British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

If You Could Bring Back One Rider...

Alan Wilkinson for his true grit and determination and to teach a good few of todays riders the meaning of passion and loyalty to your speedway club.Never the best speedway rider but i m o you will never find a better captain and team rider he put his heart and sole into every race and never gave up till the race was over.His passion for his club also got him into a few scrapes off the track at a few meetings all of which added a little bit more to a good night at the speedway.

I've watched Speedway since the early fifties, also was a mechanic and sponsor, apart from Bernt Persson he was the most deliberately dirty rider I ever saw. He even had followers who carried a banner declaring "give 'em the bounce Al" which was a play on words from the Brylcreem bounce adverts of the day. I would bring back Peter Craven but I'd settle for Darcy just now.

I've watched Speedway since the early fifties, also was a mechanic and sponsor, apart from Bernt Persson he was the most deliberately dirty rider I ever saw. He even had followers who carried a banner declaring "give 'em the bounce Al" which was a play on words from the Brylcreem bounce adverts of the day. I would bring back Peter Craven but I'd settle for Darcy just now.

I never thought I would see those two names in the same sentence. :angry: :angry:

• Like 3

I never thought I would see those two names in the same sentence. :angry: :angry:

I agree bloody sacrilege that statement--not fit to polish his leathers!

Edited by Brummiestormer
  • Like 2

Although my all time favourite rider was Hans Nielsen, I would have loved to have seen some of the old time riders like Peter Craven or Ove Fundin but there are names even further back that I look at like Ron Johnston who was my fathers favourite.

However the one rider I would have loved to have seen is BLUEY WILKINSON just ahead of Split Waterman and Sprouts Elder.

The respect I have for riders of yesteryear is second to none ,but how many would fit into today's world of speedway, Parker, Young, Moore, Fundin, Briggo, Knudsson , Mauger , Collins, Olsen, Lee, Gundersen , Nielsen, Penhall and many many others were all great riders but they all come from another era. The only one I think that could possibly that could compete with likes of today's GP stars is the original PC Peter Craven, his riding style would have suited present day speedway perfectly , and he rode a JAP imagine him on a GM. Peter was liked by everyone and would be a great ambassador for the sport now as he was in his time

• Like 1

Its all about opinions the following quote is from a man who raced him on the track and not just watched from the stands.

After Wilkies crash Barry Briggs said"Alan was a fine opponent.hard as nails,very strong but very fair.You always knew he would leave you enougth room-just."

Bruce Penhall

How many titles could he have won I wonder.

• Like 1

Bill Fox

• Like 1

The respect I have for riders of yesteryear is second to none ,but how many would fit into today's world of speedway, Parker, Young, Moore, Fundin, Briggo, Knudsson , Mauger , Collins, Olsen, Lee, Gundersen , Nielsen, Penhall and many many others were all great riders but they all come from another era. The only one I think that could possibly that could compete with likes of today's GP stars is the original PC Peter Craven, his riding style would have suited present day speedway perfectly , and he rode a JAP imagine him on a GM. Peter was liked by everyone and would be a great ambassador for the sport now as he was in his time

They would all be able to cope, there true professionals and they would shine through no matter what era they raced in.

Re Peter Craven, I would imagine he would similar to what Emil is today, I would love to know the height of Emil. Peter Craven was 5' 2" if I remember right.

All the others would adapt to the latest riding style. Peter Collins would still be just as thrilling, Ivan Mauger would be like Greg Hancock - winning without all the arms and legs flailing style of many others.

• Like 2

His tussles with Compo were the stuff of legends.

Did Compo ever race against Howard, Foggy or Cleggy? :unsure:

I couldn't care less about all the 'big names' I've seen over the years. Most were just good trappers if I'm honest.

But the one rider who, since a young lad I'd watched give it 100% in EVERY race, and wouldn't ever give up until the chequered flag, is Hackney Legend himself - Mr. Barry Thomas.

I can't remember having seen any other rider in my lifetime make so many passes, nor produce such close racing. In particular, his performances around the boards upon the hallowed shale of Waterden Road are locked in the memories, and hearts, of all Hackney Speedway Supporters.

Tommo to me was the ultimate Speedway 'Racer' - a unique riding style coupled with a never say die attitude. Add into the mix one of the nicest guys I've ever met - who home and away, always made his way to the bar afterwards to have a chinwag with ANY supporters. Unfortunately, most riders these days seem to forgot who pays their wages.

And finally to add, a rider that had TWO testimonials for Hackney; having given over 20 years loyal service for the same club. I can't imagine that ever happening with the shuffling of the pack we get in this day and age.

Barry Thomas, for the aforementioned reasons, is the greatest speedway rider I have ever had the pleasure to watch race.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 4