British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevebrum

Wolves V Belle Vue Aces (14th July 2014)

It's all about Team Monster for Tai now & look at the likes of Adams, Crump etc who still performed for their clubs whilst riding in the GP series.

It actually makes it worse as Tai is doing well everywhere else apart from Britain.

Exactly. It would appear that the management at Wolves are complicit in what's going on or just don't care.

• Like 1

Mark Loram went from 10.5 to 8.5 in his WC year at Peterborough.

He did have a bad season for peterbough but he was never going to maintain that average with tony rickardsson coming back and he didnt win a gp to win the title and for some reason he isnt the first no.1rider to have a bad season at peterborough

At the start of the season he was riding badly everywhere, now he is flying everywhere else but still riding as bad for Wolves. If I was a Wolves fan I'd be fuming, how many times now this season had he failed to get double figures?

Give him a break, he is totally knackered and will feel he has let Wolves down tonight. He is a proud guy and it won't be for the lack of effort he got 4. Watch him get 15 at our place on Wednesday.

If you don't want him, we'll have him!

• Like 2

British World Champion who was brought up in Australia, speaks with an Aussie accent, goes back to Australia every winter & will return to live their when he retires.

You wonder why British speedway isn't high in his priorities?.

Ridiculous comment. Not many prouder Brits (including Bomber, Scott et all) who was BORN in the UK. Like he really had a choice at 5 where to choose to grow up. :nono:

• Like 1

I am behind tai. It's common knowledge that Britains schedule is to demanding. Since Saturday night, (I was there and I'm knackered still), he has flown to Poland and back, is probably sitting at stansted airport as I type waiting for a flight to Sweden, and then back to the uk on Wednesday in manchester. Now he chooses to live that life, but I've had the feeling that he has wanted to drop the uk for a while now. The schedule is brutal, if the uk had one race night then either Monday or Wednesday would have been a day to recover. It isn't right that wolves fans should have to suffer it, but don't be at all suprised to see him drop the UK next year. To many british fans want to cry a river. Blame the bspa and those who run the sport in this country. Not tai woffinden, the man is probably shattered. I don't blame him for putting the country's that pay him more first, anybody would.

• Like 4

I am becoming beyond despair with this Wolves side.

The win and 3 points was ours for taking. We dominated, came back hard from the tactical well to go 11 up with 6 races left.

However the frustrating Woffy returned whilst the increasing liability Proctor continues to frustrate.

Both riders helped to contribute throwing away points but being careless on the track and not helping team mates.

Woffy was a liability full stop. Apparently he was `too tired` to give his all including coming out on the victory parade.

The words he said in the local press `we cant afford anymore slip ups` sits right in the back of my throat right now because thanks to him we have thrown away yet more points.

Yes, Woffy was to blame because he was tired. I`m frankly disgusted.

What a way to reward the fans who backed him all season and helped with his charity ride/donation last week. Is this the thanks we deserve now its all over??

Harsh, yes but i will not accept a rider not giving his all for the black and gold.

The class fest that was last week was replaced with something a little more ordinary although Piotr and Jacob gave us some great moments.

HOW WE HAVE MISSED PIOTR, its only been a week but thank god he was back to his brilliant best. What a TRUE number one performance.

WOLVES

WOFFY - couldn't care less on or off the track. 0.5/5

TY - Completely messed up heat 7 when on a good 5-1. Apparently `Rome wasn't built in a day` as far as sorting things out. Re-arrange the words thin, patience, wearing. 1.5/5

JACOB - Worth more points and is looking the best bet of the riders so far in the number 3 jacket. Beat Nicholls once and challenged him in Heat 8. 3/5

RICKY - Much better night and he too beat Nicholls. Surprised he wasn't in Heat 15. 3.5/5

PIOTR - Looked untouchable until the final 2 heats then he had to work overtime to pass riders. As usual a top night. 4.5/5

JOE - Contributed well and was unlucky to be caught out in the 12th. Still, a decent night. 3.5/5

TOM - A good night and should have scored more if his experienced team partner had looked after him. Some great gates too. 3.5/5 MOTM

ACES

Zagar - Top class Matej tonight and outdid Piotr 2-1. Top night 4.5/5

Worrall - Did his job without beating anyone of significance. 2/5

Nicholls - a dodgy opener but then was solid after. 3.5/5

Toft - Won his easiest race and then had to battle with Perry to score his only other point. 1.5/5

Cook - nowhere in his first 2 then it was the British Final Cook in the last 2. Definatly a match of 2 halves. 2/5

Payne - Couldnt ride the track and miles behind. 0/5

Nielsen - came good in the 14th to keep his team in contention but otherwise was owned by at least one of the Wolves reserves. 2/5

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 2

Some very harsh comments about Woffinden on here. I will admit, earlier in the year I wasn't happy at some of his performances, most of the problems being mechanical, however they have picked up somewhat in recent weeks until last night.

Did any of you actually see him last night? He looked physically drained and it's no surprise he didn't score many. In addition it doesn't take much in this format for things to go wrong. Heat 1 had gate 3 against Zagar off 4, likely would have won from there, Worrall goes through tapes, Zagar moves inside, they gated even but Tai is moved way out and that's that in Heat 1. His third ride he and Proctor led into turn 3, Proctor went way out wide blocking Tai off and they emerged 3rd and 4th. Got by Proctor and was back to within a couple of metres of Cook when Proctor came off/laid it down towards end of lap 2. Ref stopped it and awarded the race. He may have got up to 2nd (may). Final race both Wolves riders missed start, Pawlicki had the position out of 2 and took up the chase.

