British Speedway Forum
Scott1412

Remembering #rico Spring Classic Friday 20th March - 7:00pm

In terms of track conditions I think it only fair to point out that the Vortex Lakeside Hammers staged their press and practice session starting circa 11.30am and, after the photos, press interviews etc, there were many laps put in by all the team members during the course of that. The meeting itself saw seven races in the NL Pairs starting at 7pm followed by a quick track grade. We then had the fifteen heat main event match plus four Junior demonstration races all over four laps too and the raptuous applause the five youngsters received on their double lap of honour shows how much their efforts were appreciated I would say.
Given all that on track action I don't think it was surprising that the track was slick by the end of it all and it held up well in terms of not cutting up at all despite us having a pretty wet winter.
As to the crowd size, Arena Essex is a big stadium with spectators spread far and wide as they were last night.
Everyone I spoke to afterwards said they thoroughly enjoyed what was a great night to pay tribute to a great bloke, one who'll never be forgotten!
And finally I know of 12 ex-riders who were there at the meeting to remember Rico which was great to see and I could put together a really good side from those! :):wink:

Every meeting is the same at Arena Bryn, no need to make excuses for probably the worst track in the country. What I would say it was great to catch up with some people last night I hadn’t seen in ages, a fairly healthy crowd paying their respects to one of speedway's nice guys and helping out financially Emma and the boys.

• Like 1

Every meeting is the same at Arena Bryn, no need to make excuses for probably the worst track in the country. What I would say it was great to catch up with some people last night I hadn’t seen in ages, a fairly healthy crowd paying their respects to one of speedway's nice guys and helping out financially Emma and the boys.

From which I take it you attend every meeting at Purfleet.

• Like 1

Love how people still bang on about the Lakeside track.

These are people who believe speedway is all about going flat out and fast and have no interest in seeing skill and throttle control.

True you can get follow my leader on any track. Ive seen some shockers at Peterborough in my time, doesnt make it any better that its fast.

My home track at Ipswich doesnt produce in my opinion great racing.

Try watching Loram and Darcy round Lakeside and say its a poor track.

Try watching the Karlssons around Wolves

• Like 7

Every meeting is the same at Arena Bryn, no need to make excuses for probably the worst track in the country. What I would say it was great to catch up with some people last night I hadnt seen in ages, a fairly healthy crowd paying their respects to one of speedway's nice guys and helping out financially Emma and the boys.

i didn't go last night, but your assessment of the arena track is a bit harsh. You can get some very good racing at purfleet, but the last couple of seasons the track has been too slick for my liking. Let's hope that uncle Len has put some dirt down at rye tonight, it's going to be a cold one!
  • Like 1

As far as I'm concerned DaveS, I've nothing to make excuses for! I'll be interested to reading your response to TonyE's post and perhaps you'd also care to say how many of the current operating tracks in the UK you've attended so we can compare notes as it were as I've been to all bar Northside and Redcar and I'm very much hoping to get to them both this year if it proves possible.

Thanks Tocha - wish I had posted my intended route in advance!!

I was travelling from near Braintree and picked up the A12 at Springfield/Boreham.

Pretty much stationary from Ingatestone down.

Overruled the satnav which wanted me to go M11/M25!!

Unfortunately was unable to attend last nights meeting. Who were the ex riders in attendance Bryn and would any of them have done a Kelvin do you think?

Great performance from KT.

What average would this Tatum guy come in on through the fast track : Asking for a friend :lol:

• Like 1

Stand inside the stock car track and near the fence, that brings the racing alive at Lakeside!

The racing in the main has not been great over the last couple of seasons but can still have its moments and the core reason for this in my opinion is economics, I don't think the EL on its own can make the club viable hence why the track is subcontracted out fairly often on race days for practice/training which in turn will effect the track for the evening meeting, in an ideal world the track condition for the evening meeting should get priority over all else but its a compromise we just have to live with, besides we badly need to give youth riders more track time in this country and no once can say Lakeside through their senior track training or academy is not doing that.

