British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

That must be the difference, there are loads of people from the Norfolk area who travel 40+ miles to Lynn, including me lol

You are way out on Eastbourne Speedway. In 1938 Eastbourne were champions of the Sunday Dirt Track League winning 10 of thei 12 matches. There was National League Division Three racing in 1947, then a move to Hastings for 1948 and 1949, with enforced closure by a High Court ruling following a complain by 13 local residents in regard to noise. Eastbourne were then vack for several seasons from 1954 in the Southern Area League (Ivan Mauger among their riders), then again in league racing at various stages from the 1960s.

Eastbourne (aka Arlington) can be traced back to 1928. All can be found at http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/eastbourne.html

Brighton ran briefly in 1928 when among the leading riders was the legendary Ron Johnson (Australia, Crystal Palace and New Cross fame). Look for scant information at http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Brighton%20Hove.htm

But wasn't Bob Dugards father involved with Eastbourne speedway from the early days, though as you point out I was obviously wrong about Eastbournes League history only starting after the demise of Hastings speedway at Pilot Field ,where I believe Hastings United FC still play to this day and the space where the speedway track was remains undeveloped?

Lets hope the BSPA can arrange a better run EL with less fixtures to allow Eastbourne to continue!

But wasn't Bob Dugards father involved with Eastbourne speedway from the early days, though as you point out I was obviously wrong about Eastbournes League history only starting after the demise of Hastings speedway at Pilot Field ,where I believe Hastings United FC still play to this day and the space where the speedway track was remains undeveloped?

Lets hope the BSPA can arrange a better run EL with less fixtures to allow Eastbourne to continue!

Bob Dugard's father Charlie became interested in promotion at Eastbourne in 1937, along with Phil 'Tiger: Hart. The latter relinquished his interest in 1938. Since then Eastbourne (and Hastings in 1948 and 1949) has been the promotional domain of the Dugard family. So far as Hastings is concerned, the speedway moved from Eastbourne to the Pilot Field, Hastings, in 1948 as tenants of landlords Hastings FC. However there were still open speedway meetings at Eastbourne in this era.

Dugards proposal of a 9-10 team EL riding each other once at home and once away with 4 team play offs and then any EL team who wants more meetings could run a team in an enlarged PL or run a reserve team in the NL has a lot of credibility. The EL teams could be made up of 6 man teams (which they originally did in the early days) with a higher poitns limit and I'm sure they'd attract more of the Worlds top riders over which would make the League a proper EL again. The EL teams who wanted to run in the PL would obviously have a much lower points limit to work to but could use a fair few of the same riders in both Leagues. PL teams not in the EL could run a League cup competition between them to increase their fixtures.

I'm sure the likes of Eastbourne and a reopened Birmingham would be interested in running in a reduced EL. This set up may also favour the Cradley set up which has now outgrown the NL but as yet haven't got their own stadium.

The days of fans turning up in droves every week for their speedway fare has long gone. Once a fortnight for most tracks would see a more sustainable business!

That has been my proposal for years and finally some are getting on board. Maybe a little too late for some but its the only way forward if you want top level racing

• Like 2

SEEMS that my admittedly clumsy wording about Lakeside theoretically looking at joining forces with the Premier League following the closure of Eastbourne, geographically their nearest EL opponents, has given the wrong impression in certain quarters.

Lakeside promoter and BSPA co-chairman Jon Cook is adamant that Lakeside will remain in what will most likely be an eight team Elite League in 2015 and that his club has no aspirations about entering the PL.

Happy to put the record straight and that Jon and his colleagues know they face some difficult decisions in the next few weeks to stabilise the EL which is, frankly, suffering from a shortage of available riders. But that is a problem not confined to the UK.

• Like 1

SEEMS that my admittedly clumsy wording about Lakeside theoretically looking at joining forces with the Premier League following the closure of Eastbourne, geographically their nearest EL opponents, has given the wrong impression in certain quarters.

Lakeside promoter and BSPA co-chairman Jon Cook is adamant that Lakeside will remain in what will most likely be an eight team Elite League in 2015 and that his club has no aspirations about entering the PL.

Happy to put the record straight and that Jon and his colleagues know they face some difficult decisions in the next few weeks to stabilise the EL which is, frankly, suffering from a shortage of available riders. But that is a problem not confined to the UK.