Some of you have mentioned about other World Champions, I don't think any of them have took on the schedule and commitments (both on and off track) that Tai has taken on this year and that came to a head last night.

WOLVES

TY - Completely messed up heat 7 when on a good 5-1. Apparently `Rome wasn't built in a day` as far as sorting things out. Re-arrange the words thin, patience, wearing. 1.5/5

TOM - A good night and should have scored more if his experienced team partner had looked after him. Some great gates too. 3.5/5 MOTM

Whilst totally agreeing about the frustration of Proctor, can't agree with you on this one. Proctor looked and waited for Perry in Heat 7 and rode a tight inside line, it was Perry who went way out wide allowing Palm Toft to come between the middle. By slowing to help Proctor cost himself a race win, he shouldn't be blamed for that.

As for Tai missing the parade, absolutely the right thing to do. Get changed, get gone early and get some extra rest, that's clearly what he needs.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

My uncle as i said before used to sponsor Mark Loram when he was at Hackney and then at Ipswich for a while.

I can tell you now that when Mark was World Champion he was expected to be here there and evrywhere 7 days a week. he made no secret of the fact that at that time his best equipment was in Poland as that is where the money is.

Peterborough is a track Mark never liked (from the time Mick Poole fenced him deliberatly and he broke his wrist). However it is a fair fast track and therefore a lot of riders fly round there. Mark not being a gater often found it difficult to catch people up round there as it was just a throttle open and go place. Those are the reasons his average dropped.

Tai has exactly the same things going on as Mark did but Mark never short changed any team he rode for never putting in more than 110% effort every time he took to the track. Tai isnt doing that. As much as i admire him as a world champion and his charity work he is kidding the Wolves fans

Some very harsh comments about Woffinden on here. I will admit, earlier in the year I wasn't happy at some of his performances, most of the problems being mechanical, however they have picked up somewhat in recent weeks until last night.

Did any of you actually see him last night? He looked physically drained and it's no surprise he didn't score many. In addition it doesn't take much in this format for things to go wrong. Heat 1 had gate 3 against Zagar off 4, likely would have won from there, Worrall goes through tapes, Zagar moves inside, they gated even but Tai is moved way out and that's that in Heat 1. His third ride he and Proctor led into turn 3, Proctor went way out wide blocking Tai off and they emerged 3rd and 4th. Got by Proctor and was back to within a couple of metres of Cook when Proctor came off/laid it down towards end of lap 2. Ref stopped it and awarded the race. He may have got up to 2nd (may). Final race both Wolves riders missed start, Pawlicki had the position out of 2 and took up the chase.

Some of you have mentioned about other World Champions, I don't think any of them have took on the schedule and commitments (both on and off track) that Tai has taken on this year and that came to a head last night.

The fact that he looked drained is an undisputable fact according to other posters. The size of his schedule is more than likely to blame for that. That schedule was his choice. On that basis are we expected to accept his awful performances for Wolves as 'one of those things?.

What grates here BW is that it was obvious almost from the get go that there was something not right, reference the Sky match comments when Woffinden & Adams were at odds with each other. Then Woffinden states that he knows what the issues are and will sort it. If it was his schedule than how did he expect to do that once committed?

What we've needed here all along is a bit of honesty from the club & the rider. Something along the lines of 'I looks like I've taken on too much and I'll do my best to deal with it if you bear with me'.

A simple sentence and it's put to bed.

• Like 1

The initial issues at the start of the year weren't anything to do with his schedule, they were mechanical/backroom team issues. I didn't have a great deal of sympathy with those as I'm sure you know.

Last night was something completely different and one where on this occasion I am willing to cut him some slack.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

The initial issues at the start of the year weren't anything to do with his schedule, they were mechanical/backroom team issues. I didn't have a great deal of sympathy with those as I'm sure you know.

Last night was something completely different and one where on this occasion I am willing to cut him some slack.

To be realistic we've got buckleys of reaching the play offs so I suppose we might as well accept the club's and Woffinden's Wolves season will be over in august and, as you say, cut him some slack.

However that doesn't detract from what's gone before and the, in my opinion, offhand manner the issues were dealt with by the rider and the club.

A shame really as it didn't have to be this way.

Well done didnt see anyone getting another thread to be about poole!!

It was a joke & had a smiley face at the end of it to show that Forever Blue.

Whilst totally agreeing about the frustration of Proctor, can't agree with you on this one. Proctor looked and waited for Perry in Heat 7 and rode a tight inside line, it was Perry who went way out wide allowing Palm Toft to come between the middle. By slowing to help Proctor cost himself a race win, he shouldn't be blamed for that.

As for Tai missing the parade, absolutely the right thing to do. Get changed, get gone early and get some extra rest, that's clearly what he needs.

Perry only knows one line, wide. All proctor had to do was block Toft from coming thru.

So you believe when riders are tired they can just not bother coming out on a parade to talk to the fans??

In that case we way as well do away with any form of victory parade as they are all tired and busy.

Woffy has an horrendous schedule, his choice.

But it is totally unacceptable to not come out on a victory parade, particularly as captain. Why not give a few words from the pits before the lads came out to at least acknowledge his poor night?

There is no bigger supporter of Woffy than me, but i felt let down and so did many supporters after the meeting last night.

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 2