British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Coventry Storm V Kent Kings - Friday 15th May - 7.30pm

COVENTRY Storm need to repeat any of their previous Brandon results against Kent when the sides meet in the Knockout Cup on Friday (7.30pm).

The City Gearboxes Storm have to pull back a 14-point deficit from Mondays first leg at Central Park but on both of the Kings visits in 2014, Coventry won by a 15-point margin, as well as a 59-33 romp in 2013.

Manager Laurence Rogers is urging positivity from his side, who will be racing their first official home match of the season after impressive performances on the road in the National League so far.

The Storm do have to cover for the absence of Dan Greenwood, on Premier League duty with Rye House at Scunthorpe, with the rider-replacement facility the only option, whilst at reserve 16-year-old Callum Walker is handed his home debut.

Rogers said: Fourteen points is a lot, but its not insurmountable, and also there are no tactical rides in a two-legged competition, so Kent wont be able to put someone in for double if we open up a lead on the night.

I definitely believe we have a chance. With a couple of 5-1s here and there we can start eating into the lead, and the boys will be up for it.

Conor (Dwyer) was close to their reserves on Monday and I think around his home track he should have the measure of them, and Callum was very nervous with it being his first meeting but the boys are all helping him and hopefully hell be able to pick up some points.

Coventry are keen to stress to supporters that admission prices for National League fixtures remain just £10 for all adults, with all children free.

Since launching the Storm in 2013, there has been major progress made by several riders, with current Bees regular James Sarjeant the most notable example, along with the likes of fellow club assets Oliver Greenwood and Stefan Nielsen, who have both won British Under-19 championships, and there are riders in this years team who could be the next to make the step up.

Rogers said: Ive been trying to push things over the last few days, and my thanks to the Coventry fans who have been doing likewise on social media encouraging people to get down there and support the Storm.

We get great racing in the National League, these boys are the Bees of the future and they really appreciate the support.

It was a Challenge match earlier this season when the crowd was under what we wanted, but hopefully on Friday well be back to our normal level of support and Id encourage any regular Bees fans who havent come along to the Storm yet to come and take a look!

Fridays meeting includes the Bronze Helmet match race following the main 15-heat fixture, with both teams to nominate a rider after Greenwood defeated Kents Ben Morley on Monday.

With a 14 point lead and NO Greenwood I am hoping the Kings progress.

With Kings top 4 of Morley,Ayres,Shanes and Baseby hopefully getting enough points.

Good luck Kent, without Greenwood I think they should be able to hold on to the 14 point lead

What kind of crowd do the storm get in comparison to the bees? do people go to both ?

Good luck Coventry Storm. I think 14 points should be enough for Kent to progress. Coventry Storm rely a lot on Greenwood & Ritchings at the moment so with Dan missing and Crang riding with the flu, I think Kent may even take the win tonight.

Good luck Kent, without Greenwood I think they should be able to hold on to the 14 point lead

What kind of crowd do the storm get in comparison to the bees? do people go to both ?

The crowds were good last year although a lot smaller than Bees. I think they are even lower when riders missing or the bees have a couple of meetings around the same time as people tend to save money for them instead. Some great racing in the NL though. Enjoyed last season. Edited by mdmc82

Agree. Doubt if there's much chance of catching up that 14 point lead without Dan Greenwood.

I watch both Bees and Storm but it's a pity there are not more of us as the racing last season was as good as the E.L. Decent enough crowd, although for the 1st match this year it was very poor. Can't really judge though because it was just a challenge so hopefully there will be a lot more attending tonight.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message including your mobile number.

Thanks

Agree. Doubt if there's much chance of catching up that 14 point lead without Dan Greenwood.

I watch both Bees and Storm but it's a pity there are not more of us as the racing last season was as good as the E.L. Decent enough crowd, although for the 1st match this year it was very poor. Can't really judge though because it was just a challenge so hopefully there will be a lot more attending tonight.

Do you think having the first official fixture in mid-May may affect attendance levels as fans are used to just watching the Bees this season and seeing a winning team and expect to go far so would rather save their cash for cups and play-offs etc?

I don't think that makes any difference really. I think a lot of Bees fans won't even give NL racing a chance because they're got the idea it's inferior and riders are falling off all over the place, which of course isn't true. Well, not unless Nathan Grieves is riding. :lol:

• Like 3

Tough ask for the Storm tonight but they will give it a good go.

This league isn't all about winning, it's about blooding the youngsters too. With the weather nice get behind them tonight Bees fans.

Yes, well done Kent......and Coventry. Very impressed with Conor Dwyer in particular ~ he has improved a lot lately. Unusual match with 13 races all ending in a 3-3, plus a 5-1 each. All done and dusted by 9.20pm with no interval. See it can be done and the track staff can obviously manage two hours without a wee afterall. :lol: Bit of a scare in heat 13 when James Shanes fell on the 4th bend and was struggling to get up and remove his bike from the track. :shock: No red lights came on but luckily he managed to get off the track just in time. I know they're not allowed to help these days but it does seem a bit stupid that no-one can assist a fallen rider, especially when James had previously had a heavy fall in heat 9 so couldn't have been feeling 100%.

Edited by Gemini

Anyone know if 13 out of 15 3-3s in a match is a record for the third tier? My guess would be it is... Ideed has there been any more thasn 13 3-3s in a 15 heat match since this format was introduced?

A hard fact to reserch i would have thought , Parsloes , still you never know ..great result for the Kings though and a good night for our Ben going through the card, wish i could have been there

Cracking little meeting with some decent racing. I thought morley looked very good. A good night for him all the points and the helmet.

Good alround performance from both teams, heat 10 was the best race of the night, I do like this level, no premadonnas just good honest racing and well presented as well even though we had a couple of showers of rain.

hoping we can at last get another meeting at Perry Barr on wednesday.

• Like 1