also have the opportunity (if they wished) to offer a more extensive range Catering (extra cash for them).

The BSPA (because these would be shared events) would earn money from the takings plus, any sponsorship/tv money which may be forthcoming for the right events.

A track in a "major" City is kept in use with the possibility that one day regular league racing may return there.

The alternative is that NO SPEEDWAY at Perry Barr in 2015 (whether that be Brummies or Heathens or BSPA events) would mean the end of Perry Barr as a venue as I don't believe that there would be any chance of a resurection after a break of more than 12 months.

Perhaps there is another way to keep the Birmingham Speedway track (as opposed to simply The Brummies) in existence.

I'm not sure whether this would be feasible or not (perhaps someone with "inside" knowledge could enlighten me), but, would it possible for a series of 5/6 "Top Quality" meetings to take place at Perry Barr?

For example, Test Matches against Sweden, Denmark and possibly Poland. The SWC match, perhaps the British Final etc.

If these were properly marketed surely there would be enough interest for the events to pay for themselves.

What Benfits are there?

The GRA would be paid the rent, and also have the opportunity (if they wished) to offer a more extensive range Catering (extra cash for them).

The BSPA (because these would be shared events) would earn money from the takings plus, any sponsorship/tv money which may be forthcoming for the right events.

A track in a "major" City is kept in use with the possibility that one day regular league racing may return there.

The alternative is that NO SPEEDWAY at Perry Barr in 2015 (whether that be Brummies or Heathens or BSPA events) would mean the end of Perry Barr as a venue as I don't believe that there would be any chance of a resurection after a break of more than 12 months.

People in various posts have mentioned about the stadiums and lack of investments - stating that as a reason people wont attend speedway.

Why then, do these very same stadiums pack out for F1 stock cars?

It cant be the venue - its the product.......

I would take it back to 13 heats and a meaningful second half - giving local youngsters a chance to get on track

It would be nice to see other forms of racing in second halves - ie pit bikes - flat track - grasstrackers - sidecarsetc for variation but I know regulations will make this difficult as part of a SCB controlled meeting.

Back in the 60s,70s and maybe even 80s you could have done what you want - not anymore :-(

Edited by guestie8
  • Like 1