British Speedway Forum
WembleyLion

Peterborough V Glasgow 15 May - Postponed

East of England Showground owners should be made to foot the bill for all the Glasgow fans who have paid out there hard earned money for travel arrangements, its disgusting the way these morons show no contempt for treating people in this way , they agreed to the fixture taking place & its them that have called it off they should suffer the financial costs, think the Panthers management should of at least of tried to fight the Glasgow fans corner on this but it seems they just dont care either

• Like 2

Feel very sorry for the Glasgow fans who had made plans to be there. :sad: I'm also wondering what will happen to the fixture due on July 12th against Scunthorpe and whether this will be called off nearer the date being as there will be dogs all over the place. Just Dogs Live is at The Showground on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I'm hoping to attend on the Sunday so I don't have to make two journeys on consecutive days.

This day and age there is just no logic in planning a long haul trip to a speedway meeting...Even if it hadn't been the for the ineptness of the showground management the weather may have misbehaved - and curtailed events anyhow...

Just too much of a risk with the associated costs involved :wink:

• Like 1

Total disregard to the many fans who plan ahead and book hotels etc. People will have lost money here, not to mention time off work etc etc. I can't accept any excuses other than weather related postponements when fixtures have been publicised. Not happy.

• Like 2

Feel very sorry for the Glasgow fans who had made plans to be there. :sad:I'm also wondering what will happen to the fixture due on July 12th against Scunthorpe and whether this will be called off nearer the date being as there will be dogs all over the place. Just Dogs Live is at The Showground on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I'm hoping to attend on the Sunday so I don't have to make two journeys on consecutive days.

We could have dog racing between heats. Get 4 dogs at tapes with red, blue, white & yellow coats and tie a bunny (not a real one) to the back of a bike. We could have a one lap doggy track record. Anything's better than the invisible roving mic.

• Like 1

Cancelled my hotel and I can still use my train tickets from Ipswich to Peterborough and just head up to Scunthorpe from there . Scunthorpe v Rye House wasn't the meeting I wanted to see on Friday , but it's on my way home and better than kicking my heels in Peterborough .

It's been good racing every meeting so far this year mate... hope you see a good meeting, even if I appreciate you'd have much preferred to see the Glasgow Tigers in action.

I won't be there, first Scorpions' meeting I've missed this year, as I'm going to Finland/Russia this weekend to maybe watch some speedway or maybe another rider protest, we'll see.

All the best

Rob

in reply to all the people who are having a pop at Peterborough Panthers for the postponement:

It's not the club's fault. It wasn't their doing. Everybody here - management, riders, fans - would be happier if it was still on.

You need to understand, as a couple of people have tried to explain in this thread, that Panthers are merely a tenant at the EoES - now called the Peterborough Arena although we still tend to refer to it as "The Showground".

It's been a big problem for Panthers in recent years, ever since the ownership/management of the EoES/PA changed a few years back. Basically speedway is just a relatively minor, albeit regular, event in the EoES/PA calendar. Us fans don't know the details of the deal between the club and the EoES/PA but what we DO know is that the power lies with them and not with the club.

Yes, this home meeting v Glasgow was arranged ages ago for the Friday, but at that stage the date was included in the list of dates given the OK by the EoES/PA as being available. There's also a big event this weekend, on the Sat & Sun (MCN Festival of Motorcycling) but back then it didn't create a clash with a home meeting for Panthers. Then a few days ago something changed.

Apparently it's something to do with access for setting up the event with be affected by the speedway meeting, and/or they didn't want a thousand or so speedway fans wandering freely around their stuff, and/or it was deemed to be a H&S issue. So Panthers were told they could no longer have a meeting on this Friday after all, and the meeting was therefore postponed.

Yes, they could AND should have thought about all this sooner. And yes, maybe they shouldn't have told Panthers that this date was available. I don't know, maybe the EoES/PA didn't bother to tell MCN that Panthers would be having a meeting on the Friday evening. A classic case of poor communication and lack of foresight?

Panthers can't be blamed because if they're told the track is available they're right to use it. Heaven knows it's difficult enough to fit in the home fixtures anyway given the relatively limited number of dates they get given when the track is available.

It's galling for everybody - especially Glasgow fans who have already made travel/hotel plans. And we all sympathise because nobody like to waste money! But the finger of blame cannot be pointed at Panthers.

By the way, surely any speedway fan who makes plans for an away meeting well in advance knows very well that meetings can, and do, get postponed and rearranged. It happens often, and for a variety of reasons - the main one being the weather. It's not difficult to pre-book hotels where the booking policy is pay upon arrival, and you can cancel up to 24 hours before the day. If anybody has booked a hotel and pre-paid with no cancellation/refund, then frankly they have only themselves to blame.

