British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shale Searcher

Whatever Happened To Egon Muller And His Electric Speedway Bikes?

F1 are running more efficient and environmentally friendly than ever this season. Smaller engines 1.6ltr v6's and running ERS (Energy Recovery System). Not only is 160hp generated from the hybrid motor, today's cars also run a dyno system to recharge the battery when drivers decelerate.

What does that mean?

On the electric side of things F1 are still miles ahead of Formula E in advanced technology

I'm not convinced that electric or hydrogen power are the future - other than in cities perhaps - as they are not environmentally clean, it's just that the pollution happens somewhere else. Power generation will normally entail the burning of fossil fuels or nuclear reaction, neither of which can be described as clean; hydrogen would be generated, I imagine by reforming hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide being an inevitable by product to be released to the atmosphere, so let's not kid ourselves that these technologies result in zero emissions!

Yes, what happened to the project?

Could it work? Especially regarding to noise pollution???

I think Chris harris is using one in the GPs!

• Like 1

I was watching the IOM TT races last night on TV......... they have a race for electric bikes which is in its 6th year I think. Sadly there was only 6 entrants this year. Some of the riders are the top riders whose main thoughts will be towards their other races no doubt. However the average speed of the winner was just shy of 120mph, slightly less then last years winner but its reckoned that was due to the fact the leader went over a jump and when he laded he compressed the seat so much the pressure turned off the emergency kill button which effectively took him out of the race and the new leader could take it easy. Average of 120 mph on electric when the new lap record on "normal" race bike is 133.???mph is pretty good.

Ok, it will take some time for the average speed to improve but great improvement gas gone on in the last 6 years.

So now we have electric cars accelerating equally with the top Porsche and Ferrari's and bikes with very good speeds on race circuits. All that technology will come to every day cars/bikes that's for sure.

• Like 1

Within 2 years the distance that can be covered on a single charge will be up in the 300miles I reckon (they may even be in test at this moment, I wouldn't be surprised.

Daimler are going to present their new car in October at the Paris show which will be able to do 500km(300 miles)

The death of F1 must be on the cards, within the next 20 years the vast majority of cars on the roads will be electric, and there will be no need for development of ICE

Be interesting when F1 drivers start to move over to Formula E, I reckon within 5-8 years

Might be old school here but I want motor sport to have speed but most importantly to sound and smell like motor sport, maybe the new environmentally friendly F1 is one of the reasons why TV audiences are dwindling and in speedway the numbers on the terraces have diminished rapidly (along with the atmosphere) since speedway became more environmentally friendly in 2011. Without the speed, sound and smell,motor sport is just not the same. In my opinion
  • Like 1

Might be old school here but I want motor sport to have speed but most importantly to sound and smell like motor sport, maybe the new environmentally friendly F1 is one of the reasons why TV audiences are dwindling and in speedway the numbers on the terraces have diminished rapidly (along with the atmosphere) since speedway became more environmentally friendly in 2011. Without the speed, sound and smell,motor sport is just not the same. In my opinion

Modern speedway has generally become sanitised, completely.. riders no longer race in the real wet, bikes are now super quiet, don't leak oil, have bouncy castle for fence, tracks have no proper shale......... It's now advertised "family friendly" bring the kids.....

Controversial? Yes! But crowds averaging in the 100's, not the 1,000's

True? Unfortunately, yes......

• Like 1

Rather than them being a mainstream part of the sport where the noise is an important factor (although I'd disagree that Speedway bikes are anything like quiet with the current regulations) I could see them having a really important place in training riders.

Do away with the noise aspect and surely there is nothing to stop youngsters using tracks anywhere at almost anytime for training. The one thing British lads lack in comparison to other nations is seat time and electric Speedway bikes could resolve that overnight.

• Like 1

Introducing noiseless bikes would do nothing other than cause such utter confusion on the terraces - given that around 75% of today's speedway crowd either have hearing aids, or are well on their way to going deaf. ;)

Edited by The Voice Of Reason