The EL and PL racing on different weekly race nights would solve most doubling up issues overnight, allowing any rider to double up taking into account league points limits wouldn't hurt either.

I also don't see the problem with squads, judging by the amount of guests some teams have used in recent weeks what's the difference, it would just be using the same guests on a regular basis.

• Like 1

The EL and PL racing on different weekly race nights would solve most doubling up issues overnight, allowing any rider to double up taking into account league points limits wouldn't hurt either.

I also don't see the problem with squads, judging by the amount of guests some teams have used in recent weeks what's the difference, it would just be using the same guests on a regular basis.

Decent fixture planning could wipe out double up clashes. Why were Swindon at Leciester on the same night Edinburgh were at Rye House one time so Worral had to miss the Swindon meeting? Why were Coventry due at Swindon on a night Rye House were at Redcar meaning no Garrity?

I swear most of speedways problems are down to its crap fixture list.

Is it then confirmed that Eastbourne no longer exist Phil?I am getting a bit confused with Dugards proposal for less fixtures.Is this an old proposal or something new that if inplemented will make him change his mind?Or has he taken this decision because he knows his proposal has or will be rejected?Just like to clarify the situation

I'm sure the likes of Eastbourne and a reopened Birmingham would be interested in running in a reduced EL.

I would be surprised if the Brummies run in the EL next year, before it all went belly up we were struggling to get decent crowds in. The team wasnt great i know but we struggled the year before with a team that finished top of the league. We rely a heck of a lot on Sponsorship and with the club folding mid season, its bound to have an effect on next year, PL more viable.

Anyway back on topic and sad to hear of this news on Eastbourne. I hope something can be done, perhaps with someone coming in to run it in the Pl on a sunday that could work. I went to Eastbourne the other year and despite the mauling we got, I enjoyed the welcome the Eastbourne fans gave me, really nice fans. Fingers crossed you can run next year at some level.

• Like 1

In my opinion Eastbourne have been living on borrowed time anyway, only the benevolence of fellow BSPA members in lowering points limits, reducing matches in the season which caused the nightmare issue with selected B Fixtures, and generally reducing the level of competition to reduce costs, has contributed to the malaise that the Elite League finds itself in at the moment.

Eastbourne due to their low crowds are a Premier League at best, and perhaps the way forward is to let the weak teams like the Eagles drop down, and the remaining tracks build their teams to a strong and competitive level, and then we might find the crowds rediscovering their love of the sport in much larger numbers.

The idea of a season of just A fixtures giving 8/9 league matches is ludicrous, riders wont be able to balance income with expenditure without the foreign travels for the lucky few, and for the fans no continuity of interest, they will certainly find other interests to occupy themselves.

At the end of the day, we have to stop weakening the product on offer, UK Elite league has become a total joke, and more than ever we find ourselves at the crossroads, decisions have to be inspired and forward looking.

Is it then confirmed that Eastbourne no longer exist Phil?I am getting a bit confused with Dugards proposal for less fixtures.Is this an old proposal or something new that if inplemented will make him change his mind?Or has he taken this decision because he knows his proposal has or will be rejected?Just like to clarify the situation

I don't see where any confusion is!

Its only the local press that are spelling doom and gloom.

Dugard wants to sell or wants a much shorter EL programme.

No confusion in that IMHO!

I don't see where any confusion is!

Its only the local press that are spelling doom and gloom.

No confusion in that IMHO!

Well it isn't only the local press is it?my comment was aimed at Phil Risings post which seems to state clearly Eastbourne has closed and i maybe take it for granted that Phils connections are not just in the local press

Well it isn't only the local press is it?my comment was aimed at Phil Risings post which seems to state clearly Eastbourne has closed and i maybe take it for granted that Phils connections are not just in the local press

NEVER say never of course. This is speedway we are talking about. But Bob has been pretty unequivocal in his comments...

http://i58.tinypic.com/1idg01.jpg

His proposal for just nine home meetings will not be accepted by other EL teams despite the fact that most, unlike Eastbourne, have to pay rent when they stage meetings and don't enjoy all the revenue on race nights.

How many clubs needs to drop before the BSPA wake up to the Major overhaul needed ?, that's 2 and counting in 2014.