British Speedway Forum

Bruce's problem then was that he wasn't trying to hide the fact. He was being too open and honest. If it had been home riders. "Great team man. Taking one for the team etc etc

As evidenced the previous year with Jessup and Ross. The crowd didn't raise a murmur to the orchestrated Heat 20 from 1981.

All the best

Rob

absolutely convinced the one offs would get rid of the "closed shop" boredom of the gps.the cut off was just as interesting as the winners of the qualifyers, each round starting equal,all riders in final itself starting level....golden days!!

The closed shop syndrome has always been there since the 90s,Myself WK and Parsloes all have said that the GP series was unfair but the chance of the Outsider winning has gone for me.Ok Tai people will knock me for it he was a 500/1 outsider he at that time was very lucky to be given that chance no different to Harris. I admire what he has done a GREAT Champion Tai and he will win other titles but as a 500/1 shot he was lucky to get his chance.
  • Like 1

The closed shop syndrome has always been there since the 90s,Myself WK and Parsloes all have said that the GP series was unfair but the chance of the Outsider winning has gone for me.Ok Tai people will knock me for it he was a 500/1 outsider he at that time was very lucky to be given that chance no different to Harris. I admire what he has done a GREAT Champion Tai and he will win other titles but as a 500/1 shot he was lucky to get his chance.

So were many winners of the one off world finals a lot of the winners would never had made it if the system to get there if the system had been fair ...noting fair about having half field in the final who would never had got there .

It's amazing how old fans someone reckon that the gp system is unfair but say nowt about the old system that was a joke .

WATCH OUT SIDNEY, PENFOLD IS BACK, and his playing hes "old" card again, like you don't

know any better

Edited by ColinMills

Wrong.

It took me about 30 years to see it, but once you've seen it you see it every time after that.

What have you seen it on?

I had it on betamax for many years. Couldn't see any contact.

Watched it on Youtube. Couldn't see any contact.

Then, one day, Steve Shovlar put DVD quality footage on here. Straight away you could see the contact. It was a real "Eureka" moment. Had I been in the bath I would have got out an run down the street.

Penhall's wheel flicked out, bumped the left tip of Carter's handlebars. Carter jolted and fell off.

Not seeing contact doesn't mean there wasn't contact. Once you see it you will know. There was contact. Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise, because I saw it, and several others did too when that footage was posted.

Agree 100%. The clip is from some sort of Midlands TV Sport Show. It was on YouTube, but I can't find it now. To me it is also clear that Penhall's wheel clips Kenny's handlebar and knocks him off. It's also pretty revealing in Penhall's interview immediately after the incident when he is perhaps a little more honest than he probably wanted to to be...

https://youtu.be/nuF9BWpEDXo?t=57m10s

If he didn't touch him, what DOES he mean when he says "I felt a little bit and it was him.."

Anyway, can't believe we still discuss this 33 years on. Penhall was a tremendous rider. One of the greatest ever. He could do the lot. Professional, fast, he could gate and race with the best of them. In pure fantasyland, if there was a World Final with all the greats racing at their peak, I reckon he'd be right up there. Indeed from the last 30 years, I'd only have Rickardsson above him.

Edited by falcace

WATCH OUT SIDNEY, PENFOLD IS BACK, and his playing hes "old" card again, like you don't

know any better

Why not just stick to the subject matter for a change rather than act like a child ? the bottom line is no matter what age you are the old system was unfair

Edited by orion

Why not just stick to the subject matter for a change rather that act like a child ? the bottom line is no matter what age you are the old system was unfair

pardon? I think you mouthing off to every older person who has differing opinions to you,

"sticking to the subject".. until you can stop your insults, or admitting when you down right lie,

you can do one!

So were many winners of the one off world finals a lot of the winners would never had made it if the system to get there if the system had been fair ...noting fair about having half field in the final who would never had got there .

It's amazing how old fans someone reckon that the gp system is unfair but say nowt about the old system that was a joke .

Tai when he was 500/1 was VERY Lucky he WAS lucky to be in it we all know he had ability but people moaned about Harris getting chances Tai at that time got his break.When his dad died he changed,he regrouped got fit and now he has everything great rider good with young people( they identify with it ) great with the public he deserves everything he has got.

pardon? I think you mouthing off to every older person who has differing opinions to you,

"sticking to the subject".. until you can stop your insults, or admitting when you down right lie,

you can do one!

All i done of this subject is make a point about the old gp system being unfair ...the only one who has mouth off and made insults is you as you can't control your child like temper .

Any how back to the subject matter .

If he didn't touch him, what DOES he mean when he says "I felt a little bit and it was him.."

As Carter falls off, he does brush against Penhall. But that's as he's already coming off.

The previous contact is well, well before that. And the next contact is when an already falling Carter brushes into Penhall's back wheel. In no way does that cause Carter to call - he's already on his way down. As Briggo correctly calls (and he knows far more about speedway than either of us), Carter made a big error in giving Penhall the room on the inside. He tries to correct the situation too late, refuses to shut off, runs out of room and comes down, brushing into Penhall's back wheel on the way down.

There is no contact from Penhall that causes Carter to fall. The mistake is Carter's.

Barry Briggs: "(Carter) clips the back of Penhall's machine".

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Tai when he was 500/1 was VERY Lucky he WAS lucky to be in it we all know he had ability but people moaned about Harris getting chances Tai at that time got his break.When his dad died he changed,he regrouped got fit and now he has everything great rider good with young people( they identify with it ) great with the public he deserves everything he has got.

Very True Sid ..my point is thou the old rules meant that not having a open and fair draw meant people who won would not have made it in the first place meaing these outsiders would have never have been the final in the first place ....there was just as much unfairness about the old system as there is with gp's .

Very True Sid ..my point is thou the old rules meant that not having a open and fair draw meant people who won would not have made it in the first place meaing these outsiders would have never have been the final in the first place ....there was just as much unfairness about the old system as there is with gp's .

All major motor sports have the GP system. That's why speedway has GPs. Moved forward with the times. Rantings on this forum will never get a reversal - maybe other countries who are FIM members want the GP system?

No,not really everybody going back until the the late 60s nearly all entered the WC rounds the real underdog had a squeak now they don't.

No,not really everybody going back until the the late 60s nearly all entered the WC rounds the real underdog had a squeak now they don't.

That is a good thing the less chance of a fluke winner the better ..as I said if the old system rules had of been fair rather being stupid then the underdogs would not have made the final in the first place .

Edited by orion

That is a good thing the less chance of a fluke winner the better ..as I said if the old system rules had of been fair rather being stupid then the underdogs would not have made the final in the first place .

Was there ever a fluke winner? Jerzy( ask Ivan and others) Egon was class in 83 and 83 for me was a vintage year some great riders that year.!