Similarly, I'm fairly sure that you can get a refund for unused train tickets - albeit less a £10 admin charge.

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 2

every one needs to get their paperwork together and put it to judge rinder. no fantasy hotels and stuff , just proper paperwork showing dates, hotels and any other relevant paperwork that will be required in a court of law. if you do it , it will be to the benefit of all. until then its all fantasy.

i can understand meetings getting cancelled for rain etc. but when its unavailable when its in the fixtures . its down to p/borough to look forward into the availability of the race track WELL IN ADVANCE of poss meeting/venue clashes. panthers fault whether you like it or not. management should have looked properly at all aspects of the fixture list..

Edited by jenga

every one needs to get their paperwork together and put it to judge rinder. no fantasy hotels and stuff , just proper paperwork showing dates, hotels and any other relevant paperwork that will be required in a court of law. if you do it , it will be to the benefit of all. until then its all fantasy.

i can understand meetings getting cancelled for rain etc. but when its unavailable when its in the fixtures . its down to p/borough to look forward into the availability of the race track WELL IN ADVANCE of poss meeting/venue clashes. panthers fault whether you like it or not. management should have looked properly at all aspects of the fixture list..

I'm sure you're not a person of low intelligence, and I'm also sure that your post is simply due to not having read or grasped the facts rather than pure stupidity on your part. I urge you to pay better attention so that you stop sounding like a complete numpty!

Firstly, try to grasp this: Panthers certainly did check into the availability "WELL IN ADVANCE". This weekend's MCN Festival of Speedway (set for Sat & Sun) was not deemed to be a clash when the available dates were discussed pre-season. Otherwise not only would Panthers not have had a meeting fixed for Friday 15 May, the EoES/ PA wouldn't have allowed it.

We've had umpteen meetings on Fridays (and Thurdays) ahead of big weekend events, and the speedway has gone ahead as planned. Sometimes we've had to use the open fields to park cars instead of the proper car park, and a different entrance, but that's not really been a problem.

What happened this week is that the 'other' event raised objections very late in the day. And Panthers had no say in it. The EoES/PA were within their rights - whether we like it or not - to tell Panthers they couldn't have use of the facility this Friday after all. And that's despite the fact that they had included it previously in the list of available dates they had given to Panthers. That's another thing you seem unable to grasp.

Are you seriously suggesting that Panthers should have looked at the dates the EoES/PA gave them months ago, and then they (Panthers) should have also looked at the list of other events in the EoES/PA calendar, and that Panthers should have avoided any Fridays where there is also an event on at the weekend - "just in case"? Jeezus mate, if they did that we'd be left with very few home meetings at all.

As for your quasi-legal bletherings suggesting that people with hotel/train bookings should go down the litigation route, it's totally ludicrous. Speaking as a forumite with 30 years legal experience, I can assure you that the only "court of law' it would get anywhere near is in your dreams!

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 6

in a round about way i was trying to stop Glasgow fans crying out as if they were missing Christmas . i know its difficult to organise days and times to suit every one , more so when you are ground sharing with landlords who have annual festivals/shows. i have no doubt there would have been a few Glasgow fans travelling down, but also a lot of keyboard warriors (like myself ) wanting their two quids worth of blood because they think its a ploy to not race p/borough on that. maybe some riders could be missing.

one poster sticks out and sounded the battle drum as if they were really hard done by.

the court thing was too see just how many people would think about taking that route. its ok coming on here and threatening to do things, but it takes lot more guts to do it.

so that's my take on things and as some one pointed out to me. its a forum and i choose what and where to post at my leisure at any time.

so that's my reply. not an offensive one, but a general take on things... cheers ..

Edited by jenga
  • Like 1

in a round about way i was trying to stop Glasgow fans crying out as if they were missing Christmas . i know its difficult to organise days and times to suit every one , more so when you are ground sharing with landlords who have annual festivals/shows. i have no doubt there would have been a few Glasgow fans travelling down, but also a lot of keyboard warriors (like myself ) wanting their two quids worth of blood because they think its a ploy to not race p/borough on that. maybe some riders could be missing.

one poster sticks out and sounded the battle drum as if they were really hard done by.

the court thing was too see just how many people would think about taking that route. its ok coming on here and threatening to do things, but it takes lot more guts to do it.

so that's my take on things and as some one pointed out to me. its a forum and i choose what and where to post at my leisure at any time.

so that's my reply. not an offensive one, but a general take on things... cheers ..

fair enough.

