British Speedway Forum
stratton

Play Offs Should They Be Scrapped.?

As things stand at the moment I think the play off should stay, but perhaps make it top v 4th & 2nd v 3rd, also maybe the teams 5th-8th could have there own league cup competion to keep things going, not having an abrupt end to their season.

As there are 8 teams only in the current EL, why not go the whole hog and involve all 8 in the Play Off's?

1st v 8th [A], 2nd v 7th , 3rd v 6th [C], 4th v 5th [D].

[A] v [D] & v [C] to determine Finalists.

Give every team a 2nd chance - a bit like the use of GP Wild Cards which can allow riders a 2nd chance after not being good enough to qualify by right in an earlier round.

Edited by macca56
  • Like 2

I take it your tongue was firmly in cheek whilst posting the above :D

• Like 1

Jack Young was top qualifier in 1950 but only managed 8th place at Wembley

In 1951 he was joint 7th qualifier and in 1952 joint second qualifier

You must have detested the old world finals though.

What right did Peter Craven have to be in the 1956 Final. How can Briggo justify being called world champion in 1958 (or 59 for that matter had he won) Ronnie Moore lost a run off for the 1960 world final and he was another on a FREEBIE

Of course the 70s plumbed new depths with the 4 finals in Poland giving freebies to 19 riders. 30 % of the fields in those finals were on FREEBIES, and one of these actually won.

I could go on

Now tell me which qualifying system is suspect

All i know is now eight riders now are guaranteed a series spot every year leaving eight spots is that a FAIR system.?

sidney my friend, you, me and a few other boring old farts.dinosaurs.fossils are pi**ing in the wind where the World Championship is concerned, as our views are unworthy of respect...or so certain factions on this forum would have us believe :cry: .

• Like 1

sidney my friend, you, me and a few other boring old farts.dinosaurs.fossils are pi**ing in the wind where the World Championship is concerned, as our views are unworthy of respect...or so certain factions on this forum would have us believe :cry: .

I don't class you or i as an old Fart or a fossil Custom, it did make me laugh though.I actually like the series i still prefer the old WC always will,Wembley was some day out a special occasion and what was special was i spent it with my Dad.Am i wrong Custom? did the series have an affect on British speedway am i the only one that believes it.?

Barry Briggs maintains that British speedway went in to decline after 1981 once Wembley was lost to the sport. He felt the old-style World Championship was harder to win but the GP system is fairer.

A GP does not have the same cachet as a world Final, hence 40,000 at Cardiff v 92,000 at Wembley.

The biggest loss to British speedway in my opinion IS the GP. When I were a lad it was almost obligatory to ride British League if you wanted to become World Champion. Today it pays not to ride in Britain.

Barry Briggs maintains that British speedway went in to decline after 1981 once Wembley was lost to the sport. He felt the old-style World Championship was harder to win but the GP system is fairer.

A GP does not have the same cachet as a world Final, hence 40,000 at Cardiff v 92,000 at Wembley.

The biggest loss to British speedway in my opinion IS the GP. When I were a lad it was almost obligatory to ride British League if you wanted to become World Champion. Today it pays not to ride in Britain.

If you had a Wembley world final now you'd get about 40,000 there too.

The lower crowds aren't down to the GP system. They are down to a general decline in speedway's popularity.

Edited by grachan

If you had a Wembley world final now you'd get about 40,000 there too.

The lower crowds aren't down to the GP system. They are down to a general decline in speedway's popularity.

I recon you would get alot of people who were once regular speedway supporters going for this one/off if it was promoted and advertised properly.Wembley is a draw for me,if you went for the practice stayed over the weekend see the sites and then the meeting London has alot going for it.Also you would get a larger foreign contingent coming over for London because the place even if i am am not a lover of it is a pull. Edited by sidney

BUT there were more than 92,000 people attending British speedway in 1981 and less than 40,000 now

BUT there were more than 92,000 people attending British speedway in 1981 and less than 40,000 now

Indeed, and 92,000 was only fiction anyway.,Wembley in 1981 had an official attendence of 72,000.

The Play-off's are great, if your involved, if your not, who cares anyway..

Alternatively... "The Play-off's are great, if your involved, if you're not you advocate scrapping them on BSF"

Playoffs are here to stay and rightly so but the league leaders should be given a trophy of some sort. I believe Rugby League give league leaders a trophy but playoff winners are the champions..

Been off here about 3 and a half years and the same old tripe being talked about.

Get rid of the playoffs.

Get rid of the GPs.

Take us back to 1960.

Can see I've missed out...

• Like 3

Been off here about 3 and a half years and the same old tripe being talked about.

Get rid of the playoffs.

Get rid of the GPs.

Take us back to 1960.

Can see I've missed out...

Welcome back mate. :D

• Like 1