Last week the track was always going to be in worn out condition such was the abuse put upon it in a short space of time, hopefully they will be able to gradually add more grip to it over future weeks especially as on paper the new silences should cut down the unstable nature of the modern day engine.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned DaveS, I've nothing to make excuses for! I'll be interested to reading your response to TonyE's post and perhaps you'd also care to say how many of the current operating tracks in the UK you've attended so we can compare notes as it were as I've been to all bar Northside and Redcar and I'm very much hoping to get to them both this year if it proves possible.

Since 1995 I've been to every UK track that’s been in operation, including Northside and Linlithgow. I’ve also travelled to continental Europe to watch speedway, so I think I’m quite entitled to make what I believe to be a fair comment on Lakeside’s track.

Every year I probably make 10 or so visits to Lakeside. Every time I seem to see a duff meeting! Yet when I speak to other people they seem to think with 2 passes per meeting what a thriller it was!!!

Perhaps it’s just me then?

Since 1995 I've been to every UK track that’s been in operation, including Northside and Linlithgow. I’ve also travelled to continental Europe to watch speedway, so I think I’m quite entitled to make what I believe to be a fair comment on Lakeside’s track.

Every year I probably make 10 or so visits to Lakeside. Every time I seem to see a duff meeting! Yet when I speak to other people they seem to think with 2 passes per meeting what a thriller it was!!!

Fair enough comment given what you've stated above. Given that, if we don't meet up during our respective travels this year, please do let me know in advance of any of your visits to Lakeside primarily or, as an alternative Kent, that might prove suitable for both of us to meet up to have a chat - okay?

If you visit Lakeside 10 times or more and always see a duff meeting - WHY DO YOU GO ?

• Like 1

Every meeting is the same at Arena Bryn, no need to make excuses for probably the worst track in the country. What I would say it was great to catch up with some people last night I hadnt seen in ages, a fairly healthy crowd paying their respects to one of speedway's nice guys and helping out financially Emma and the boys.

I disagree with that assessment although in one respect I can see where you are coming from.

Lakeside like every other track gets its good and bad meetings. And plenty of neutrals on here have attested to the fact that there are meetings where there is plenty of passing just as there are some close finishes and some one sided matches as there are on most tracks.

However what is undeniable is that Friday's track was the worst of the worst. Diabolical. We acmcept the fact that at this time of year , when it is very cold , it is difficult to prepare a first class racing surface, but Friday's track was unacceptable. It had not rained since Monday and no rain was expected so it's not as if they had to prepare for some unexpected change in the weather.

The whole thing was compounded by having youngsters from the Academy racing in between every few heats of the main event. I know the young ones need to be brought on but in the past they have always had a few races before the main event, which is fair enough but from a spectator viewpoint the main event loses momentum when we keep having to interrupt it for junior races and coupled with the track that was not conducive to passing it really did very little to justify the title Spring CLASSIC, because Classic it was not. I can only assume the promotion had taken leave of their senses in running a meeting like that on a track like that at this time of year when it is so cold.

Whatever the reason for it the bottom line is that £18 is a fair wedge for a night out, but well worth it IMO for a decent nights racing but not for too many repeats of Friday nights quality, although the motivation to rember img Lee was a noble one.

It's very rare for me not to enjoy a speedwáy meeting, and very rare for me to have negative feelings about the sport in general or Lakeside in particular, but unless there is a dramatic turn around in every department including the riders then I fear this will be a disastrous season. When a team built to nearly 34 points can only draw with a team built to 29 points on a processinal track crowds will drop.

We have seen good racing in the past, and we have seen teams that put a nice buzz in the crowd. A rapid return to that is required.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1

My first two meetings of the season were at rye last night and peterborough today. Both were very good matches raced in front of decent crowds. I will be at lakeside this Friday hoping for another entertaining meeting!