Pax!

:-)

I have a great deal of sympathy for Boro on this one.

Im sure the last thing they wanted was to have to call it off especially as late as it was but what choice was there?

To have tried to dig in their heels I doubt wouldve made any difference and wouldve just alienated relations with the landlord.

That could easily have put racing on any day at risk let alone that one date.

• Like 5

in reply to all the people who are having a pop at Peterborough Panthers for the postponement:

It's not the club's fault. It wasn't their doing. Everybody here - management, riders, fans - would be happier if it was still on.

You need to understand, as a couple of people have tried to explain in this thread, that Panthers are merely a tenant at the EoES - now called the Peterborough Arena although we still tend to refer to it as "The Showground".

It's been a big problem for Panthers in recent years, ever since the ownership/management of the EoES/PA changed a few years back. Basically speedway is just a relatively minor, albeit regular, event in the EoES/PA calendar. Us fans don't know the details of the deal between the club and the EoES/PA but what we DO know is that the power lies with them and not with the club.

Yes, this home meeting v Glasgow was arranged ages ago for the Friday, but at that stage the date was included in the list of dates given the OK by the EoES/PA as being available. There's also a big event this weekend, on the Sat & Sun (MCN Festival of Motorcycling) but back then it didn't create a clash with a home meeting for Panthers. Then a few days ago something changed.

Apparently it's something to do with access for setting up the event with be affected by the speedway meeting, and/or they didn't want a thousand or so speedway fans wandering freely around their stuff, and/or it was deemed to be a H&S issue. So Panthers were told they could no longer have a meeting on this Friday after all, and the meeting was therefore postponed.

Yes, they could AND should have thought about all this sooner. And yes, maybe they shouldn't have told Panthers that this date was available. I don't know, maybe the EoES/PA didn't bother to tell MCN that Panthers would be having a meeting on the Friday evening. A classic case of poor communication and lack of foresight?

Panthers can't be blamed because if they're told the track is available they're right to use it. Heaven knows it's difficult enough to fit in the home fixtures anyway given the relatively limited number of dates they get given when the track is available.

It's galling for everybody - especially Glasgow fans who have already made travel/hotel plans. And we all sympathise because nobody like to waste money! But the finger of blame cannot be pointed at Panthers.

By the way, surely any speedway fan who makes plans for an away meeting well in advance knows very well that meetings can, and do, get postponed and rearranged. It happens often, and for a variety of reasons - the main one being the weather. It's not difficult to pre-book hotels where the booking policy is pay upon arrival, and you can cancel up to 24 hours before the day. If anybody has booked a hotel and pre-paid with no cancellation/refund, then frankly they have only themselves to blame.

Similarly, I'm fairly sure that you can get a refund for unused train tickets - albeit less a £10 admin charge.

As it's an MCN event taking place from what I've read a Speedway Match would probably have hit the spot for the people there.

I'm no mastermind of advertising but F**K me I reckon I could get the sport recognised by the media much more than it is now.

Edited by Triple.H.

As it's an MCN event taking place from what I've read a Speedway Match would probably have hit the spot for the people there.

I'm no mastermind of advertising but F**K me I reckon I could get the sport recognised by the media much more than it is now.

They've got a dirt track championship round with an added Transatlantic Trophy element which is much more to the MCN audience's taste. They barely acknowledge the existence of speedway.

• Like 1

It was asked, MCN said no.

GOODWILL GESTURE

http://www.peterboroughpanthers.co/news.php?extend.2472.2

PETERBOROUGH bosses are to make a goodwill gesture to any Glasgow Tigers supporters affected by the unfortunate postponement of our scheduled Premier League clash on Friday (May 15).

The mouth-watering contest - between two teams expected to challenge for honours - has had to be re-arranged due to the unexpected unavailability of the East of England Showground track as preparations are made for a major weekend event at the venue.

Promoter Ged Rathbone has been made aware of a number of Tigers fans who arranged air travel and hotel reservations to this area with the expectation of seeing their team race at Alwalton.

And, to make up for that disappointment, he will offer discounted entry to them when the meeting is re-staged.

Rathbone said: "It is most unfortunate that we have had to postpone the meeting against Glasgow.

"It is an unforeseen situation and one which is completely out of our hands.

"We are working hard with our landlords to secure a new date for this fixture and we will be offering discounted admission to any Glasgow fans who have been left out of pocket.

"Anyone who produces proof of flight booking and/or hotel reservation in the area for the original date will be admitted for £10.

Edited by Noodles