British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

New Cross

"OK, just for you, newxranger, I've added that well known Belle Vue rider who guested for New Cross in 1959 to my album.....

Thanks Norbold that is truly a wonderful sight Peter Craven in a NX jacket. :)

Could it not have been taken on Wedenesday September the 23rd. 1959 when he won the Tom Farndon memorial trophy with a 15 point maximum though, and not when he was riding for them in a match? :unsure:

Could you not have somemore teeth out and do a lot more NewX pictures though please :wink::D

It was like pulling teeth getting me to post a photo of Peter Craven in a New Cross jacket. What more do you want? :wink:

And no, the photo couldn't have been taken on September 23rd as it appeared in the 16th September New Cross programme.

I do have some more New Cross photos I can post when I can sort them out.

Edited by norbold

OK, just for you, newxranger, I've added that well known Belle Vue rider who guested for New Cross in 1959 to my album..... :)

Good bit of vintage film there Grachan. Thanks for that.

The commentator is wrong about Geoff Pymar's first appearance on a speedway track by the way. He first rode at Norwich in 1930 not 1933.

I think the star was Crystal Palace's colours, iris. A lot of old photographs show riders (from many teams) with just plain body colours. I don't really know why that was. Perhaps someone can help out here?

Thanks Norbold.Was never sure what their colours were.I mean i`ve got Lionel Crossleys book and it does have a team photo with a star although with more points than the normal Dons or Norwich one.But i always figured it had something to do with the crossed gloves badge that we see.There is also a picture from a 1939 programme with a Bradford? style band across the race jacket so was never sure :blink:

Any chance of an action photo of one of the ladies?No not that sort :wink: Taylour or Cowley :o

The 1939 team was, of course, completely different to the old 1928-33 set up. I have a picture of Fay Taylour somewhere. I'll try and sort it out.

And no, the photo couldn't have been taken on September 23rd as it appeared in the 16th September New Cross programme.

I do have some more New Cross photos I can post when I can sort them out.

Thanks. I should have known it was not taken at the TF meeting :oops:

I look foward to somemore then in due course. (Any chance of a decent action one of PC in his NewX jacket :unsure::):) )

Any chance of a decent action one of PC in his NewX jacket

Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!! :blink:

While your here just thought i`d ask if film of Billy Galloway riding for the cameras at Stamford Bridge in circa Feb `28.(few weeks before High Beech) survives?Probably the first speedway in london :blink:

Didn't know there was any. That would be amazing if someone had a copy of that.

Edited by norbold

Just as a matter of interest, Norbold, what is the origin of the New Cross bodycolour?

I think it's a Maltese Cross, but I can't see why they would particularly use that. Or was the Malteser factory dahn the Old Kent Road?

Yeah apparently he and another rider from Oz turned up in England a few months before the main party of riders.They both done demonstration rides at Stamford Bridge for a number of news companies ,Pathe ,etc(possibly to be used as promotion film) .But it was only Galloway who really gave it some welly so to speak.Its in an old Speedie star.I`ve got it "handy" but can`t find it yet.Was also thinking if he was around for so long maybe he rode demos elsewhere :blink:

Found it Keith McKay was the other rider.Movietone was another company filming

Edited by iris123

Just as a matter of interest, Norbold, what is the origin of the New Cross bodycolour?

I think it's a Maltese Cross, but I can't see why they would particularly use that. Or was the Malteser factory dahn the Old Kent Road?

Yes, it is a Maltese Cross. I've always assumed it's just a pun on the name New CROSS.

Have you tried the Pathe archive, iris?

Have you tried the Pathe archive, iris?

Yeah,no luck :angry:

Special message for Gem, if you're out there. I've just added some old Leicester riders to my 'other tracks' album. No Charlie Barsby unforunately... :neutral:

Special message for Gem, if you're out there. I've just added some old Leicester riders to my 'other tracks' album. No Charlie Barsby unforunately... :neutral:

Thanks Norbold. Have looked at these now and they are very interesting, although it's a shame you don't have Charlie Barsby. :wub:

Ham Burrell?? New one on me but what a great name. :D

I've just started a New Cross page on

http://community.webshots.com/user/norbold

Hope to add more as time goes on.

Well, I've got to do something while I'm off with my wisdom tooth...or, rather, without my wisdom tooth!

Any other teams anyone would like?

Norbold I am at present undertaking a little project about West Ham! any material or input would be most welcome! :rolleyes::wink::D:oops:

I have a West Ham Speedway Website I built about 2 years ago which I had to give up on due to lack of time. It is still on my hard-drive. Hardly anything on it but if anyones intersted in running it once its online I would make an effort to finish it and put it online.

Any takers ?

Cheers

Gary